Auto dipping passenger mirror

AndyKnight

Reaction score
My previous m135i used to auto dip the passenger wing mirror when reversing and put it back to normal once back in a forward gear.

It looks my S3 does this if the mirror select dial is set to the passenger mirror but it never goes back to normal position after dipping unless I move the mirror select knob. Is this normal or is there something I am missing?

I used Carista to code mine to do this, but as far as I remember it goes back up when I go back into drive

Once you select drive and drive off it'll go back to normal. Least that's what my S3 does. I know my mates S1 dips when the left mirror is selected, but only goes up when the mirror dial is back to centre.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yeah it never goes back to normal position unless I centre the mirror select knob.

Sometimes it seems to get out of sync, and you have to manually put the mirror back. Generally speaking it works fine though.
Yes - you need to leave the control in the passenger mirror position.

Reactions: Ormesome
Mine doesn’t go back to where it should either at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you need to have the folding mirror option for it to work? Just spit balling here. I.e. the option on the mirror dial to fold the mirrors in, maybe that's what puts them up automatically when driving off.

I've got folding mirrors, sorry should have said.

Not sure. They definitely should. My dial is most of the time pointed left, when in reverse it dips. When I come out of reverse into drive or park (I think) they come straight back up.

I activated mine with Carista and it goes up and down fine but I find it goes down to far. Is there any way of limiting the dip?

When
I activated mine with Carista and it goes up and down fine but I find it goes down to far. Is there any way of limiting the dip?[/QUOTE

When the mirror has dipped after selecting reverse, adjust the mirror to where you would like it to be in that position. This should not affect the memory of the normal position when it raises again. Only problem I have encountered is that if you don’t have the folding mirror option like me, then sometimes the memories forget where they are meant to be and require adjusting occasionally. I have the folding mirrors on my previous A3 and never had this problem.

When

When the mirror has dipped after selecting reverse, adjust the mirror to where you would like it to be in that position. This should not affect the memory of the normal position when it raises again. Only problem I have encountered is that if you don’t have the folding mirror option like me, then sometimes the memories forget where they are meant to be and require adjusting occasionally. I have the folding mirrors on my previous A3 and never had this problem.
I’ll give that a go mate... cheers

When activated with Carista, you don't need to have folding mirrors. I had an A3 with folding mirrors and it worked great, stored the position I wanted and returned to it. With my new Q2 it wont remember it no matter what I do as I dont have folding mirrors. Basically Carista codes it to go down fully when put in reverse and then back up fully when put in drive. In my car it doesn't remember the setting I have stored, just goes back to car default. Annoying, but then if I manually put it down then I will have to re-configure my setting anyway so its no different really other than I don't have to press the down or up switch every time I reverse.

Pretty sure mine only goes from dipped to normal position after driving forward a bit. If I’m stationary after reversing the mirror stays dipped until I take the key out or drive forward.

After you have been in reverse it doesn’t immediately adjust the mirror back to the starting position once in a forward gear. You have to be going forward above a certain speed, about 5mph.

Ahhh I never realised you actually had to drive forward lol. I thought it would be just based on a forward gear selection.

Ahhh I never realised you actually had to drive forward lol. I thought it would be just based on a forward gear selection.

Yes I presume it stays dipped until it thinks you are no longer manoeuvring to park or whatever which is why you have to be going forward above a certain speed.

I have a new A3 68 plate and can’t get the mirror dip function to work at all with Carista. My S-line model doesn’t have folding mirrors so would appreciate any help from anyone who’s managed to activate....
Thanks in advance!!

I have a new A3 68 plate and can’t get the mirror dip function to work at all with Carista. My S-line model doesn’t have folding mirrors so would appreciate any help from anyone who’s managed to activate....
Thanks in advance!!
Should work if you follow the advice in this thread. Really simple to do. Just remember to put your mirror knob to the corresponding side otherwise it wont dip.

Should work if you follow the advice in this thread. Really simple to do. Just remember to put your mirror knob to the corresponding side otherwise it wont dip.
Thanks for your response....
I’ve followed every conceivable option but to no avail. Was hoping someone with same spec car had activated and could tell me their solution!

Thanks for your response....
I’ve followed every conceivable option but to no avail. Was hoping someone with same spec car had activated and could tell me their solution!
If they're electrically adjustable should work. Put car in reverse, and use the door knob to select passenger side and adjust the mirror to where you'd like it to dip to. In future, just ensure passenger mirror is selected and when put in reverse it should dip

I had AUDI do it as a favour as I didn’t have the folding mirror option either. They’ve changed the coding so it works but it doesn’t work perfectly, the mirror doesn’t always return to the same place. Slightly annoying but I’m living with it

Occasionally it fails to return even if it is fitted from the factory. But only very occasionally.
This has been mentioned several times on here.

Occasionally it fails to return even if it is fitted from the factory. But only very occasionally.
This has been mentioned several times on here.
Mine does it most times, to varying degrees. I had folding mirrors on my last A3 with no problems, this semi-retro fit if you can call it that is a bit rubbish but better than nothing I guess.

