Auto start in traffic

Soapy

Reaction score
Hi all,

In my last car (VW Golf R-Line) when in traffic the engine would turn on when the vehicle in front pulled away.

New A3 doesn't seem to do it, anyone any idea if its a setting or not.

Cheers

i dont think the A3 has the radar at the front like the golf does at standard so wouldn't be possible

I thought that all new A3s have some form of pre-sense and thus are fitted with a radar?

I have an S-Line (35 TFSI S-tronic) and it does restart the engine when the car in front pulls away. That was the default behaviour when I picked it up from the dealers.

I thought that all new A3s have some form of pre-sense and thus are fitted with a radar?

I have an S-Line (35 TFSI S-tronic) and it does restart the engine when the car in front pulls away. That was the default behaviour when I picked it up from the dealers.
Great thanks, must be a setting then. Mine definitely doesn't but we have the same car so just need to find the way to switch it on.

Do you have any of the driving assistance options or adaptive cruise control on your car?

Reactions: DreamInCode
Hi all,

In my last car (VW Golf R-Line) when in traffic the engine would turn on when the vehicle in front pulled away.

New A3 doesn't seem to do it, anyone any idea if its a setting or not.

Cheers
Which trim is yours and is it a manual or DSG?

Mine is S-line S-tronic and it doesn't do it :(
In response to Soapy’s question, mine does have the Driver Assistance Pack, so that might explain why it restarts.

It comes as a surprise that not all S-Lines do this: I would have expected it as a standard feature (I don’t remember reading about it as a benefit of the assistance pack).

Last edited:
Reactions: DreamInCode
Pretty sure this comes as a benefit of having adaptive cruise control, all the golfs had this as standard which is why it works on them. My GTI used to do it too.

Thanks for the responses folks.

Had a in depth look through the book and MMI last night and can see no mention of it.

Not a big problem in the grand scheme of things, just assumed it would be there as I have gotten used to it from the golf.

Reactions: AdamInKent