Auto Dimming Side Mirrors, Which Door Module?

audiandy81

Reaction score
Hi All

Ive gone though the effort to wire up my auto dim side mirrors only for them to not auto dim.
After head scratching and wire checking it appears the door module/window motor doesnt have the pin outs for the auto dim. Does anyone know what part number module I require? Can I just swap them or will I need to get VCDS out?
Nothings simple...

Current Module

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20171112_111318.jpg
    IMG_20171112_111318.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,443
Hi All

Ive gone though the effort to wire up my auto dim side mirrors only for them to not auto dim.
After head scratching and wire checking it appears the door module/window motor doesnt have the pin outs for the auto dim. Does anyone know what part number module I require? Can I just swap them or will I need to get VCDS out?
Nothings simple...

Current Module

Thanks
Believe you need
8E2959802D
8E2959801D
I have these in my S4 and they do auto fold so expect they do dim as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

They won’t autodim themselves even after installing the correct controllers you need the wiring from the rear view mirror down to the doors too.

Are those part numbers correct? Google returns zero results. Not doubting you just hoped i could see a pic by googling part numbers.
Ive done all the wiring :)

The mirror connector on the module only has pins on one side.
The autodim mirrors are the only connection on the other side of the mirror plug. (not the best pic)

Attachments

• IMG_20171112_120857.jpg
    IMG_20171112_120857.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 662
  • IMG_20171112_120959.jpg
    IMG_20171112_120959.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 931
Are those part numbers correct? Google returns zero results. Not doubting you just hoped i could see a pic by googling part numbers.
Ive done all the wiring :)

The mirror connector on the module only has pins on one side.
The autodim mirrors are the only connection on the other side of the mirror plug. (not the best pic)
Sorry I typed incorrectly.
Should be
8H2959802D
8H2959801D

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link to the wiring info. I bought some folding mirrors on the cheap last year, but never got round to fitting them or finding the right door modules!

When I took the mirrors apart there was an additional plug behind the glass (not the heated wires) I assume these are the wires for the auto dimming?

Get them fitted, they brilliant this time of year when its always seems to be dark.
The plug will be a flat rectangle shape with two wires coming from it. The heated mirror connectors only have one wire per connector.
The glass is also the same as the A3. Theres two versions of mirror glass. The earlier model has a black plastic surround, where as the later models didnt have this surround.

Sweet cheers for the heads up. Yea its a flat rectangle connector on both mirrors. Guess I best get on the hunt for an interior dimming mirror now!

Hi..
Although I’m running a B6 it should be the same..

I just need to get something straight...

I already have the dimming rear view mirror.
So all I need to do is run a wire each side to each door module, and then a wire to the side mirrors?
I know I need the dimming side mirrors also, and then perhaps also new door module..

But is that it??

I’m finding the link posted to be a bit
confusing...

Mine came with folding and auto dim, I assumed it was standard

Mine came with folding and auto dim, I assumed it was standard

Lucky..
Must be a top of the line car then? S4? 3.0? RS4 ??

The lower line cars don’t have that feature, especially not in the B6 models..

Don’t even think the B9’s has it as standard

Lucky..
Must be a top of the line car then? S4? 3.0? RS4 ??

The lower line cars don’t have that feature, especially not in the B6 models..

Don’t even think the B9’s has it as standard

It’s a 3.0TDI cabriolet sline

Came with auto dim folding
Bose and Nav
Cruise
Memory heated leather
Carbon
Auto and paddles

Not sure what is and isn’t standard from the list

Door modules that will work with powerfold and anti dazzle??
Mine are B’s.. They don’t
Know that E will work with power fold.
Or is the anti dazzle just wiring? From RVM to side mirrors through module??
On the German ebay, I can find A’s H’s and G’s,...
Any one with known suffix letters that’ll work?
Also found that some without suffix letter has power fold

Not sure on all the other prefixes, but etka only lists the E versions now as a replacement for all the other letters. I got both sides off eBay under £60 and now have folding mirrors. Not got an auto dimming interior mirror yet, so don’t have that wired in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure on all the other prefixes, but etka only lists the E versions now as a replacement for all the other letters. I got both sides off eBay under £60 and now have folding mirrors. Not got an auto dimming interior mirror yet, so don’t have that wired in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just funny that when looking at an E version, it’s manufactured in 2002..
Would think that latest version also would be newest

I will take the chance and buy the 8E1959801E and 802E
Hoping both power fold and anti dazzle will work

Read this post again from the start. Guess it’s a good buy, these E modules. They will auto dim when wires are fitted.

But will they fold then?? With correct mirrors and button?

Anyone got the part number for the power fold button??

Power fold switch should be- 8E0959565A
I have one if you want for a few pounds? PM me? or Ebay has some.
You also need the little optic panel that has the little fold mirror picture at the 6 o'clock position. That's quite hard to find. I bought a full door card in the end that had all the bits on and took off what I needed.

I can confirm the E modules will fold with the correct button. Plug and play no coding needed on the ones I put in.

I can find switches with 3 optic panels at top.. guess that’s what I got.
I can also find switch with additional 1 at 6 o’clock as you mention..
But also with 3 additional at the bottom..

Guess I should go with the one only with the one at 6 o’clock..

What about the wires from switch to module?

No wires are needed from the switch to the module. Literally all plug and play

Nice..
Now I only need to buy the housings and the dimmable mirrors.

Since they are aluminium I guess some pitting in the surface is unavoidable, unless I buy new, which I won’t

I just swapped over my existing housing's onto the folding bases. Not bothered with dimming just yet

I thought all S4 mirrors were electric folding..
Are they not?
Found some in Germany and he says they don’t fold electrically

I know this thread is about auto dimming...

No not all. They came with electric/heated as standard but folding was optional. My S4 Cab were non-folding originally. Last year some idiot snapped my mirrors off and stole them. I took this opportunity to get the folding versions fitted. S4s have the correct motor modules already in the door card to accommodate folding so no need to upgrade those. Just needed the new switch, optic, trim and mirror folding bases. Another member on here who had folding mirrors gave me his reg number for the garage to order the parts against.

Picture from a German seller..

Not from a S4 but a 3.0 (high spec) car.
Are these mirrors dimmable? They have that rubber edge
e477870bb0a2c7580b14ca873d8cd8e4.jpg

Could be, if I’m lucky that they are power folding AND auto dim..
Then I’ll just forget about the aluminium housing..

Just received one of the door modules.. I think I ordered the wrong ones??
39e9d9372db9db2e86979b9519e6c939.jpg

027e1ccc540e2098797e53598d1e3bb9.jpg

Isn’t something missing in the top slot??

When looking up the part number it says rear door??!

I don't think they will work. I'm pretty sure you need the ones with the extra pin connector block which yours has a blank space for.

I don't think they will work. I'm pretty sure you need the ones with the extra pin connector block which yours has a blank space for.

The one I got is for rear door hence the blank space and why it’s called 8E0(works both LHD and RHD)

I asked if two modules each side will work together if both can do power fold and dim the mirrors?
Can’t find another E model, so I’ve found a MAX module, with no suffix letter. Will it work with the E module?

I guess I’ll give it a try, or else my project will come to an end..

All ready ordered a pair of mirrors the do both..

I see what you mean, I'm not sure but worth a shot i suppose. Let us know how you get on!