Auto Start Stop Intermittent Failure

fatyin

Reaction score
My A3 has keyless entry system, as the engine normally starts, it will crank up to a minimum starting rpm (say 1100rpm) then drop back to minimum idling speed (say 700rpm). I will reference rpms relative to the “minimum starting and idling rpm” that I have just loosely defined in the context of this post.

When I left my foot off the brake paddle or tap the throttle (parking brake on) as I wanted the engine to start at green light, the engine did not crank all the way up to 1100rpm, only to 500-700rpm. As the engine dropped back to 0rpm, the system immediately re-attempted to crank up. After 3 failed attempts, the system said in white logo and text “Auto Start/Stop deactivated, restarted engine manually”. I then shifted to N and the engine can be started normally.

After the auto start-stop (***) failure and the manual start, I could continue the trip with the *** system working normally at the following stop lights. It happened 4 times in a month already. From those 4 experiences, the *** system could never manage to successfully start the engine after any failed attempt. Also I cannot have the engine to crank up to a higher rpm even if I applied more gas as the engine reaches say 500rpm in its second attempt. From the normally working car stereo and interior lightings, the battery didn't seem to have ran out of juice.

I will definitely pay a visit to the dealer as my car is only 1yr and 5 months old and still under warranty. I’d like to learn more of what was really going on before I can believe whatever the dealer say. The dealer in Hong Kong usually just BS and cover up the root cause if I have no background knowledge. Don’t know if dealers is the same in UK?

Don’t know if it happens to you guys as well. Any sharing? If not, any thoughts?

All I can say is that Start/Stop is the most temperamental systems in the car. Not had the same issues as you but I have had intermittent start/stop fault warnings from time to time which has been remedied by full shutdown and restart from scratch etc. Has on,y ever happened from cold.

I've had this happen to me once during winter in freezing conditions just after leaving the car park, but has never happened again, but mines a manual with normal key so was able to restart engine in a few seconds and be on the way

I've had the same problem with my car, an 1.4 122hk. I've went to my local Audi dealer, they upgrade the engine SW, after that, the start stop problems disappeared.

Hello guys, did you eventually find out the cause of the problem? My s3 has been doing the same for the last month or so.