Austin21: Intro and build

austin21

Reaction score
Evening all,

After lurking for a while I thought I should probably introduce myself and my avant.

I'm a design engineer near oxford, having decided my old Mk4 Golf tdi was getting a little long in the tooth (2003 reg with 220K on the clock with over 100K of that as a Hybrid TDI) I picked up a 2010 SE avant with the 3.0Tdi lump up front. It's a fairly basic car but in very good condition. The previous owners (2 off) kept it very well with full Audi service history (at Northampton Audi).

After modifying my old Golf for power and handling I'm was going to try and leave this one alone as much as possible. . . .

So here it is

Shiny shiny by greg austin, on Flickr

After a quick'ish clean

Clicky video.
20150523_111823 by greg austin, on Flickr

2015-05-24_11-15-31 by greg austin, on Flickr

unfortunately I started reading things on here and else where and found I could swap out the steering wheel for one with paddles hence found this one on fleabay for not very many pennies thankfully.

Flappy bits by greg austin, on Flickr

I've also had a little play with vagcom and switch on the needle sweep and a couple of other bits.

I'm not sure what else will happen to it as yet but I've a feeling that it might get expensive :-(

Reactions: Sandra and Bristle Hound
Evening, Greg, welcome to the forum; l hope you like it here. That's a nice car you have there.

Evening all,

After lurking for a while I thought I should probably introduce myself and my avant.

I'm a design engineer near oxford, having decided my old Mk4 Golf tdi was getting a little long in the tooth (2003 reg with 220K on the clock with over 100K of that as a Hybrid TDI) I picked up a 2010 SE avant with the 3.0Tdi lump up front. It's a fairly basic car but in very good condition. The previous owners (2 off) kept it very well with full Audi service history (at Northampton Audi).

After modifying my old Golf for power and handling I'm was going to try and leave this one alone as much as possible. . . .

So here it is

Shiny shiny by greg austin, on Flickr

After a quick'ish clean

Clicky video.
20150523_111823 by greg austin, on Flickr

2015-05-24_11-15-31 by greg austin, on Flickr

unfortunately I started reading things on here and else where and found I could swap out the steering wheel for one with paddles hence found this one on fleabay for not very many pennies thankfully.

Flappy bits by greg austin, on Flickr

I've also had a little play with vagcom and switch on the needle sweep and a couple of other bits.

I'm not sure what else will happen to it as yet but I've a feeling that it might get expensive :-(

Welcome to Audi-sport.net Greg! :)

Nice Avant you've got there buddy

Look foreword to more posts/pics/mods :)

Hi Greg, welcome to audi-sport.net. Very nice car. Hope you enjoy the B8 section and the forum. :) x

I wish my 3.0 was as clean, I just need a quiet day when I don't have any kids going "Daddy can I help you clean your car" whilst dragging the cleaning cloths all over the drive. Great car, you won't regret it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcomes, Toastyhamster I feel the pain re the cleaning support I think I'd probably go a little mad if that were to happen to mine.

So time for a minor update,

With an MOT needed at the end of the month, the front discs and pads were going to be needed.

So knowing I've got this thing about improving things were possible I managed to pic up a set of front and rear S5/S4 brakes for another bargain of £100 :), fitted the fronts today, kept the original calipers for the time being as the brake fluid I had has been open to long and want to put some fresh stuff in. Plus I only have the one S4 logo at the moment Audi Oxford have another on order for me.

Pic's

20150809_115103 by greg austin, on Flickr

The old pads were definatly shot

20150809_144621 by greg austin, on Flickr

I know the wheels aren't clean here but its hot and there's a beer in the fridge that desperately needed drinking

20150809_144637 by greg austin, on Flickr

So they Just fit behind the standard 17" rims, Had to move one of the wheel weights out of the way though.

Will sort the rears when I've got some new fluid.

I've also picked up a new Sline rear valance for the bargain price of £20 to fit at some point.

Having read a few posts about the ADS buttons being possible to retro fit I think they could be the next things I look at.
Cheers
Greg