Auto light and rain sensor retrofit

Josh97

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m looking to do the auto light and rain retrofit to my 2011 S3, I understand that I have to change my windscreen. I’m just looking for advice what is the best way to go about this? Am I best looking for one myself or going through with insurance but wouldn’t they just replace it like for like? I also would like the OE glass with the Audi logo too. Cheers

When I did it to my 8P S3 I decided it was easier to just pay for a replacement.
I originally wanted a genuine Audi screen but settled for a pilkington one in the end. I agonised over it for weeks beforw deciding but it was fine once done lol

I’m the same got my near side rear put through couple of months ago and that proved hard to get a genuine Audi one with the stamp and correct tint etc lol. How did you go about it did you buy the screen out of your own pocket or? Thanks mate

Yes I used a local fitter and had the choice of 2, a generic one that I think was around £130 and a pilkington that was about £160. It was a few years ago (maybe 5!) So not sure what the prices are now, but once in it never bothered me as I had auto lights/wipers:icon thumright:

Think I will do that then, thanks a lot!

Those damn road stones.......

I’ve just tried to get a price on a screen. Won’t give one until I book an appointment.

Typical, I’ve just checked mine and the one on it currently is pilkington but no Audi logo on it, could this have been a replacement before my ownership?

Car manufacturers do not make windscreens. I used to work sales for a reputable windscreen company, People breaking my balls for 'OEM' just for the badge were the bane of my existence. 99% of them all come from the same factory, car companies contract a manufacturer who make branded pieces and then the same manufacturer make a run of unbranded pieces for aftermarket sellers.

Use a reputable glazier with warranty and there will be literally no difference.
Generally insurance will replace like for like, if you accidentally get a stone chip make sure it's too big to repair.

Reactions: samisnake and abmat