Auto Lights/Wipers v Manual Lights/Wipers

A3_SSS

Reaction score
Apart from the obvious do auto lights/wipers offer any other benefits especially with regards to LED DRL’s.

I’ve ordered a Black Edition and not specced this option so was wondering if it was worth adding (if possible) if they do offer some other benefits.
Could anyone tell me what the differences are in terms of how the LED DRL’s function with or without the option. E.g. do the DRL’s always stay on even when headlights are on with autolights but go off when you have the manual option and have the headlights on etc…

Appologies if this sounds like a stupid question :think:

I would assume that on both auto and non auto the DRLs come on with the ignition. It's the headlight that comes on automatically when it gets dark.

I spec'd this option on my S3, as I have had auto wipers on my last 4 cars and cannot live without them now.

as for Auto lights, the switch has 4 positions 'off', 'auto', 'side lights' and 'main beam'. I leave mine in auto all the time, this means the LED DRL's are on with the ignition, ( I believe this can be changed with VCDS), off is off, side lights are LED DRL's and main beam is LED DRL's and xenon's.

also with this option you get auto dimming rear and side mirrors and the sunband that you can harldy see, infact i only noticed it the other day and have had the car nearly 2 months

infact i only noticed it the other day and have had the car nearly 2 months

When I first drove our car off the forecourt I said to the better half "they've forgotten to fit the tint top windscreen we specced". Got home and looked at it and it is tint topped. I guess there is a limit to how dark it can be so the electronics in the dimming mirror / auto wipers can still function.

I've had 2 cracked windscreens over the 2 years I've had the car, and both have come from Audi direct as I'm worried what aftermarket may do to the auto dimming / wipers kit. Cost £250 a pop from Audi, and the OE screens are still as soft as a kitten (either that or there is loads more grit on the roads than there used to be).

When I first drove our car off the forecourt I said to the better half "they've forgotten to fit the tint top windscreen we specced". Got home and looked at it and it is tint topped. I guess there is a limit to how dark it can be so the electronics in the dimming mirror / auto wipers can still function.

I've had 2 cracked windscreens over the 2 years I've had the car, and both have come from Audi direct as I'm worried what aftermarket may do to the auto dimming / wipers kit. Cost £250 a pop from Audi, and the OE screens are still as soft as a kitten (either that or there is loads more grit on the roads than there used to be).

Uh no mate cause there is a cutout in the sun band to fit the round sensor against the clear screen for the wipers, also the auto dim mirror is at a position so the sensor picks up the light through the clear glass area, not tinted part, so the band isnt lighter for this reason.

I thought it was illegal for any tint except that area, where's khufu when you need him to check if mot has anything on this.

i think its 75% of sunlight must get through, plus any of those sun blind stickers must not be so low that they encroach into the sweep of the wipers. Anything like fluffy dice & airfreshners hanging from the mirror are also failures LOL