Auto gearboxes

Jimmy TDI

Pro Tinkerer
Reaction score
Where there two different kinds of auto box fitted to these?

I've noticed when looking for a manual that some of the later auto models come with gear change buttons on the steering wheel. Are these fitted with a better revised box, or were the change buttons just an optional extra?

I really want a manual due to the fact the auto boxes pretty much always fail, but if the later ones have a revised, stronger box, I might just be tempted by one.

Cheers Jim

As far as I'm aware-
Tiptronic- Money pit
Multitronic- bankruptcy

I thought some v6/v8 models wear fitted with trad torque converter transmissions tho?, which would maybe be more reliable

I really wanted an auto myself but talked myself out of it and stuck with manual due to tales of misery and doom..

The tiptronic gearbox is a traditional torque convertor gearbox and is the more reliable if thats possible gearbox. Multitronic boxes are not good at all.

Reactions: mrnice
I've owned a 2000 A4 2.8q with a tiptropic for 3yrs and it drives like a dream, quick with silky smooth gear changes. I recently bought a 2003 A6 2.5q diesel with the same box and it also drives spot on

Reactions: mrnice
How can you tell which box it has without physically looking for the part number on it?

I've never owned an auto before, and would prefer a manual if I'm totally honest, but they're few and far between in good condition, and there are plenty of well specked auto's popping up all the time.

The manual selector on the tiptronic is in the middle of the selector and on the cvt it's at the bottom by "D".
CVT selector goes P.R.N.D tiptronic is P.R.N.D.3.2.1(i think).

The manual selector on the tiptronic is in the middle of the selector and on the cvt it's at the bottom by "D".
CVT selector goes P.R.N.D tiptronic is P.R.N.D.3.2.1(i think).

That only applies to earlier tiptronic boxes (and I don't know exactly when the change was). My '98 2.8 quattro had the 3,2,1 with the tip. selector slot in the middle (opposite D) as you say but my current 2003 3.0 quattro has the 3,2,1 replaced with S (sport) with the tip. selector slot toward the bottom opposite D.
If the car is a quattro auto, then the 'box is definitely an old fashioned, Torque Converter type with the addition of the tiptronic feature: quattros never got the CVT (Multitronic - or fondly known as 'Multichronic').

So are the auto boxes on these a bit more reliable than the ones the B6 A4 got then, or do they fail just as much?

Please read some of my recent posts. My poor allroad is currently sat with its 3rd dead tiptronic gearbox - 2 boxes were Audi remanufactured ones both died with unrelated problems in a period of 4 years so yes they do fail (just out of warranty!!!) and are horrifically expensive to buy £3000ish and to fit 10-11 hours labour. If you find a manual one buy it quick they are rare. 2004 car with buttons on steering wheel to change gear. BAU code gearbox. Gearbox code in front of service book.

Yeah I'm going to stick to manual as I intended.

There was just a really nice, well specked, and maintained auto come up for sale a mile away from my house at a reasonable price that had turned my head.

Sorry for the thread hijack.... What gearbox would my 2001 s6 have then?

It will be the Tiptronic. ZF HP24A gearbox. They are pretty reliable I did a lot of research on these generally only commom failure is torque converter. If you scan the auto box ecu and see

17125/P0741/001857 - Torque Converter Clutch: Stuck OFF / No Power being transferred

It's the torque converter failure (car will still drive ok.

Hi thanks for reply, I can't get 1st or 2nd gear... Even in manual mode.

PLUGGED IN SNAP-ON DIAGNOSTIC MACHINE

TC - P0730 - Gear Ratio Monitoring: Incorrect Gear Ratio

Any ideas?

I heard that these boxes go into limp mode which locks them in 3rd gear, perhaps this could be why can't get 1st and 2nd due to the fault code. I suppose this could be due to a sensor but the ross tech site doesn't mention electrical issues

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17114/P0730/001840

Perhaps someone who knows these boxes inside out can say how the car monitors the status as the question I'm asking myself is how does the car know there's a gear ratio problem? I'm guessing it asks for a shift out of 3rd and doesn't see it on something like the distance sensor f125 and therefore throws a fault code. It that's guessing. Could do with the VAG self study guide on these boxes...

Reactions: Hairless wonder
Consensus seems to be try an oil change first and if that doesn't fix it it time for a new box.

Consensus seems to be try an oil change first and if that doesn't fix it it time for a new box.
I just rebuilt mine. Was an 5hp24a. There are two typical failures. First a drum breaks, making it impossible to hold pressure on a drum. Secondly, a small seal fails again making it impossible to maintain pressure. If it works ok when its stone cold (for only like 3 minutes) then defaults to limp, I bet it's the seal. Pull bottom pan and check for pieces, there should be some of a drum broke from pressure spike.

Good luck
b61b235ecdde6ba6071b3aafe63e45c3.jpg
b8e7264980e015497729102b62563cd0.jpg

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Hi Bratcop,

Hugely impressive that you rebuilt your box yourself. Just getting the box out the car is a bigger job than most would even consider.

Lots of stories that these are originally built in 'surgically clean' environments at the factory etc, clearly you've proven it's possible to do it in a 'normal' garage environment.

Hopefully get many miles of driving out of it!

I have the same car in same colour. 167k miles and still going strong.

Clean for sure, but cmon is not a hard drive lol. I just use clean fluid, clean tools and clean bench space. Btw, for the record, I got it out and in alone and without a hoist (it wasn't fun however )

Bratcop

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk