Audi's Take on Quattro, FWD and RWD....

Sulli

Reaction score
I got an email from Audi today - they're doing their annual big up quattro thing.

This article on their website, explaining the relative benefits of each system, was interesting:
quattro < Our technologies < Audi innovation < Audi UK

Is it just me or are they blatantly anti-RWD because their main rival is the only mainstream manufacturer to produce primarily RWD cars. Can't argue with how good quattro is, but come on, RWD is awesome in most situation outside of wet/snow, especially if you love driving. And I know what I would rather correct in terms of oversteer or understeer.

I think if they're going to put the eggs in a basket or 2, I would say it makes sense to put them in the 2 that their main rival don't really bother with.

but come on, RWD is awesome in most situation outside of wet/snow, especially if you love driving. And I know what I would rather correct in terms of oversteer or understeer.

I agree, but for Mr & Mrs Joe Public oversteer is dangerous and uncontrollable.

Agree with quattrojames on this, for 99% of the general public FWD has less issues and gets you into less problems, which is why 99% of main car manufacturers build FWD products.

I'm fortunate in that I come from a motorsport background and have worked for a major car manufacturer who sent me on a few high performance driving courses, RWD is epic in the right conditions and with the right driver at the wheel, unfortunately for most people it causes more problems than they can cope with.....

BMW are about to start offering the 5 series with 4WD across the range, which says volumes in my book......

Manufacturers build front wheel drive products for packaging and cost reasons in the main, not because they think 99% of Joe Public couldn't cope with anything else.

Most do however setup cars with an understeer bias, because as you say, it's generally safer on a road and in extremis.

It's quite possible to setup a front wheel drive car to be more lively at the back in corners, just as its possible to setup a four wheel drive car to understeer, like my B6!

As for Audi bigging up four wheel drive, why not? It's their unique selling point, as rear wheel drive is with BMW.