Auto-dimming mirror glass retro-fit

s3mad_dude

Noggies ruuuule!
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have heated/folding door mirrors on my car. If I bought the auto-dimming glass, is it simply a case of removing mine, plug and play in the new glass? Or is coding and/or different modules required? I have the auto-dimming frameless rear-view mirror already factory fitted.
Thanks

There's a thread on here about the retrofit somewhere. I'm in the process of doing mine .
You need to run the 2 wires from each wing mirror to the interior mirror. The wires may be there but will probably only run door side . Pop you mirror off and have a look . It's normally in a clip on the back of the mirror housing frame . How old is the car ? The only way the wiring would be there is if the previous owners have replaced the mirrors after damage and not wanted to pay £££££££ for the dimming glass..you could always check the 8 pin plug on the interior mirror . The wing mirror pins will be nos 4 and 5

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: s3mad_dude
Thanks for the advice. My car is a Nov 2016 FL 310 version (2017MY according to Audi). I’ll check my plugs but as far as I’m aware the mirrors are standard. The MyAudi app doesn’t show dimming mirrors as an option, just heated/folded.

The plug behind the mirror looks like this
14c018ad5c81c61ae9b7ef026916aa30.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks for your help, yes I was lucky and had the orange dimming wire already, but only for the driver’s side. I have the frameless auto-dimming rear view mirror and was lucky that it had the pinout for the extra wiring to the passenger side, as it’s the rear view mirror which commands the dimming of the side mirrors.

Anyway, I’ve got some spare electric folding mirrors for sale in the classifieds now if anyone is interested! :)
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...ectric-power-fold-heated-wing-mirrors.423647/

I might be interested in your mirrors, have you got some info?
Thanks in advance....

Just completed this retrofit on mine. Drivers mirror already had the harness for the glass but the passenger side did not. Fitted the glasses and a loom to the passenger side mirror. Also had to run wires from the interior mirror to the connectors that meets the drivers and passenger door.

It’s the best retro fit ever. I’m loving mine! I can’t stop looking at them! :wub: I couldn’t believe Audi only installed one dimming mirror on the driver side. Since my mk1 S3, I’ve noticed a lot of other cost cutting too. A sign of the times these days though...

It’s the best retro fit ever. I’m loving mine! I can’t stop looking at them! :wub: I couldn’t believe Audi only installed one dimming mirror on the driver side. Since my mk1 S3, I’ve noticed a lot of other cost cutting too. A sign of the times these days though...

Where did you get your drivers side mirror from or did you already have auto dimming glass on the drivers side? I've been trying to find the auto dimming glass without going to the dealers (£££) but they're like rocking horse poo on ebay and european ones will be no good as the glass is different

Just completed this retrofit on mine. Drivers mirror already had the harness for the glass but the passenger side did not. Fitted the glasses and a loom to the passenger side mirror. Also had to run wires from the interior mirror to the connectors that meets the drivers and passenger door.
Was the wiring to the interior mirror already there from the drivers side? I know I have the connector on my drivers side but unsure if it goes back to the interior mirror

Where did you get your drivers side mirror from or did you already have auto dimming glass on the drivers side? I've been trying to find the auto dimming glass without going to the dealers (£££) but they're like rocking horse poo on ebay and european ones will be no good as the glass is different

I found both of mine on eBay from breakers yards as the Audi prices are insane. Almost £400 with VAT and that’s one side only! I would just scroll through all the wing mirror adverts as many people don’t seem to list them as auto-dimming. Then I set up a ebay search so that any new mirror listings would be highlighted. One day a listing showed that didn’t mention auto-dimming mirrors but it had the entire housing for sale with the glass inside. You can tell if the glass is auto-dimming by a line around the edge of the mirror. They’re quite hard to find but not impossible. If you find a late model vehicle being broken with folding mirrors, chances are it might just have auto-dimmers as well, so look at the glass.

You’re quite right though to avoid glass from the USA or the continent. There are three types, aspherical (with the line) for our UK drivers side. Then there is convex which is for our UK passenger side, and thirdly there is flat, but that wasn’t sold in our market.

Was the wiring to the interior mirror already there from the drivers side? I know I have the connector on my drivers side but unsure if it goes back to the interior mirror

Yes it was already there (see photo earlier in thread. It’s that cable with the orange connector. The passenger side didn’t have it through so had to manually run a wire. More importantly though you need to check you have the auto-dimming rear view mirror installed in your car that has the extra pin outs to support auto-dimming wing mirrors. If not, you’ll need to upgrade that too. For reference my car had the frameless auto-dimming rear view type and that version had the extra pins.

Last edited:
Reactions: alpesh26
Cheers, I have a facelift with folding mirrors (I know the orange connector is there but not sure if it goes back to the interior mirror or just to the door module) but no auto dimming glass and i have the frameless mirror but i'll have to check the connections in there