1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto Finesse vs Carbon Collective vs others

Radford212 Nov 21, 2018

1. Radford212

Radford212 Well-Known Member saloon Audi A4 Black Edition S-line owners group

Hi all,

Seeing as it’s ‘Black Friday’ this week, I’m thinking of finally restocking on stuff I need.
    I’ve seen that Auto Finesse have some good bundles on their website and that Carbon Collective are advertising some deals on Friday.

What are people’s opinions on the 2 brands above or if anyone has any other suggestions, let me know.

Radford212

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Adam14

Adam14 Well-Known Member Team Ara Blue Audi S3 DSG

I've used products from both. Auto finesse are usually my go to. Having used their avalanche, lather, total, verso and all worked really well.
    I've used the carbon collective ceramic detailer before on my dad's car and worked really well. Think carbon collective is more of a "premium" brand. You won't go wrong with either, but is a personal preference thing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Radford212 and Bristle Hound like this.
  4. Bristle Hound

Bristle Hound Moderator Staff Member Moderator MQB Platform

@Radford212 - Always a subjective matter this one, however

Auto Finesse? I've used a lot of their products over time incl some waxes

Obltarate - Love it won't use anything else
    Rejuvenate - Way better than Lime Prime. My go to pre wax cleanser
    Tripple - Always on my shelf. Great versatile product
    Iron Out - Load of ****! Avoid
    Lather - Tried all 3 versions & gave up as I have better stuff on my shelf
    Glisten - To oily IMO
    Citrus Power - Better & cheaper stuff out there
    Illusion wax - Never got the all the hype with this wax
    Crystal - Top glass cleaner. My no.2 glass cleaner

Haven't bought any AF products for a while as I personally think there are better manufacturers out there

Can't comment on the Carbon Collective as I've never used any
    But agree with @Adam14 that the CC products are more premium

Just my thoughts ...

Adam14 and Radford212 like this.
  5. Radford212

What are your ‘go to’ manufacturers?
    I’ve neglected my car the past 6 months, all my spare time has gone into sorting out the house. However now the wife & I are in, I have my weekends back and I need to do a deep clean.

6. Radford212

Was that the ‘Platinum Paint’ or ‘Oracle’?

7. Adam14

Shampoo - Gyeon bathe
    Glass - Gyeon glass
    Snow foam - AF Avalanche
    Polish - AF Triple
    Leather cleaner and sealant - Dodo juice supernatural
    Iron/tar remover - AMdetails
    Clay bar - AM Details
    Wax - First time, used AFs and was really impressed!
    Plastic - AF total plastic cleaner

Pretty much sums it up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

8. Adam14

9. Radford212

Ahh thanks bud, sorry I misread what you said. I thought you said carbon collective ceramic coating not detailer. I’ve got a friend who has used their ceramic qd, he’s quite impressed by that one.

Waxes, I’ve got to many lol, all mine are from Obsession Wax. I bought one from there and was so impressed by it I bought another and a couple of test pots. I don’t think I’ll run out of wax for a while!

10. Bristle Hound

@Radford212 - As for my go to's, might be worth looking at what I use on new car details

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...lue-b8-5-audi-s4-black-edition-saloon.247421/
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=384976
    https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...y-blue-mk3-seat-leon-cupra-300-5-door.367904/
    https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...ic-white-black-renault-captur-gt-line.381153/

There are others but these are the most recent

Radford212 likes this.
  11. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Well-Known Member Team Daytona Team V6 SQ5 owners group Audi Q5 S tronic

I have a lot of Auto Finesse products in my detaling kit & i do rate them,but i also use other products by Meguires, Autoglym etc. All very good results for the home detailer.

12. Avatar

13. Adam14

I think this sort of thing, a lot of it comes down to using them and finding what you get on with. Hence why I'd say most people have products from various companies, at least I do.

14. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

You can use the best detailing kit on the planet but if you don't use a machine polisher firstly then your not doing the products justice in my opinion

cuke2u likes this.
  15. Radford212

I’ve got a machine polisher already, I need to get some more pads for it though. I’ve got the DoDo Juice Buff Daddy Pro (Don’t know how is stacks up against other machines) Unfortunately my car has taken a back seat due to me moving house. So all my money and time went into getting it up together to move in.
    Now everything is all together I can give my car a little tlc.

jassyo06 likes this.
  16. Radford212

Yeah I understand that, I’ve had stuff from multiple companies at anyone time, it was just it as companies had bundle deals going, I thought it may have been cheaper to do that. I missed the boat however and the 2 deals I wanted sold out.

I then tried Adams polishes, the US website and thought I could get some bits only to realise that shipping was going to be $100. So I scrapped that and so far haven’t bought anything lol. It’s not going very well..

