Auto upshifting in manual mode?

Gazza84

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum. I am possibly placing an order for a saloon rs3 carbon trim with adaptive suspension and comfort&sound pack.
I was just wondering if it is a completely manual mode, with no auto upshifting in rs performance mode? I had a mk 8 golf r performance that let the revs hit the limiter in special mode and not upshift untill it was you that changed it. Would this be the same in the rs3?
If anyone can paste or link any info for each of the driving modes I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

That's the case in the sporty modes, not sure about Auto, Comfort and Efficiency though. I bounced it off the limiter a couple times by accident during my test drive, just because it accelerated faster than I was expecting. Haha.

Reactions: Mike.46 and Gazza84
Iv'e bounced mine off the limiter once when i did some logging of the JB4 a while back, caught me by surprise by the speed it revved out too, lol.

Reactions: Gazza84 and Daggerit
Yeh the golf 8 r did that aswell in special mode, revs shot up faster than I expected and caught me out a few times I prefer it letting it stay as a manual though and not auto upshift every time.

8V hit rev limiter and bounced there. Don't ask me how I know :innocent:

TX.

What driving modes are on the rs3 and does it stay in the mode you left it in on restart? Thanks

What driving modes are on the rs3 and does it stay in the mode you left it in on restart? Thanks
Auto, Comfort, Efficiency, Dynamic, RS Torque Rear, RS Performance and RS Individual. :) And it reverts to Auto on restart I think.

Reactions: 8YARWY
I used to think that my (2017) Golf R was 'wrong' in performing an auto up shift in manual mode and wished it didnt,
BUT
With the RS3 as said a couple of times previously if you are in a manual mode and try flooring it in 1st it is just about impossible to get the change into 2nd correct, for a couple of reasons.
1) Not only does it take a while to change after you pull the paddle (as in there is no point on pulling the + paddle at 6500rpm) as the change time is too long and it will hit the rpm limiter, trying to get the perfect 1st-2nd manual gerachange is nigh on impossible
2) When it does hit the rpm limiter it doesnt just go 'bap bap bap' like a normal rpm limiter it seems to cut all power for about 2 seconds.

I'm now thinking that VW got it correct with the auto change up (in manual mode) at least you could change earlier/short shift if it was required and get the perfect up change from the ecu.

I have taken to: when the need occurs I use manual mode, but, If I floor it in 1st gear I flick it back into S auto and let the ecu worry about that change and then take back over with the paddles :)

Lets be honest no one ever complains about the auto down change that stops the engine stalling?

One aspect I do like is the kick down 'switch' part of the peddle does not work in manual mode, I did have to stick a spacer to the peddle in both my TTS and Golf R to stop that intefeering when I got a little excited :)

Last edited:
Auto, Comfort, Efficiency, Dynamic, RS Torque Rear, RS Performance and RS Individual. :) And it reverts to Auto on restart I think.
Doesnt it revert to what ever setting you had before any of the RS modes were selected? as in it always defaults back to Auto/Comfort/Efficiency?

Doesnt it revert to what ever setting you had before any of the RS modes were selected? as in it always defaults back to Auto/Comfort/Efficiency?

Not in my limited experience in the demo car, but it was a fair while ago so I’m certainly prepared to be corrected!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not in my limited experience in the demo car, but it was a fair while ago so I’m certainly prepared to be corrected!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine certainly doesnt stay in RS Performance or Individual afer a key off, I'll check and see what mine returns to next time i'm out, i'm 90% sure it reverts to the last 'sensible :tearsofjoy: ' setting selected, not sure if there's a defualt setting if you went RS Performance/Individual and then off.

What it will also do if your in RS Performance and press the drive select is instantly return to your last sensible setting before you select again which I find a little annoying along with the sensible exhaust valve operation, as I have said before ''*** man up Audi this is an RS car''

Reactions: 8YARWY and Daggerit
Mine certainly doesnt stay in RS Performance or Individual afer a key off, I'll check and see what mine returns to next time i'm out, i'm 90% sure it reverts to the last 'sensible :tearsofjoy: ' setting selected, not sure if there's a defualt setting if you went RS Performance/Individual and then off.
Ok, checked it today.
If you are in ANY of the modes on the LH side of the screen the car will return to that mode after an ignition Off and On.
If you turn the car off in ANY of the modes on the RH side of the screen it will return to Auto on next ignition On :)

Reactions: IanL-RS3, Daggerit and 8YARWY
@Mike.46 need some pics of your red car to keep me sane :redrs4:

TX.
Heres 1 of mine to keep ya going
IMG 20220507 112530 129

Reactions: rngDeadeye, billymc92, RS03??? and 5 others