Audible Rattle, White Smoke & Black Splatter from Exhaust

Dan_Avant

Reaction score
So today the cars developed an audible rattle, another oil leak and fired loads of black splatter across my driveway from the exhausts followed by a cloud of white smoke.

I can only hear the rattle when the bonnet is open. I can hear it louder when I put ear near the cone filter.

I believe the oil leak is towards the back of the engine as there’s a little pool on the driveway, on the drivers side of the car. Looks like there’s oil around the exhaust manifold and back of the block and gearbox. My initial thought on this is possibly vacuum pump.

Also, on start up I let it idle for a few minutes then revved it quite hard and a lot of white smoke and black splatter shot across the driveway. Smelt like something was burning but couldn’t tell if it was oil or fuel.

Anyone got any thoughts or had a similar issue?

Really starting to get fed up with the car now. It’s been problem after problem since I bought the thing.

Here’s a pic of what came out the exhausts:

4DB0EA49 A13C 4FC2 9506 0171AF248330

C4416002 BFD9 4FB2 9960 C63DE8BA900B

I do the occasional short journey but I take it for a good blast once a week.

There was a slight misfire on start up yesterday but no loss of power. Thing still pulls really hard.

Not sure on this one. Has me stumped

Could be valve stem seals. Hope it’s not the rings?

There would be loss of power if it were the rings though as I’d be loosing compression

Did you get to the bottom of this Dan?

No, it hasn’t happened again but I’m now getting a misfire on start up which disappears as soon as I rev it.

Doesn’t matter if it’s a cold or warm start.

There’s loads of possible causes, valve stem seals, piston rings, leaking injector etc

Can add another oil leak to this now.

Seems to be at the back of the engine, drivers side. I’m thinking vacuum pump as it seems to be running down the back of the block and on to the exhaust manifold