Auto glass grrrrr

wiggsy

Reaction score
so I was driving up motoroway and heard a dink from a stone on the windscreen and thought great I'll have a chip.. Scanned over didn't see anything.. Happy days.

Week later I'm driving home from work looked left and think my god what the F is that .. I was greeted with a 20inch crack from top down to mid screen.. I get out to check and it led to a stone chip in the sun visor right near top of glass..

Ring insurance to get glass claim number - enter auto glass (get what you pay for here- not a lot)

I speak to lady and she takes reg oh that's an a3.. no it isn't.. It's a3 size they all same.. no it's an s3..ok I'll mark that down, is it Quattro and does it have the special rain sensor.. yes it does.. All ok,

Booked then get confirmation through and it's again listed as an a3.. Not happy with this so I emailed through on the link in the confirmation email/log in - please ensure this is for s3 which has tint, sensor and ohhh acoustic..

Que my wife taking day off work for the man to turn up with the new windscreen.. About to fit it and the Mrs pulls out her list of instructions... Errm tint - check, sensors - check.. Excuse me "where's the A on the code for acoustic..." Sorry this isn't acoustic... Arggggggghhhhhhh turns out the correct screen is out of stock and I'm left with original screen, the wife down a day's pay and I'm fuming.

I Called auto glass to moan, despite my planning etc still messed up (I read a few topics on here so kinda assumed this would happen) not the point..

I'm now waiting on customer care to call me back..
Should I push for a day's pay for time and Inconveince or at min a gesture of good will payment and refund my £75 excess.. but "its ok mr Wiggs it's perfectly safe to use as its triple layered and not illegal" - we'll certainly doesn't look safe.

Rant over .. Auto glass fix up!!!!!

I agree you should get a direct replacement.
But I'm not sure that the fact your car in an S3 in relevant.
My A3 has the same screen as you describe - tint, sensor and acoustic. I think all those come with the Comfort pack.

Ohh ok my bad I thought my screen came as standard on the s3 n I didn't realise it was part of a pack.. just annoying I told them several times the spec of the glass... Had someone less savey or eg my Mrs not had clear instructions.. Which also listed check the edges for glue overspill etc not know would of had down spec glass and been none the wiser...

Do all s3 come with a slightly tinted front window or only if you added on the tints extra? The sensor is this if you added on the comfort pack with auto wipers? What's the acoustic part?

Not sure I just know this is what's on my spec, think the acoustic is to enhance the b&o and drown out road noise... Only obvious thing is the A in the code lol

All UK A3's and S3's come with tinted glass as standard (75% Visible Light Transmission on the front windscreen, 70% Visible Light Transmission both front side windows).

What is extra is the Sun Band across the top, which in the UK comes as part of the Comfort Pack.

Also part of the comfort pack is the Acoustic Glass.

More details in here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/acoustic-windscreen-or-not.211473/

Reactions: JohnM100, Chris5 and wiggsy
I have never had a screen changed on the first visit they always say its wrong, does my head in how hard can it be.

Sorry to hear you have had problems, I had exactly the same happen to me last week, noticed 6-8 inch crack Sunday morning, phone insurer, routed direct to Autoglass from my insurers phone number, 10 min phone conversation with no confusion on spec of glass, offered several time slots and had my new screen fitted this afternoon by Autoglass with no problems at all.

In your case I would ask for the excess to be refunded.

Reactions: pburv
I had exactly the same thing happen the other week, loud dink nothing obvious. next day a dirty great big gash down the windscreen from the room to just below the rain sensor.
Called autoglass, similar story had to tell them it was acoustic glass and had tint and rain sensor.
Man turned up at my work, right screen, took him an hour or so, jobs a good 'un!! So they can get it right sometimes!!

Paul

Reactions: Daveotto
So no call and I had to chase them and call, finally spoke to someone that wanted to help and had a contact in the ordering dept, think my private reg being associated to my old a3 was chucking the spanner in the works.

Well finally seems I have an acoustic rain sensor with grey sun band on its way being fitted Thursday.. And he's refunded £25 gogw.. I won't hold my breath untill it's in and sorted

So turned out they find the correct glass.. PILKINGTON and it has a small ear symbol which identifies acoustic but guess what fella removes a number of labels and most of which are hiding damage.... Not the fitters fault he was really nice on both vists but wtf this is a right balls ache!! Rebooked for Monday.

This is what I have vs what they wanted to fit before u have more drama is this same? The way his is going they'll fit it and it'll be ****** wrong item

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 237
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    908 KB · Views: 283
Your original factory fit OE Glass is AGC (Asahi Glass Company)

They have come with an aftermarket Pilkington Glass

Your insurance company may not be willing to pay for the OE Glass, or, if you particularly want OE Glass, you might have to pay the difference.

Some insurance companies will pay for OE Glass, some won't.

Aftermarket fair enough but is it same spec? Not looking to start a whole oe vs aftermarket debate but don't want to be fitted with wrong screen if you know what I am..

I have the Pilkington version with the ear symbol and it seems fine.

It's from a reputable manufacturer (pilkington) so spec should be equivalent or better and guaranteed (whatever that means) as long as you own the car. I only get worried about aftermarket stuff when it has limited time warranty/guarantee.

Reactions: Cairnsy13 and wiggsy
I'd kick off for the original glass specification not some aftermarket rubbish - however good it may be.
It's what is already there so that is what it should be replaced by.

They should also tell you in advance what they are bringing so that you have a choice to accept / refuse.
No good when he's stood in front of you with the "wrong" glass.

Agree your plate has probably contributed to this.

Hope you get it sorted out eventually with the correct glass.