Auto lights/wipers/dimming rear view mirror & CH/LH install complete!

ADi Nuff Valves

Reaction score
Website
www.moodysky.co.uk
Well it's been another long install. Collecting parts, reading other threads on the subject and generally pestering Ash187 for info but i've finally finished my Auto-lights/wipers etc install! (Well apart from some trim for the rear view mirror).

I had the new screen fitted on friday afternoon by Peter from windscreen replacement cost, price list to view online. He's been fitting windscreens for 20+ years and i'm really pleased with the job he did. So if you're looking to do this and can't wait for a stone to chip/crack your screen I can recommend him.

Some pics:

We had to dodge the rain to get this done. Luckily, once the old screen is out, it was only about a 10 minute job before the new one was in.

IMG 0874

I went for a screen with the slight grey tint at the top.

IMG 0882

The mirror is off the A3 cabs and the TT I believe. Might swap it for the A3/S3 one at some point. This one only cost me £25 off ebay though. As you can see, I still need the trim pieces to hide the wiring.

IMG 0876

Not had much chance to play with it but it seems to be working. Set the switch to 'auto' covered the sensor and the lights came on. Uncovered the sensor and a few seconds later the lights went out.

I'm sure this install will scare a few people and it is quite involved. As long as you know which end of a soldering iron to hold it's not too bad though. I used a loom from Kufatec which made life much easier.

Need to find some tunnels to go drive through.
blush.gif

Oh yeah, and a big thanks to Ash187 who was a massive help answering all my questions!

Last edited:
Glad you FINALLY got it sorted lol!

Just a heads up, when it starts raining in the daytime the headlights will come on but from inside the car on the light switch you will only notice the green sidelights icon light up. It doesn't light up the ambient interior lights as it still knows that it's not dark enough for it, don't get thrown off by it... It does sometimes have a mind of its own and light up the headlights when you dot exactly need it but it's a great mod!

Did they give you anything for your old window screen ?

I think i'll stick with it for now. Just ordered the trim to finish off the install.

After a couple of days with these widgets i'm finding that the light sensor is not sensitive enough (lights come on too soon) and rain sensor is a little too sensitive. I've been looking through VCDS to see if I can change their sensitivity and came across the following:

Light activation threshold. This sounds like if I could turn this threshold down a bit it may do what I want for the light sensor. However, the only option seems to be to make it more sensitive.

Light thresh

Then there is the 'light sensor correction' factor. I set this to the A3. But maybe using one of the other settings would make it more sensitive?

Light correction

Then there is the 'rain sensor correction'. Again maybe selecting another one of these may do what I want. Anyone any ideas?

Rain correction

Last edited:
I think i'll stick with it for now. Just ordered the trim to finish off the install.

After a couple of days with these widgets i'm finding that the light sensor is not sensitive enough (lights come on too soon) and rain sensor is a little too sensitive. I've been looking through VCDS to see if I can change their sensitivity and came across the following:

Light activation threshold. This sounds like if I could turn this threshold down a bit it may do what I want for the light sensor. However, the only option seems to be to make it more sensitive.

View attachment 7769

Then there is the 'light sensor correction' factor. I set this to the A3. But maybe using one of the other settings would make it more sensitive?

View attachment 7770

Then there is the 'rain sensor correction'. Again maybe selecting another one of these may do what I want. Anyone any ideas?

View attachment 7768

Having just completed the same MOD a couple of months ago. I agree that the light sensor is not sensitive enough (lights come on too soon) However, I found the Auto Wipers to be OK!

As I don't own VCDS myself (I know I should!) I'll be interested to know your findings or recommendation’s or any if anyone else can shed some light on this?? ;-)

ASH187 I seem to remember seeing a thread you put up about a similar issue some time ago. Did you get any where with it??

