Auto-dimming rear-view mirror retrofit?

oli356

Reaction score
The one thing that I miss on my S3 that my A3 had is the auto-dimming rear view mirror... I was never really sure how much it did and therefore can't say I noticed the S3 didn't have it when buying it....

While the new mirror is slimmer and looks better, I miss the auto-dimming feature and don't like having to flip this one into "night mode".

Can these be retrofitted? 2016 PFL

The one thing that I miss on my S3 that my A3 had is the auto-dimming rear view mirror... I was never really sure how much it did and therefore can't say I noticed the S3 didn't have it when buying it....

While the new mirror is slimmer and looks better, I miss the auto-dimming feature and don't like having to flip this one into "night mode".

Can these be retrofitted? 2016 PFL
Possibly can be retrofitted. Try site sponsors @Ash187 @DJAlix @NHN if it can be done anyone of these guys will know

Reactions: oli356
Alix where in London are you? Didn’t know you were local to me.

I’m based in West London, and yes also can fit and have done a few.

Reactions: Sandra and oli356
It would be amazing if you could post a parts list and a rough guide.

Reactions: kanteo28
Is there a retrofit guide to auto dimming mirror

Is there a retrofit guide to auto dimming mirror
I'm not sure if there's a guide, but it's an easy retrofit. I did it on my A3. All you need is the mirror and cable loom and it doesn't require any coding or special tools. I think the most difficult task is to route the loom through the A-pilar trim and make the electrical connections. Do you have any experience with retrofits?

I do, did my mk6 golf mirror, satnav, folding mirrors and reversing camera.

I do, did my mk6 golf mirror, satnav, folding mirrors and reversing camera.
Cool. I think this will be no problem for you. The auto-dimming mirror and factory non-dimming mirror must have the same mount on the windscreen surface (actually I've never seen a 8V with a different mount but the first time I asked a dealership if they could install an auto-dimming mirror in my A3 they said it was impossible, "you'll have to replace the windscreen", but it wasn't true of course).

You can buy the cable loom from Kufatec or other suppliers. I regret getting mine from a Chinese seller because when it was delivered I realized it had only two wires, when the genuine loom has 4 or 6, so I had to modify it in order to make it work with all functions. So, it's always a good idea to check if the loom is complete before buying. With 2 wires you can have a dimming mirror that works, but with 4 wires you can disable dimming when the car is in reverse and when dome lights are on. With 6 wires you can control exterior dimming mirrors if you plan to retrofit them in the future. It seems that the loom for Golf 7 is the same, but I'm not sure about connections or wire lenghts, maybe it's worth a check.
You may also make your own custom loom if you can't or won't to buy one. You will need a 8K0971833 type connector, with MCON 1.2 mm female terminals (corresponding VAG repair cable = 000979034E) that may be supplied with the connector housing. Of course, you'll need a crimping tool. Connector pinouts are:

1 - +VCC
2 - GND
3 - signal from reverse light (connect to wire on pin 11 of connector T73C on body control module J519)
4 - dimming signal to exterior mirrors (pin 2 on T27a door disconnector)
5 - dimming signal do exterior mirrors (pin 3 on T27a door disconnector)
6 - signal from roof light (pin 3 of 6 pin connector in the roof module)

The terminal to be added to the roof module 6 pin connetor is a MQS 0.63 mm female (corresponding repair cable = 000979009E). If you plan to install exterior dimming mirrors, the connector type is MCON 1.2 mm male (repair cable = 000979035E).

Pin 2 on the mirror connector is connected to ground. I've connected it to a GND in the roof module but your cable loom may be different. The +VCC is powered only when ignition is on (otherwise your mirror will stay on permanently with a green light and red button on). I've connected it to the original VCC point as defined in the fuse box list.
Hope this helps. Pleask ask in case I forgot something.

Reactions: Bush_man
Many thanks, soon as I get time I’ll give it a whirl and let you know the outcome.

Reactions: Rcord
Has there been a guide and parts list done for this yet. This is one mod I would definitely have a go at. Miss auto dimming mirror so much.

I have the mirror but really don’t want to disturb the interior panels. Has anyone fitted it by piggybacking the roof light?

Can’t power it off the roof light, needs to come from the fuse board and be turned on/off via the ignition, there is a retrofit guide out there somewheee, it’s an easy mod to do, you can buy the power lead from kufatek, think this comes with the guide, basically it just needs power and earth to work!

Thanks very much everyone for the info. One last question.

I looked on the Kufatec website, the loom is reasonably proced at £27, but they have a choice of two mirrors for my car a standard rimmed auto dimming mirror or the new rimless one from the 2017 model A3.

My question is. I have a 2016 “66” plate A3 saloon will the rimless one be a staright swap as it lools so much better than the standard one?

Probably the same wiring

Sorry for asking this all again. I have a 2016 S3 with a manual mirror and am looking to retrofit the dimming one.

Is all I need is the mirror, the wiring loom and the power cable?

Will the frameless model fit the pfl?

And is there any coding required?

No coding required unless the mirror has the high beam assist camera in it . So yes mirror and loom required. I made one bought the plug and repair wires . Just used
Live ground and interior light pins

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alin Marin
No coding required unless the mirror has the high beam assist camera in it . So yes mirror and loom required. I made one bought the plug and repair wires . Just used

Thats excellent. Its pretty much a plug and play job then with a bit of wiring.

I don't suppose you know anywhere that supplies the frameless one that would fit my car do you?

Yes thats the one all the information for making the loom is on here .you can get the repair wires to make from ebay

Yes thats the one all the information for making the loom is on here .you can get the repair wires to make from ebay

I was thinking of getting this. Would that be the correct 2 pieces I need?

Yes mate on that loom it also has the reverse feed

so that it only darkens, it is only necessary positive and negative ?? can you test the rear view mirror outside the car with a power supply?

Hi
I am looking to retrofit a frameless mirror myself. But my car has High Beam Assist (also retrofited).
Will a frameless rear view mirror with high beam assist work on PFL A3? Will HBA work with the new mirror?
Thank you

Yes . I have one fir sale on ebay . I've just removed to sell my a3

Yes . I have one fir sale on ebay . I've just removed to sell my a3

Hi. Can you tell me please the number from that camera inside your mirror?
Mine broke a few months ago and I need to buy one. I saw that you can buy only the camera needed. From the facelifted one please.
Thank you very much

The camera is part of the mirror and can't be bought separately

The camera is part of the mirror and can't be bought separately

IMG 20210702 042457

Yes, it can

If you remove a camera from a mirror it will need de pinning to pull through housing . I cant find any parts database where the camera is listed seperate .
I have 2 mirrors with hba. The cameras are the same