Audi's hard to work on?

Layerz

Reaction score
This is just a bit of a general thread but I have started to notice a few things with Audi's or perhaps more specifically the B5

They are a pain in the *** to work on!

I just wondered others peoples thought/opinions on them as a car to work on and I would like too point out this may be my inexperiance with cars as I only really started working on them with this car last year.
But before this I had a peugoet 306 and I know they have things go wrong more often, but the bits to work on were a piece of cake.
Thus far I have found most bits on the A4 taking a 2nd look every time and having a little difficaulty with the jobs, I have been able to get everyjob done......bar getting the front bumper off. I have just found them fiddly and tonight got a bit fed up with not being able to get to the sidelights!

As I have said I know alot of this is down to my inexperiance, and places like these forums help me no end, but I work on friends cars and I find parts just bolt on a piece of cake.

All that being said and done, I still love my car and find it punches well above its fighting weight and even with the odd niggles I love to find a good B road.

engine wise they are really easy as the whole front can be taken off the car in a few minutes, bumpers easy, front suspension is a pain in the ****, took me 5 hours to do a pair of coilovers compared with normally an hour on a mitsibushi evo. must admit if i did it again it wouldn't take me so long.

overall i like them, everything comes apart without too much fuss.

Lucky you!

If only I knew what to do in case of Cr@ps happening to my car....

I never took the bumper off nor anything else for that matter.

Oh, hang on, I took out the head light bulbs once.

This forum and a haynes manual will get you all the info you will need.
I find all Audis are straightforward to work on when you know what you have to do.
But this like I said use this forum and a haynes manual and you will seldom go wrong after you have done a job once you should be able to do it again in a lot less time like macca said coz you know what you are doing.

I find that the my audi is fine to work on once you know where stuff is. The interior is a pain so many clips and screws holding stuff together compaired to my old 205 gti. But its basically down to a better built car. I would rather it took ages to strip stuff off and replace knowing the car is better built. The pug i could have the full interior out minus the dash in less then 30 mins.

Anything you have to plug a computer into annoys me...

Pre 1980 is the way forwards.

No, pre '72 actually - no road tax, cheap insurance, most construction and use laws don't apply, you can fix anything for a score and... no ECUs!