Auto rear wiper

S3GCN

Reaction score
Now I am probably being anal here, but I find that the auto rear wiper function is most annoying.

It wouldn't be as bad if the wiper was only active when the car is put in reverse when the front wipers are switched on, so at least there would be some degree of control - by turning the front wipers off before I put the car in reverse I could ensure that the rear wiper wouldn't operate. But it seems that when it is raining and the car is put in reverse sometimes the rear wiper sweeps, sometimes it doesn't.

Is there any way the auto rear wiper can be disabled from the cars computer - I've had a look but haven't found anything.

Thanks

Personally, I think its a great feature!!

I don't. Jud-der-der-der-der-der, jud-der-der-der-der-der!

Reactions: MA3RC
It always makes me jump with the noise it makes

It cannot be disabled through the car settings, but is it when you have the front wipers set to off instead of auto?

It may be possible in VCDS, I believe this to be the rear window comfort wipe setting in the 09 Central Electronics module.

Look for this channel :-
(1)-Rear Window Wiper-Komfortwischen Heck

Reactions: pburv
Not got access to VCDS unfortunately.

It doesn't seem to relate to having the front wipers on. To some extent it has a mind of its own. Sometimes it doesn't seem to work when the fronts are on, sometimes it works when the fronts aren't on.

I thought in my previous VW's the rear wiper only operated automatically when the fronts were on. This I didn't mind as much as at least I could switch the fronts off before throwing it into reverse and so stop the rear wiping.

The issue is twofold, both the wiper judder as rear window doesn't seem to get that wet that the wiper is needed, and also the fact that when the car isn't fully clean the clean patch caused by the wiped window annoys me.

The latter is probably a bit of my OCD along with people closing the boot using the lid rather than the internal handle and leaving handprints in the dirt on the boot. Grrrrr

Reactions: Rob2k68
Just out of interest..... has anyone else here got a really noisy rear wiper? Apologies for the slight hijack! Audi tell me I need a new blade, but I never believe them!

Reactions: bluemoona3246
Just out of interest..... has anyone else here got a really noisy rear wiper? Apologies for the slight hijack! Audi tell me I need a new blade, but I never believe them!
When mine drag I use this stuff which normally sorts it out Amazon product

I bought 2 cans from Amazon in December 2012 and still have one on the go...lasts ages! Not sure if they have stopped making it though...or changed the name, as I can't find it on Amazon in stock.

EDIT* No it's still going: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/glass-care/simoniz-mixra-windscreen-cleaner

Reactions: illingworth22
I went from a 2007 Civic which never had one so mine never gets used other than when I reverse and the damn thing catches me out