Audrey The Dirty Derv Build

Finally fitted my 312mm brakes and did a service using bardhal engine flush, oil and turbo protect.
All supplied by our very own DrMole.
Thought I would give it ago, heard some good things bout the MPG gains.
We'll see what happens.

I'll get pics up of the brakes. They don't look any thing special yet, I need to paint callipers or get some brembos. Lol

read from post 1 to were you have it now, it looks real nice, same colour as mine, think it looks good once polised.

liking what youve done along the way.

were did you get your cup holder from. because as were in 2012 and not 1990 i dont need tape holders!

IMAG0512-1.jpg

read from post 1 to were you have it now, it looks real nice, same colour as mine, think it looks good once polised.

liking what youve done along the way.

were did you get your cup holder from. because as were in 2012 and not 1990 i dont need tape holders!

IMAG0512-1.jpg

Thanks. Still got more I want to do. Just need time and money.

I bought them from Audi.
I ran group but on them.
I might have one left. Drop me a pm and look when I get home.

New 312mm brakes fitted by Byzan. :cheers:
IMAG0617.jpg

They are a little bit bigger and you just make them out behind the lids.
I think I need bigger again, bigger callipers or just paint them red and see what happens.

Spent sunday with father fitting the roof bars and roof box.
Spent ages trying to get it in the middle, correct spacing and so on.

IMAG0614.jpg

That's it for now.

Reactions: Sandra
I wouldnt drive around with roof box on all the time, it kills your mpg big time.

I don't be keeping it on.
I lost about 1-3MPG on the way home with it on but it was empty, so I expect to lose more.
Its off and stored in the garden at the moment.
Begrudged taking it off cause it took me ages to get it in the middle.

Saw a thread about flyeye or what ever its called for lights and was thinking about it.
Chatting to a mate, he offered to attempt to make me some. couple of days later some samples turned up.

Here's some pics the samples fitted.

50%50
IMAG0665-1.jpg

50%50 with lights.
IMAG0666-1.jpg

All lights done
IMAG0668-1.jpg

With Lights
IMAG0675-1.jpg

Close up.
IMAG0674.jpg

I did try doing the rear but its to hard to wrap it around the curves.
Don't look to bad though. Looks awful when you get up close though.

IMAG0663-1.jpg

Just been out and its not really made any difference to the lights.
Changed the shade of the light but nothing massive. Nothing thats going to stop me from driving at night.

My random attempt at fly eyes failed.
did not let enough lights through.
So I'll give up with that.

Next........

New wipers!!

IMAG0710.jpg

I need to get new blades for it but apart from that I'm happy.
I might go for longer blades or for now just buy a repair kit from VW.

ok! nice one scotty but,

nice thumb!
you really have got freaky thumbs mate!

and secondly does the tax disc not do your nut in below the rear view like that? it would do mine in i am sure!

and thirdly, on topic this time, i think the fly eyes looked good! but if you cant see diddley on a night, then i would pull them off too!

love and hugs! x

Reactions: AndySTT
Nice one with the wipers mate. You giving up on the fly eyes!? Looking at the one you had the material used was too thick and dark. Maybe try a tint rather than a solid colour.... Food for thought mate

nice thumb!
you really have got freaky thumbs mate!

and secondly does the tax disc not do your nut in below the rear view like that? it would do mine in i am sure!

and thirdly, on topic this time, i think the fly eyes looked good! but if you cant see diddley on a night, then i would pull them off too!

love and hugs! x

Oooosh Thumb!!!

Tax disc is behind the mirror, you can't see it from the drivers seat. so much better than the bottom left corner.

The fly eyes went last weekend. I was unable to see where I was going on my return from Heathrow.

:friends:

Audrey is pooly.
She lost boost when in Le mans and snapped a belt at Cherbourg.
She's currently at a garage getting the belt looked at, turbo, wheel bearings and hopefully CV joints.

Reactions: Reesy
Not updated this for a while but there is not much happening.
She's working again.
Quick turbo clean with some oven cleaner.
All CV joints, boots and bearings appear to be ok.

I have started to play about with plasti dip a bit more and did my roof and grill.