Cheers,

Ni I didn't really change it in the end as you can make it more sensitive but not less. I have just learnt to live with it and honestly it's not that bad... Especially as I have a set of lovely 8000K xenons in there

Ni I didn't really change it in the end as you can make it more sensitive but not less. I have just learnt to live with it and honestly it's not that bad... Especially as I have a set of lovely 8000K xenons in there

Appreciate the reply Ash, I might have a play at some point when I get my act together & get myself VCDS!

I remember I changed the HIDs on my RS 6 only because one of the lamps failed, so I thought I'd go from 4300K to 6000K although they looked a lot better & were a closer match to the Mugello Blue paint work of the RS the actual light output was considerably reduced!

In the end I went back to the 4300K only because they were better for driving around the county roads where I live.

Cheers,

do the rain sensor use IR light for sensing?

Yes, rain sensors are based on the principle of total internal reflection: an infrared light is beamed at a 45-degree angle into the windshield from the interior — if the glass is wet, less light makes it back to the sensor, and the wipers turn on - SIMPLES!

Can you post up the part numbers for the install please?

These are the P/No's together with the prices I paid from Stoke Audi

8J2 941 531 E 5PR - Auto headlights switch £67.01
8R0 857 511 4PK - Auto-dimming mirror (black) £177.47
8K0 955 559 D - Rain Sensor £145.56
4D0 971 636 - Coming home connector £3.33
4F0 907 671 B - Retaining clip for sensor £2.32
4F0 857 593 J 4PK - Plastic cover for wiring (black) £4.72
4F0 857 593 G 4PK - Cable guide $4.66
000 979 009 - Repair wires. £2.35 You'll need about 6 of these

You'll also need a Rainsensing Interior Mirror - Harness Rainsensing Interior Mirror - Harness - Audi A3 8P-33788 £29

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Reactions: Jay.Ing
I want to do this as well.
Rob, can we have the wiring details?

Thanks.

Ok, here is the data I collected & used on MY2008 pre facelift S3 to add Auto Lights & Wipers with CH/LH lights.
Luckily it seems that the Kufatec wires now come with English definitions printed on them, which is a grate help.

~ Auto Lights & Wipers – Wiring ~

Auto dimming interior Mirror
Kufatec wire “Ignition Plus” > Fuse 4 in fusebox 5A Fuse (Solder)
Kufatec wire “GND”> Earth
Kufatec wire “Backup Signal” > Pin 1 12-pin connector, black (B) Vehicle CE unit (T12c/1)
or A3 8P3 from MY2010: Connector (C) Pin 28
Kufatec wire “Signal Loom” > Interior light Pin 6 (Solder)

Rain and light sensor
Kufatec wire “Steady Plus” > Fuse 16 in fusebox 10A Fuse (Solder)
Kufatec wire “Control (Lin Bus) Loom” > Pin 3 8-pin connector, black (F) Vehicle CE unit (T8h/3) (Solder) or A3 8P3 from MY2010: Connector (B) Pin 33

Light switch (1 x additional wire is needed & 1x 000 979 009 - Repair wire needed) -
Pin 2 10-pin connector, black (A) (back of light switch) (T10e/2) > Pin 14 16-pin connector, Black (E) Vehicle CE unit (T16a/14)

Coming home button (3 x additional wires is needed & 4 x 000 979 009 - Repair wires needed) -
Pin 1 6-pin connector, black (C) (back of light switch) > Earth (Solder)
Pin 2 6-pin connector, black (C) > pin 4 12-pin connector, brown (C) Vehicle CE unit
Pin 3 6-pin connector, black (C) > pin 12 16-pin connector, black (E) Vehicle CE unit
Pin 4 6-pin connector, black (C) > pin 10 10-pin connector, black (K) Vehicle CE unit

Pin assignment, onboard CE unit -J519

CEPins.jpg

- Onboard CE unit -J519-

Pin connector:
A - 11-pin connector -T11b-
B - 12-pin connector -T12c-
C - 12-pin connector -T12d-
D - 11-pin connector -T11c-
E - 16-pin connector -T16a-
F - 8-pin connector -T8h-
G - 12-pin connector -T12e-
H - 12-pin connector
I - 2-pin connector -T2b-
J - 6-pin connector -T6h-
K - 10-pin connector -T10d-
L - 2-pin connector -T2t-

