Auto headlights - temperature sensitive?

RichardT

Reaction score
I have auto lights with comfort pack. I realise they come on with fading light OR when auto wipers trigger (ie when it's raining)
I noticed yesterday morning that my lights had come on. It was dry and perfectly light - mid morning. So there was no light, rain (or time) reason for them to be on. But it was very frosty. Just wonder if the temperature detector triggers them as well?
Anyone know?
(Blow it - can't edit the typo in the title!). And Happy New Year.

I wouldn't expect so, could the frost of been covering the light sensor so it thought it was dark?
Dave

I'm curious because my next car will prob have them.
Did they stay on long? Just wondered if they were activated from inside garage, but they have a timer so they not on and off all the time, eg tunnels etc

Dave

Humans don't tend to notice because we adjust quite well, but you'd be surprised just how much less light there is in the middle of a Winter's day compared to a Summer's day.

I'm curious because my next car will prob have them.
Did they stay on long? Just wondered if they were activated from inside garage, but they have a timer so they not on and off all the time, eg tunnels etc

Dave
No, it wasn't left over from the garage. Well down the road where they are usually off.

Humans don't tend to notice because we adjust quite well, but you'd be surprised just how much less light there is in the middle of a Winter's day compared to a Summer's day.
I did wonder about that, but it was a really bright morning.

Thanks all for feedback. Will check again when weather is cold.

i've noticed that too, but I just generally let them get on with whatever they want to do these days. I find if i'm driving towards very low bright morning sun they tend to be on, but if the sun is behind me they are off. It must be something to do with the UV they are picking up, unless it is a safety feature to help the traffic following behind see you due to the bright sun???

My Auto Lights came on at 09:21 this morning during the eclipse, even though there were shards of direct sunlight on the road!

This used to happen to my previous ford and it happens to my partners car as well. As the sensor makes a comparison of light I doubt if it is in anyway temperature dependant..