What is it in the folding mirrors that gives it memory to return to position?
Had a few Audi’s now and done this vcds dip on reverse mod. The ones with the folding mirrors always work and returns to position but the non folding quite often returns to another position.
Just retrofitted folding mirrors last week and it’s always return to the correct position whereas my non folding every 2nd or 3rd time I reverse it returns to pointing to the sky.

Yea it’s weird, I don’t get it at all. Must be some reason but unfortunately I don’t have the answer :(

I don’t have folding mirrors but I could enable the dip via VCDS. The problem I have though is that it won’t remember the location when I realise it slightly, as it dips to far. When it does rise back up it goes right passed the usual position and points to the sky.

In my case I’m using the same modules from my non folding in my folding mirrors. So it’s not the modules which is where you would expect it to be.
Must be additional bits within the mirror or some software that only works with the folding mirrors.

Reactions: Pook
In my case I’m using the same modules from my non folding in my folding mirrors. So it’s not the modules which is where you would expect it to be.
Must be additional bits within the mirror or some software that only works with the folding mirrors.
Interesting you don’t have the module part number do you so I can cross reference them with mine?

Interesting you don’t have the module part number do you so I can cross reference them with mine?
5Q0 959 593 E
If you look at the retrofit thread there’s a bit more info there as well.

Reactions: Marky79
This issue has been well thrashed out in many MQB forums. The consensus is you need two items for the reverse dip to work correctly, i.e. folding mirrors and the door control module (highline) which usually comes with the folding mirror package.

The folding mirrors have additional electronics inside which can track the correct location of the mirror prior to dipping and returning. This info is fed to the door control module, which in turn regulates the electric motors. Cars without folding mirrors usually have the lowline control module, which cannot properly regulate the motors.

It is easy to code for the mirrors to dip in reverse using VCDS etc, but as many found out they will not return to the correct position.

This issue has been well thrashed out in many MQB forums. The consensus is you need two items for the reverse dip to work correctly, i.e. folding mirrors and the door control module (highline) which usually comes with the folding mirror package.

That's strange because mirrors have totally separate circuitry for the mirror folding and mirror glass adjustment/memory. The folding motor has only two wires that go straight to the connector for the door module, no circuitry in the middle. Submit a 12 V signal and it folds, reverse the polarity and it unfolds, it's that simple. The mirror glass motors typically have 7 wires, 3 for the motor and 4 for the mirror memory, and wires also go straight to the connector. The motor has 3 wires, one of them is a common and the others control the movement in the X and Y axis. Reversal of the polarity inverts the movement. The memory has 2 wires for each axis and it corresponds to simple variable resistors. Door module seems to read their values and store them when they are in drive position and parking position, then makes the mirror glass move until the values are reached when positioning is required. Also a simple operation. I suspect that the fails for the mirror dipping to work properly are more probably due to faulty memory motors than to something really related to the presence of folding. Another cause might be related to the door module itself. Has anyone checked if the problem occurs more frequently with older firmware versions, or if it no longer occurs with newer ones?

The non-folding mirror is missing the position memory circuitry entirely. If you compare the wiring harness of a folding mirror vs a non-folding mirror, you will find quite a few wires less on the non-folding variant. A while back I ordered a passenger side highline door module from ebay thinking it was all I needed to get the reverse dip working. When I was about to install the new module, I looked at the module connector and noticed the module has way more male pins than I have wires on my mirror. Checking the workshop wiring diagram and pin out numbers confirm that the position memory circuitry is missing as there are no wires for it.

Another big clue is you can use VCDS to view the passenger door mirror position reference as an output. With a non-folding mirror and a lowline module, the reference value does not change when the mirror position is adjusted.

The non-folding mirror is missing the position memory circuitry entirely. If you compare the wiring harness of a folding mirror vs a non-folding mirror, you will find quite a few wires less on the non-folding variant. A while back I ordered a passenger side highline door module from ebay thinking it was all I needed to get the reverse dip working. When I was about to install the new module, I looked at the module connector and noticed the module has way more male pins than I have wires on my mirror. Checking the workshop wiring diagram and pin out numbers confirm that the position memory circuitry is missing as there are no wires for it.

Another big clue is you can use VCDS to view the passenger door mirror position reference as an output. With a non-folding mirror and a lowline module, the reference value does not change when the mirror position is adjusted.

Mirrors installed from factory along with lowline modules are always non-memory, non-folding and they have only six wires in the connector (ground, indicator, heating, and 3 for the glass adjustment motor), in both passenger and driver side. If that was your case before buying the highline modules, your mirrors really had no memory circuitry. But the usual configuration in cars with highline modules is passenger side mirrors with memory, even if they are non-folding. Driver side mirrors don't have memory, of course. Most complaints from owners seem to be about mirror dipping sometimes working, sometimes not, or even dipping properly and only failing to return to normal position. I suppose if all non-folding mirrors were also non-memory, the mirror dipping would fail all the times.

OK, I misunderstood the gist of the conversation in this thread as I thought people are having trouble enabling dipping via VCDS and wondering why the mirror does not return to the correct position. If a car with highline module happens to have non-folding mirrors (not sure if this actually is possible, VAG has so many market variants), I would assume the mirrors may actually have the memory circuitry in place.