Connector A (11-pin) -T11b-
Pin 1: Terminal 30 right
Pin 2: Dipped beam right
Pin 3: Main beam right
Pin 4: Fog light right
Pin 5: Vacant
Pin 6: Flasher front right
Pin 7: Side light front left
Pin 8: Flasher side left
Pin 9: Terminal 31 left
Pin 10: Electric fuel pump relay
Pin 11: Terminal 50 relay

Connector B (12-pin) -T12c-
Pin 1: Reversing light right
Pin 2: Vacant
Pin 3: Light sensor supply
Pin 4: Fog tail light, left
Pin 5: Brake light right
Pin 6: Vacant
Pin 7: Footwell light
Pin 8: Vacant
Pin 9: Side light rear right
Pin 10: Rear right turn signal
Pin 11: Interior lighting
Pin 12: Terminal 58s

Connector C (12-pin) -T12d-
Pin 1: Seat heating shut-off
Pin 2: Brake light left
Pin 3: Vacant
Pin 4: Coming Home LED
Pin 7: Vacant
Pin 8: Number plate light
Pin 9: Brake light center
Pin 10: Side light rear left
Pin 11: Rear left turn signal
Pin 12: Vacant

Connector D (11-pin) -T11c-
Pin 1: Terminal 30 left
Pin 2: Fog light left
Pin 3: Main beam left
Pin 4: Dipped beam left
Pin 5: Terminal 31 right
Pin 7: Terminal 15 engine relay
Pin 8: Headlight washer relay
Pin 9: Flasher side right
Pin 10: Side light front right
Pin 11: Flasher front left

Connector E (16-pin) -T16a-
Pin 1: Side lights switch
Pin 2: Brake light switch
Pin 4: Vacant
Pin 5: Garage door opener input
Pin 6: Fog tail light switch
Pin 7: P/N without interlock switch
Pin 8: Dipped beam switch
Pin 9: Vacant
Pin 10: Vacant
Pin 11: Light sensor input
Pin 12: Coming Home potentiometer tap
Pin 13: Fog tail light switch
Pin 14: Assistance driving lights switch
Pin 15: EC mirror non-dipping
Pin 16: Light switch 0 setting

Connector F (8-pin) -T8h-
Pin 1: Terminal 50 diagnosis
Pin 2: Terminal 15 engine diagnosis
Pin 3: LIN bus
Pin 4: Terminal L-alternator
Pin 5: Bonnet contact
Pin 6: Reversing light switch
Pin 7: Terminal 30 reference
Pin 8: Terminal 31 reference

Connector G (12-pin) -T12e-
Pin 1: Terminal 50 switch
Pin 2: Hazard warning lights LED
Pin 3: Rear window heater LED
Pin 4: Terminal 58s potentiometer ground
Pin 6: Rear window heater button
Pin 7: Convenience CAN Low
Pin 8: Convenience CAN High
Pin 9: Hazard warning lights button
Pin 10: Terminal 58s potentiometer supply
Pin 11: Terminal 15 switch
Pin 12: Terminal 58s potentiometer tap

Connector H (12-pin)
Pin 1: Vacant
Pin 2: Vacant
Pin 4: Vacant
Pin 7: Vacant
Pin 8: Vacant
Pin 9: Vacant
Pin 10: Vacant
Pin 11: Vacant
Pin 12: Vacant

Rain & Light Sensor Coding

For coding just go to central electrics module and on the very first page of the long coding helper
(byte 0) there is a bit that you need to tick saying 'rain/light sensor installed', tick that and you’re done.

