1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Auto dimming rear view mirrors

Ashy>> Sep 10, 2020

1. Ashy>>

Ashy>> Registered User

Hi everyone.

My rear view mirror was knackered with the liquid bleed.

Just letting you all know that the S4 cabriolet one is a direct replacement if anyone has a dodgy mirror and struggling to find a replacement.

Mine arrived yesterday, 2 minutes to remove old one and fit new one.

Happy days, can finally see behind me

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator

You may want to be a little more specific on the part dude as the later cars had a different version with a rain sensor

A part number would be useful or chassis designation/model year(s)

<tuffty/>

4. Ashy>>

Ashy>> Registered User

<tuffty/> likes this.
  5. <tuffty/>

Interesting... I think that one has the rain sensor iirc...

Just plug and play wiring wise? does the mirror have a part number on it?

<tuffty/>

6. Ashy>>

Ashy>> Registered User

Yes mate, just plug straight in.

I'll try to find a part number

<tuffty/> likes this.
  7. syncro

syncro Registered User

I used a USA spec one from a b6 s4 with compass, it has that light sensor I plan on using with an auto light switch

8. S3JGX

S3JGX Registered User

How does the compass work? Is anything else needed to be wired in or is it plug and play

9. Dohcwp

Dohcwp Setting the Standard

because i always go againsts the grain i fitted one from a Hyundai Tucson in my 8l a few years ago, bottom line is gentex makes about 90% of the auto dip mirrors for manufacturers and only the mounts are different

[​IMG]

10. <tuffty/>

Anyone got the wiring diagram handy for this? I did have it at one time but seems to have gone astray...

There are 4 wires from memory... I was just planing to wire it for power rather than sort out the reverse switching etc...

<tuffty/>

11. <tuffty/>

So rolled the dice on a mirror off eBay for a Tucson... it was £20 delivered so seemed worth a punt

Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 13.45.53.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 13.46.30.png

Will pop out to the car later to check fitment on the mount... need to find a wiring diagram too unless @Dohcwp has one kicking about

<tuffty/>

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Dohcwp

im not exactly 100% sure but i think i only used the white wire and the black one, it was 4 years ago and i never documented it as i thought i would be the only person that would go and fit a hyundai mirror in an Audi.

i only did as it was cheap it was extremely close to the shape of the audi mirror, and audi parts are 10x more expensive here in SA.

out of the 5 wires one should be for a reverse signal, and 1 for auto headlights as the tucsons came with auto headlights. (none of the colours or pinouts matched for any of the gentex fitment diagrams that i found) but black and white does power up the compass and the auto dip does work

20161003_222340[1].jpg

This is how i mounted it, i used pratley 123 quickset (it is recommended for interior mirrors) and it works, its been mounted for 4 years now, i cant find my wire cover, but you will have to trim that with a dremel for a neat fit, once the mirror is fitted you can hardly see the original audi mirror mount on the windshield.

IMG_20200916_212246[1].jpg

14. Dohcwp

closest to the tucson wiring

2012-07-10 18.59.08.jpg

<tuffty/> likes this.
  15. <tuffty/>

On first look it seems the mounts ball end is larger on the new mirror vs the original auto dipping audi one... not sure if the newer ones like Ashy fitted are larger... I assume they are...

Thanks for the diagram... I'll get it running on the bench then remove my current mirror and see what I can engineer... disc cutter and a welder may play a part in this lol

<tuffty/>