Auto to manual conversion on A3

Chef Bohemond

Reaction score
I really enjoy driving manual transmission, the automatic is definitely practical but driving is more than just transport to me I drive for fun too :). So, with my A3 2.0t being automatic half then fun of driving is eliminated.

I thought I could find previous threads on the subject but couldnt couldn't find any, so I ask how much work would be involved in switching from auto to manual? And is it super important I get it out of the way before any further modifications? Although I only have basic knowledge and experience id be willing to do the work myself if possible. Since I do have the help of friends that are mechanics, and I saw that doing it myself could save a couple thousand dollars.

Last edited:
And here I am, regretting not getting S-Tronic. :D

Anyway, on-topic, don't do remap while car is an auto if you intend to switch to manual as ECU maps are different.

Would be a headache tbh, can sell and get a manual Quattro and maybe have change left over as i reckon dsg sell for a bit more than manuals, do you have paddles on your steering wheel? Not fully manual but keeps me satisfied on a spirited run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I have the paddles, call me stubborn or old-fashioned, but I guess I just miss using the clutch. Feel so strange with the paddles. Hadn't thought of selling though, may just look into that instead. Thanks for the heads up as well, Rideen.

Our family car is an automatic so when I bought the S3 I purposely wanted a manual. Wish I'd gone for DSG now...

It would be easier to change the car.

I love my DSG, with the torque of a diesel it's just a perfect match. I would struggle to go back to a manual daily driver now.