Adam14 likes this.
  17. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

Amazon/ebay/prestige car care sell Adams kit mate

18. Bristle Hound

All about the prep IMHO

After having had a DA (& since sold it) its not 100% necessary to machine polish a car to get the desired finish

Just my thoughts going from no DA to DA & again to no DA

But 'tis a very subjective subject & some of us on here will never agree with each other ;):D

pxr5 likes this.
  19. jassyo06

You obviously didn't get on machine polishing if that's your opinion, having done without a machine polisher for years and l have been using one for almost a year now the difference is night and day especially when you start experimenting with all different compounds and polishes also may l add combining a normal sized polisher with a smaller one is the icing on the cake you'll never get anywhere near the results by hand that you can achieve by machine never it's physically impossible

sixlargebeers likes this.
  20. Bristle Hound

@jassyo06 - Wasn't the fact that I didn't get on with machine polishing its just I was getting a bit carried away with the whole detailing malarchy & needed to take a step back from it so the DA went
    I do agree you'll never get the same finish from correcting by hand as you will from machine polishing
    Its just I don't go after the 100% finish now
    There's more important things in life for me now

q5man and jassyo06 like this.
  21. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Well-Known Member Team Daytona Team V6 SQ5 owners group Audi Q5 S tronic

............i'm with you on this. Never had/desire to own one. Just take great car with my washing cleaning etc & always get coments on how good my cars have looked.

Bristle Hound likes this.
  22. jassyo06

Each to their own l suppose, l knew i was going well into detailing in a big way, l had spent way more than normal my cars paint colour so it deserved the best treatment l could afford, it's my hobby now, but l can say by using a quality dual action polisher and quality compounds and polishes it takes the paint up so many levels from products applied by hand and can also take out scratches and scuffs convincingly you can machine polish your alloys etc etc

23. sixlargebeers

sixlargebeers Active Member

Jassy - which smaller polisher would you recommend to complement the DAS6 Pro Plus mate ?

24. jassyo06

3 or 4 inch mate and is it just polishing pad yer looking for or a correcting one

25. sixlargebeers

Thanks Jassy - probably both polishing and correcting at some point.

26. jassyo06

These pads come highly recommended mate and it'll be the Orange pad you'll want Screenshot_20181128-180434.png

27. THQuattro

THQuattro Site Sponsor Site Sponsor Team Avus Silver Team Panther Team V8 Team V6 VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Team Silver Audi RS4 Audi S4 saloon Audi A4 quattro Audi Cabriolet Owner Group S-line owners group Manual

Have you tried my products
    https://www.tjscarcare.com/

28. THQuattro

THQuattro Site Sponsor Site Sponsor Team Avus Silver Team Panther Team V8 Team V6 VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Team Silver Audi RS4 Audi S4 saloon Audi A4 quattro Audi Cabriolet Owner Group S-line owners group Manual

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/tj-s-black-friday-sale.381813/#post-3352179

q5man likes this.
  29. sixlargebeers

Thanks for the pad recommendation Jassy.

What about the smaller polisher itself ? Or do I just get a smaller backing plate for the DAs 6 Pro plus ? Forgive my ignorance - new to this polishing lark LOL !

jassyo06 likes this.
  30. jassyo06

You can't change the backing plate size on the DAS 6 Pro plus mate but this little bargain will the job even better i paid £330 for the Flex version and this one is less than a 3rd of the price and will do the same job Screenshot_20181128-212332.png and the liquid elements pad range do pads to fit it as well

Adam14 and sixlargebeers like this.
  31. sixlargebeers

perfect thanks mate.

jassyo06 likes this.
  32. jassyo06

Yer welcome mate....the smaller Dual Action polishers are actually easier to use.....than they're larger counterparts and also give the same fantastic results

33. Avatar

34. Radford212

Seriously considering getting one of these to go along with my Das 6.

No I haven’t, I’ll have a look later on and see what’s what. Thanks for the heads up.

35. jassyo06

36. AllanG

AllanG Q5 TFSI

The concern I have with using a polishing machine is that, surely, each time you use it, aren't you reducing the thickness of the clear coat, be it only by a few microns? I can see a machine polisher is ideal for initial correction of a vehicles paint finish, but once this is done, I can't see the need to machine polish regularly thereafter, except for removing the odd scratch or two.

37. jassyo06

There's all different levels/types of compounds and polishes mate, l can polish my car 5 times a year. say but l won't shave any clear coat off Menzerna for instance do a full range of compounds from a heavy cutting compound.... Right through to say super finish 3500 which has a tiny bit cut, through to 3800 which has no cut.... Pads types play a big roll in paint correction as well. ....

38. AllanG

AllanG Q5 TFSI

Thanks, jassyo06.....looks like I've got a lot to learn about this detailing malarkey lol!!

jassyo06 likes this.
  39. THQuattro

I need a mini so i think you have just cost me £95 ha ha

jassyo06 likes this.
  40. jassyo06

Cheap as chips for a mini dual action polisher mate

THQuattro likes this.