Auto dim to manual rearview mirror swap

Rog_B

Reaction score
Yes I know, everyone loves auto dim... except me.
I have seen manual interior mirrors for sale. Does anyone know if it is a straightforward swap? I don't have high beam assist according to my option codes.Thanks

Should be, remove the trim around the mirror, unplug the connector from the top of the mount, remove mirror and replace with a manual one.
Search for fitting auto dip interior mirror and it’ll show how to remove the trims and mirrors.

Reactions: Rog_B
Many thanks and hoping you're having a peaceful Christmas!
I was wondering about the connector being unplugged throwing up a fault?
The back of my mirror has a little window, I thought might be an ambient light sensor. This isn't on the manual ones I've seen.

I don’t think it’ll throw a fault as it’s wired to the fuse box, I think the sensor is used to monitor ambient light. I’ve removed my manual mirror and fitted an auto one, not got around to wiring it yet, it’s been months since I switched them but don’t use it much at night so haven’t felt the need, it just looks so much more modern.
Removing the manual mirror for the screen was the worst part, it needed a lot of force to rotate it off the screen mount, but once off the new one fitted a lot easier.

Yes I tested it with a torch, it's an rear ambient light sensor so the dim function is off above a certain level.
I'll have to double check the mounting so I order the right fitting.
Thanks for all the help.

I don’t think it’ll throw a fault as it’s wired to the fuse box, I think the sensor is used to monitor ambient light. I’ve removed my manual mirror and fitted an auto one, not got around to wiring it yet, it’s been months since I switched them but don’t use it much at night so haven’t felt the need, it just looks so much more modern.
Removing the manual mirror for the screen was the worst part, it needed a lot of force to rotate it off the screen mount, but once off the new one fitted a lot easier.
Any chance you could please tell me the part number of the your manual mirror?

Yes of course but I won’t be home until late on the 28th and I’ll take a couple of pics for you too
Mines a ‘66 plate facelift.

Sorry for the delay, nightmare of a journey home yesterday and just remembered now. If you need any other specific pics just let me know.
Have a Happy New Year

Attachments

• 7E20094A-81FD-47B1-986F-FBD178BCEAFF.jpeg
    7E20094A-81FD-47B1-986F-FBD178BCEAFF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • 44705087-3B80-472E-8CE5-5E027AA38E92.jpeg
    44705087-3B80-472E-8CE5-5E027AA38E92.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • 0858AE40-822D-4305-8B11-5D2A72993212.jpeg
    0858AE40-822D-4305-8B11-5D2A72993212.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • 637ED6F8-F46A-4FD5-A9E6-E5D167FB0DFC.jpeg
    637ED6F8-F46A-4FD5-A9E6-E5D167FB0DFC.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
Sorry for the delay, nightmare of a journey home yesterday and just remembered now. If you need any other specific pics just let me know.
Have a Happy New Year
Thanks that's very kind. I found one on the Bay for under 20 quid. The numbers are very slightly different but the fitting looks exactly the same. If not it can be returned. I'll update when it arrives

Reactions: stubbly46
Have a Happy New Year
Sadly although the new mirror fits and works great, the actual construction is slightly different and I can't the rear trim piece on... grrr.
Even the one supplied with the mirror doesn't fit. I suspect it's an 8P mirror as it looks like my old one in my previous car. So it's going back...
Do you fancy selling me yours by any chance?
Cheers Rog

Hi Rog, as my mirror isn’t wired up and functioning at the moment I’d rather not sell it until I’m up and running.
Hope you understand

Hi Rog, as my mirror isn’t wired up and functioning at the moment I’d rather not sell it until I’m up and running.
Hope you understand
Sure completely understand. I'll find one with the same part number

After one mirror arrived and turned out to be another auto dim, I finally got the right one, same as pictured above by stubbly46 from SCB breakers and it is absolutely perfect! At last no more SUVs frying my eyeballs night and day
Getting the rear tints done next week so that will help too.

Reactions: stubbly46