Auto Start/Stop and Turbo life

kayeng

Reaction score
Having always owned "turbo-ed" cars, I have read up quite a bit on turbo efficiency and turbo life and the general consensus is, at the end of a drive, spirited or otherwise, its always a good idea to idle the engine for 30-60 seconds to allow oil to flow through the turbo bearings to prevent heat soaking and oil degradation. So, my query is to do with the auto start-stop feature and the engine cutting off. While this system is active, I cannot hear any motors/fans running which would indicate the oil system is pressurized and flowing. So, how much of an effect does it have on turbo life, and for the technically knowledgeable, how is this mitigated?

Cheers!

Stop/start wont stop engine unless conditions are right. Turbos are a lot better these days and there really isnt the worries that there used to be. Frequent oil changes and clean air are the key to longevity.

Reactions: 123Quattro
Interesting thread, I was wondering this myself. Though I can't stand it, and immediately disabled it with a valve controller.

Stop/start wont stop engine unless conditions are right. Turbos are a lot better these days and there really isnt the worries that there used to be. Frequent oil changes and clean air are the key to longevity.

Regarding oil, how often would you say the oil should be changed. 15000 miles seems way too much as recommended by Audi surely? Also I wonder if a break in oil change after 1000 or so miles is a good idea?

Interesting thread, I was wondering this myself. Though I can't stand it, and immediately disabled it with a valve controller.

Regarding oil, how often would you say the oil should be changed. 15000 miles seems way too much as recommended by Audi surely? Also I wonder if a break in oil change after 1000 or so miles is a good idea?
Every 5k seems reasonable and it what I do. I would say a 1k oil change isnt necessary but isnt going to do any harm. Air filter every 10k too as the Audi spec of 40k is just silly imo.

Every 5k seems reasonable and it what I do. I would say a 1k oil change isnt necessary but isnt going to do any harm. Air filter every 10k too as the Audi spec of 40k is just silly imo.

Cheers pal, 5000 is what I've always done on other quick cars I've had. I know oil technology has improved, but 15000 miles on a. performance car seems a whole lot! Will follow your advice :)

Cheers pal, 5000 is what I've always done on other quick cars I've had. I know oil technology has improved, but 15000 miles on a. performance car seems a whole lot! Will follow your advice :)
5k seems to be the best compromise between cost and mileage. I change every 5k myself and then when the service message come on I take it to Audi or an independant to keep an official history.

Same here. Oil was done at 1k then 5K 10k 15k and 20k.

Very easy car to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry novice question here but isn’t there a sensor that picks up when the car needs a service I.e oil change or is it just set to come up every 20ish K if you’re on the long life service plan? If there is a sensor then would changing the oil every 5k not mess with that?

I agree that that’s too long to wait for an oil change and I’d be prepared to get the oil done at an Indy and just the main servicing at main dealer.

There is a sensor in the sump but it only measures temperature and level. Oil quality is judged based on the temperature profile.

My interim oil changes have never had any impact on the long term oil service countdown.

Reactions: 123Quattro and Riko0073
There is a sensor in the sump but it only measures temperature and level. Oil quality is judged based on the temperature profile.

My interim oil changes have never had any impact on the long term oil service countdown.
Cheers @Dan_DJT