93ade59a.jpg

99105890.jpg

6eb74270.jpg

0539f125.jpg

Little cup date.
I'm still trying to tidy my engine bay up a bit.

I was using a air box cover from a 1.8T (I think) but I thought it was to small.
cc1a530a.jpg

So I bought the passat air box cover.
4618480b.jpg

Thought it worked well with the passat ABS cover.
d0051dc1.jpg

Also replaced the PFL grill with a FL unit.

PFL and PF
db328f43.jpg

FL Grill
e3057f00.jpg

I recently bought a stupid cheap complete double din unit for my A4 B5.
It had one slight issue, the dash surround was broken.

363c870d.jpg

I knew this before I bought it and I can buy another one and still make a saving over any other complete unit.
While I wait for my old dash to sell, I thought I might as well bodge this one together and coat it in plasti dip.

The bodge. What I should of done is filled the wholes in but for some reason I never thought it until I started spraying.
02aefd7b.jpg

Dip time.
f805367b.jpg

ba40eeb2.jpg

2e58e21d.jpg

Mid dip
535e9e2c.jpg

ca35ee83.jpg

Also did the section around the hand brake.

aac2b3ce.jpg

Drying
43c71158.jpg

a190b141.jpg

You Can still see the bodge. I should have filled the holes, sanded and made it look a bit better really, even if its only going to be in the car for a 2-3 weeks but I got impatient and wanted to dip.
e1f45f4b.jpg

With about 4-6 coats it came out very well I thought and the dip kept the orignal pattern of the plastic.

e4a7ac93.jpg

07943665.jpg

Hopefully going to fit it all this weekend along with a new evaporator and double din stereo. If the fitting kit turns up.

Looks nice, but I'm disappointed you took shortcuts! Not like you to do so

I picked up 2 8mm spacers and 2 10mm spacers from Colin and Joe (Thanks Lads :thumbsup:) as a test fit to see what size would fit.

I finally got round to fitting them yesterday.

8mm on the front and 10mm on the back.
Here's some pics.

Before
IMAG0629-1_zps4cfda2da.jpg

IMAG0626_zpsf647ce3b.jpg

After
IMAG0643_zps1ddd3a8c.jpg

IMAG0636_zps8bff8a97.jpg

IMAG0635_zpsaeef639b.jpg

IMAG0633_zps8903b7fa.jpg

IMAG0637-1_zps714a357a.jpg

IMAG0632_zps90b06a11.jpg

god knows! there rs4 alloys, not sure if replica or not. im not going out there to look as its ******* down!

there multi hole rs4 alloys

also how are you finding the black roof?

god knows! there rs4 alloys, not sure if replica or not. im not going out there to look as its ******* down!

there multi hole rs4 alloys

also how are you finding the black roof?

Multi fitment would be reps.

The black roof is ok.
I don't really notice it any more but the plasti dip is holding up.

yer did think they were reps, will find et out at some point,
i might do my roof. i put a nice big scratch in the roof the other day, so might as well do it now!

The rear blind has been removed.
In my attempt to get it to fit better and sort out the lifter poles, I broke one of the hinges.
I had the option of buying a new blind, fitting it, rebuilding the boot cover or I could put it back to standard and buy a set of made to measure shades.........I went with the shades.

Should be picking up RNS-d this weekend, looking forward to playing about with some more gadgetry stuff.
The spacers will be changed around christmas time.
5mm at the front and 10mm at the rear, should do it.

That's it really. MOT next month and tax, then its just, hmmmm don't know really.
I might plasti dip my wheels before the gritters are released, that should help protect the wheels.

Lovin this thread the subtle mods are brilliant keep up the good work Scott

Ok, I'm a little bored and after a couple of people started saying about their miles between MOTs, I thought I would work mine out.

I took ownership in 2010
2004-2005 7932
2005-2006 7704
2006-2007 7086
2007-2008 5452
2008-2009 7737
2009-2010 1120
2010-2011 12384
2011-2012 15860​

Realised I've not updated this for very long time so here goes in some form order that I remember.

