Auto dimming rear view mirrors

Ashy>>

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

My rear view mirror was knackered with the liquid bleed.

Just letting you all know that the S4 cabriolet one is a direct replacement if anyone has a dodgy mirror and struggling to find a replacement.

Mine arrived yesterday, 2 minutes to remove old one and fit new one.

Happy days, can finally see behind me

Reactions: s3mad_dude, mephisto, Asim1 and 1 other person
You may want to be a little more specific on the part dude as the later cars had a different version with a rain sensor

A part number would be useful or chassis designation/model year(s)

<tuffty/>

Interesting... I think that one has the rain sensor iirc...

Just plug and play wiring wise? does the mirror have a part number on it?

<tuffty/>

Interesting... I think that one has the rain sensor iirc...

Just plug and play wiring wise? does the mirror have a part number on it?

<tuffty/>

Yes mate, just plug straight in.

I'll try to find a part number

Reactions: <tuffty/>
I used a USA spec one from a b6 s4 with compass, it has that light sensor I plan on using with an auto light switch

I used a USA spec one from a b6 s4 with compass, it has that light sensor I plan on using with an auto light switch

How does the compass work? Is anything else needed to be wired in or is it plug and play

because i always go againsts the grain i fitted one from a Hyundai Tucson in my 8l a few years ago, bottom line is gentex makes about 90% of the auto dip mirrors for manufacturers and only the mounts are different

auto-dip-jpg.108033

Anyone got the wiring diagram handy for this? I did have it at one time but seems to have gone astray...

There are 4 wires from memory... I was just planing to wire it for power rather than sort out the reverse switching etc...

<tuffty/>

So rolled the dice on a mirror off eBay for a Tucson... it was £20 delivered so seemed worth a punt

Screenshot 2020 09 16 at 134553

Screenshot 2020 09 16 at 134630

Will pop out to the car later to check fitment on the mount... need to find a wiring diagram too unless @Dohcwp has one kicking about

<tuffty/>

im not exactly 100% sure but i think i only used the white wire and the black one, it was 4 years ago and i never documented it as i thought i would be the only person that would go and fit a hyundai mirror in an Audi.

i only did as it was cheap it was extremely close to the shape of the audi mirror, and audi parts are 10x more expensive here in SA.

out of the 5 wires one should be for a reverse signal, and 1 for auto headlights as the tucsons came with auto headlights. (none of the colours or pinouts matched for any of the gentex fitment diagrams that i found) but black and white does power up the compass and the auto dip does work

20161003 2223401

This is how i mounted it, i used pratley 123 quickset (it is recommended for interior mirrors) and it works, its been mounted for 4 years now, i cant find my wire cover, but you will have to trim that with a dremel for a neat fit, once the mirror is fitted you can hardly see the original audi mirror mount on the windshield.

IMG 20200916 2122461

On first look it seems the mounts ball end is larger on the new mirror vs the original auto dipping audi one... not sure if the newer ones like Ashy fitted are larger... I assume they are...

Thanks for the diagram... I'll get it running on the bench then remove my current mirror and see what I can engineer... disc cutter and a welder may play a part in this lol

<tuffty/>

So it runs on the bench fine thankfully... goes dark and everything..

First hurdle...
Screenshot 2020 09 19 at 182743

Hyundai on the left, Audi on the right...

I have a plan... its been mostly executed :)

Pics to follow... (will add to my build thread too)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Dohcwp
closest to the tucson wiring

View attachment 209429
Hey dude... how did you end up wiring yours? if I apply 12v to either the green or white wires the mirror just goes dark pretty much immediately... its also now gone milky which is a little disconcerting :/

<tuffty/>

Hey dude... how did you end up wiring yours? if I apply 12v to either the green or white wires the mirror just goes dark pretty much immediately... its also now gone milky which is a little disconcerting :/

<tuffty/>

I wired in an A4 auto dimming compass rear view a while back, a whole lotta googling for a pinout with different information and then testing it myself i managed to figure out all the pins and get it all working.

Pin 1 Switch live
Pin 2 Ground
Pin 3 Right/Left mirror auto dimming
Pin 4 Reverse turn off
Pin 5 Left/Right mirror auto dimming
Pin 6 Interior light turn off

If the panels gone milky then i believe its failed and not recoverable without a panel change :disappointed:

Reactions: s3mad_dude and <tuffty/>
Yeah I guess leaning on the back of the mirror pretty hard to get the ball back in nuked it :/

Ah well... will pull it apart for shizz and giggs... and look for a replacement :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: ToughlilT
Yeah I guess leaning on the back of the mirror pretty hard to get the ball back in nuked it :/

Ah well... will pull it apart for shizz and giggs... and look for a replacement :)

<tuffty/>

Just went out to look at mine and as expected it says gentex on it, i reckon pull it apart and see if there are any gentex P/Ns on the panel. Must be plenty of spares out there if they are on everything

177907535 444617446640311 3926012680160616487 n

@Tuffty , i only used two wires black to ground and white to ignition, white powers both the auto dip feature and compass, having fibre issues so ive been offline alot lately.

mirror works fine with only those 2 wires

Light

The moment i shine a light on the sensor it immediately goes into dipped mode

Dark

Reactions: <tuffty/>
New mirror arrived... soooo

...seeing as the old mirror was essentially scrap I decided to have at it with tools to see how it came apart... the plan was to work out if I could take the mirror apart to make it safer and easier to swap the modded mount over as I am pretty sure the force I had to use to get the ball to engage caused the demise of the mirror glass
Screenshot 2021 05 03 114129

The surround is pretty tight on there and not a lot of give in the plastic so took it easy to work around the surround to release the catches
Screenshot 2021 05 03 114156

Inside there are a lot of electronics for what is essentially a rear view mirror lol
Screenshot 2021 05 03 114223

I had a look at the mount clamp to see what was needed to do to swap the mount over...
Screenshot 2021 05 03 114250

The metal spring clamp took quite a bit of effort to move and I didn't have anything suitable that I felt comfortable enough to remove and refit it sooooo...
Screenshot 2021 05 03 114314

I just split the new mirror and transferred all the internals to the old casing as I hadn't damaged it on removal thankfully :)

I have now fitted the mirror to the car and just need to wire it up which will happen when the 2 pin plug I ordered for it arrives

Only thing I will say about it so far is... the blacked out area where the compass displays... when off its very disconcerting to see in the mirror at first glance until your brain realises its supposed to be there lol... just need to get used to it after 36yrs of driving with just a normal rearview mirror :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: the_ace1982