Auto-Lock (OBDEleven mod)

TheBobmanNH

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just curious if anyone has a newer A3/S3 (2017+) that has successfully modified the car such that the doors will automatically lock when you walk away with all doors closed?

This was a feature I had on my previous car that I liked a lot, as I often have my hands full when leaving the car and it would be nice to have it lock itself so I don't forget. There is a common modification for older 8V models to enable this, but I haven't been able to get it to work on my 2019.

Thanks

I thought it locked automatically after a little while ? Not really tried it but I always get that irritating warning on the dash telling me that it will.
That is on the 2015 8v but now you mention it, not noticed it coming up on the 2019 car

My car doesn't have keyless entry, and like most modern cars there is a auto lock function, but the car will only relock provided a door has not been opened after unlock. It's there to prevent unintentional 'pocket unlocks' leaving the car open.
JS

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ron240
I thought it locked automatically after a little while ? Not really tried it but I always get that irritating warning on the dash telling me that it will.
That is on the 2015 8v but now you mention it, not noticed it coming up on the 2019 car
Only if a door hasn't been opened..

As above I only know about the auto relocking function which operates when a door has not been opened within a few seconds after unlocking.
I have never heard of a locking function that operates automatically after leaving the car.....but you say you had it so what was the specific criteria for it to operate?

Would you trust that kind of system anyway? You'd still be tempted to look back and see if the mirrors had folded, if you have them, to ensure the car is locked. If you've not got the folding mirrors then how would you tell? Personally I prefer the old analogue method of a finger just to be sure...

Reactions: Ron240
Would you trust that kind of system anyway? You'd still be tempted to look back and see if the mirrors had folded, if you have them, to ensure the car is locked.
Exactly what I was thinking.....so no I definitely wouldn't trust it. :worried:

Reactions: cuke2u
I think this is a newer system that isn't on the A3 keyless entry? Isn't it proximity sensor? The keyless entry i have on the Q2 i think is the same as the A3 whereby you have to press a button on the handle to enable it to search/communicate with the key, it won't know the key is there otherwise as it doesn't just open when you walk up to it.

As above I only know about the auto relocking function which operates when a door has not been opened within a few seconds after unlocking.
I have never heard of a locking function that operates automatically after leaving the car.....but you say you had it so what was the specific criteria for it to operate?

I had it on a '15 Mazda, believe it or not, so it's not really a super-exclusive function. It was called "walk-away lock" or something. It basically sensed when the proximity key was a) not in the vehicle and b) out of range, and just auto-locked. The car makes a noise when it locks so it's not too hard to confirm it happened (I don't have nor want the auto-folding mirrors on my S3)

I had it on a '15 Mazda, believe it or not, so it's not really a super-exclusive function. It was called "walk-away lock" or something. It basically sensed when the proximity key was a) not in the vehicle and b) out of range, and just auto-locked. The car makes a noise when it locks so it's not too hard to confirm it happened (I don't have nor want the auto-folding mirrors on my S3)
Fair enough....its the first I've heard of such a system though.
I understand how it could work but I still wouldn't trust it to lock every time I walked away.....because there undoubtedly would be times when I never heard it locking so would need to check that it had actually locked, which would defeat the purpose of the system. :D
Folding mirrors would be a perfect visual confirmation, but again I would be looking back to make sure they were folded.
While on the subject I miss not having folding mirrors on my S3.......it really should be a standard feature on a 40 grand car!

Fair enough....its the first I've heard of such a system though.
I understand how it could work but I still wouldn't trust it to lock every time I walked away.....because there undoubtedly would be times when I never heard it locking so would need to check that it had actually locked, which would defeat the purpose of the system. :D
Folding mirrors would be a perfect visual confirmation, but again I would be looking back to make sure they were folded.
While on the subject I miss not having folding mirrors on my S3.......it really should be a standard feature on a 40 grand car!

To each their own. :)

You can just as easily wonder if you remembered to hit the button as you can try to remember if you heard the noise. If nothing else it's a nice failsafe, if you DON'T remember to hit the button it hopefully locks itself.

You can just as easily wonder if you remembered to hit the button as you can try to remember if you heard the noise. If nothing else it's a nice failsafe, if you DON'T remember to hit the button it hopefully locks itself.
To me locking my cars when leaving is second nature and I have never forgotten to do it yet.....although that's not to say it will never happen. :innocent:
It is all immaterial anyway because I believe it has been established that the type of locking system you are speaking of is not available on the A3....or possibly any Audi.