Coming Home Lights Coding

Open 09 - Cent. Elect. and select Coding, then Long Coding Helper.
Check Byte 00 Bit 5 and Byte 00 Bit 7.
Close out and select Do It to write the changes.
Next under 09 - Cent. Elect. select Adaptation
Channel 01 is the number of seconds you want the coming home to be active - 0 to 120.
Channel 02 is the number of seconds you want the leaving home to be active - 0 to 120.

Auto Lights & Wipers Useful Install links…

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...242-how-easy-retrofit-auto-lights-wipers.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...lights-wipers-central-electrics-question.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/132597-auto-lights-question.html

Mirror & rain sensor fitting: ElsaWeb - VAG Audi Å koda Seat Volkswagen Online Repair Manuals

All in I think this took about 3.5 Hrs to fit & test

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Excellent details Rob. Thank you.
Unfortunately my wiring loom is not labeled. Do you happen to know the pin-out for the interior mirror connector and sensor connector?

Excellent details Rob. Thank you.
Unfortunately my wiring loom is not labeled. Do you happen to know the pin-out for the interior mirror connector and sensor connector?

Extracted from one of ASH187's posts:-

According to ELSAWIN the pins should be:

Mirror
Pin 1 > Fuse 4 in fusebox.
Pin 2 > Earth
Pin 3 > Pin 1 12-pin connector, black (B) onboard power supply (underdash, drivers side)
Pin 4 > Pin 1 20-pin connector, black (A) Driver door control unit and passenger door control unit
Pin 5 > Pin 10 20-pin connector, black (A) Driver door control unit and passenger door control unit
Pin 6 > Not listed (this is the wire from Kufatec with Innenleuchte (Interior light) that has a pin on the wire)

Rain and light sensor
Pin 1 > Fuse 16 in fusebox
Pin 2 > Earth
Pin 3 > Pin 3 8-pin connector, black (F) onboard power supply

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Awesome mate.
I'm waiting for the CH/LH connector and repair wires.
I'll try to get all this done in the week-end.
Cheers.

As this requires replacement of the windscreen, does anybody have the Audi part numbers of the glass with the bracket already pre-installed? With sunstrip options? Thanks.

Hi Guys,

I've just made this retrofit but I have a problem.

I have only halogen on my A3 2007.

My Rain/Light Sensor seems to work (Check on measuring block 8) and my switch light seems to work to (check measuring block and the different position work (0/Auto/...)).

When i touch the sensor, the front wipper works fine but ... there is a but ... My light always stay On in auto (with or without light)... I don't understand...

Rain/light Sensor is active on Central Elec, Coming home/Leaving home active, channel 10 adaption set to 1... Help me plz guys... I don't want to replace my windscreen if my auto light don't work

Thank you (and sorry for my bad english)

If your lights stay on its a problem with wiring or hardware. The lights stay on to show you an error. Have you changed the light switch at all?

Thand you for your answer.

Yes i change my switch for a new one with Auto Position (Facelift model with Cominghome).

With VCDS in measuring block I checked the switch and all seems ok with the different position (the car see the Auto position)

When I put 0, light is off.

i was going to do this mod with the correct audi parts but not sure how it works with a 2009 with drl ,the light switch has drl option where the auto should be . i do have an aftermarket solution though just haven't had chance to look at it but it is "supposed" to offer auto lights and wipers with the equipment already fitted.

8p1941531cf 5PR

And yes i added the singl wire betwwen the swtich and E14

I want to do the same with mine to get the auto lights and wipers on my 8p s3 but there's no chance I can fit that!

Is there anyone on here that could install this for me for some moneys!

0 Error ... I'm lost....

I saw in another topic you had the same problem at begining.

Soooo ..... Don't ask me when or where ... But ... It's now Ok !!! I try a few thing with VCDS and my light and wipers work fine!!

Position 0 without light

Position Auto without light

Position Auto with Light

You can see on the screenshot the % of my light in the different situation! It works!

Now I have to change my windscreen lol =)

My Coming Home button works too (I made the harness too)

And again, sorry for my english! But this forum help me a lot!

For information I have an Audi A3 V6 3.2 S-line