Several months ago I hit a pothole and it did this.
IMAG1318_zps6a6d14d7.jpg

Put the spare wheel on while I looked for a set of replacements.
My mates kid thought it was funny as well.
IMAG1326_zps9e339850.jpg

Big thanks to Superkarl for selling me his RS4 reps.
IMAG1360_zps4030c725.jpg

IMAG1362_zps6e69a5fd.jpg

Some of you might have read that I bought a RNS-d unit and a raspberry Pi with the intention of connecting it all up.
Well I did it and it works spot on.

First task was getting all this.....
IMAG0999_zpsc99b7e3c.jpg

Into this.

IMAG1000_zps7edb5337.jpg

Rough line up and it looks like this.
IMAG1001_zps3ed0b292.jpg

Sadly that never worked. After a bit more playing it looks like this.

IMAG1003_zpse4bdc138.jpg

With the pi and everything in, I need to sort out the wiring and try and do it without having loads of wires everywhere.

I bought a very short USB power lead.
2013-01-11163201_zpse789e19a.jpg

And I made my own AV lead to get the AV from the Pi to the RNS-d's TV unit.
IMG_20130109_193117_zpsb92ea06f.jpg

With that all in and working I bought myself a new double din dash section as the my original one was broken, I also swapped my A3 RNS-d unit with a B5 RNS-d unit which sadly got damaged in the post.

IMAG1270_zps9051073d.jpg

IMAG1595_zps74d7a41d.jpg

It annoys me when I see it but since I can't see all the time I'm driving I'll leave it for now.

I also got a Xcarlink with the RNS unit which let me plug in my iPod in to the RNS and control it via the RNS.
This works really well and i'm happy with it but you can't see what the song is and it makes it hard for your passenger to select a song.
I got thinking what I can do about this.

Since the iPod is a iPod video and I hated using the pop out cup holder I thought I'd do something else with the cup holder.
So I converted it into an iPod dock.

IMAG1367_zps36071af3.jpg

This solves a couple of issues.
The misses can change the tracks, look for songs that she wants and we are able to watch movies without having to hold the ipod up.
The ipod dock is fully wired up yet. I need to add another USB power source to the car first. That should not take long but I'm having issues locating a point to put it.

Current things I'm working on are......

Hid Conversion.
IMAG1316_1_zpsd63732c1.jpg

And this random awning thing I've toyed with.
IMAG0970_zpseaa4d2d8.jpg

Cool as f*** mate your making some good subtle mods love this thread

Reactions: ScottD3
I popped out yesterday and gave the leather a clean and condition. While I was there I thought i'd take a quick pic of the dash.
Its finished for now, I think.
Need to fix that corner and its perfect.

Got bits and bobs happening at the moment so thought i'd do a list and what stage they are at.

Auto dimming rear view mirror:
Sorted out the wiring and how I'm going to run it, currently waiting on a bit of trim to turn up but I might fit it on saturday anyway and organise my tax disc and camera setup.
Also contemplating fitting auto dimming side mirrors but at £300ish each for the glass, I doubt it will be any time soon.

Facelift clock conversion:
Still slowly plodding along. Need to order a new DIS screen to get that working, going to convert the needles to white, need to work out why the rev counter wont work and how to convert the clocks to display the automatic gearbox messages with selector screen at the bottom. I've ordered a new sump with sensor hole for the oil sensor. Hopefully that will also cure a oil leak and I'll be able to drive the car with the facelift clocks in.
I will need to add the door warning cables from each door, boot and bonnet. The canbus cables from the clocks to TMC will need to be installed so the DIS screen can display the Navi information. I think that's it for the clocks.

HID conversion:
Not even thought about this. Got a hid kit sat at home doing nothing. Since the long days and short nights are here, I'm in no rush to get it fitted. I'll aim to get it done just after my MOT I think. It will give me time to think about doing a headlight washer jet conversion as well as adding some level sensors to the suspension.

Rear electrics:
I also need to wire up a relay and a switch so I can turn the power to the rear sockets on and off independently. At the moment it has power when the car is running but I would like to have the option of it on all the time or off.

Last edited: