audi virtual cockpit

Daz4311

Reaction score
Anyone got any experience with this in another audi or had a good play around with this system...as I'm unsure if I should spec it on my new s3....I may have to borrow a car with this for the day maybe from audi to get a idea if I will deffo want this?

i had it for a week in a new fully loaded a4.

i personally found it awesome! twinned with head up display, i thoroughly enjoyed driving the A4. I said after that, i would spec it on my next car, i'd even change what models I'm looking at if it wasn't avail.

its very marmite though...

Reactions: Rob2k68
I'd have it in a blink as I like my tech ;o)

Curious how it's integrated with MMI screen tho and how to navigate without the 4 buttons in the centre console although be 100% but it looks like the steering wheel may have gained 2 buttons ??

Reactions: pburv
in the a4, it was all controlled on the steering wheel.

i opted to keep two small dials, data in the middle, head up showing my speed.
you can zoom in to all but street view and out so you're looking at earth from space, all by a scroll of a finger on the steering wheel.

you can have a big display with two small dials.
or
smaller display with two larger dials.

it was fun. the a4 was sh1t. but the cockpit made it better.

had a good play for over an hour to understand it.

if you like your gimmicks, get it!

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
In the TT its all controlled on the steering wheel.

Its Ok but I wouldnt pay a big premium for it.

Reactions: A3_Rider, S32B and Rob2k68
The main disadvantage of the virtual cockpit to me is that when we go on a long journey that requires the use of a Sat/Nav, my wife does the navigating. It would be rather difficult for her to see the virtual cockpit. We both much prefer our new TomTom 6100.

The main disadvantage of the virtual cockpit to me is that when we go on a long journey that requires the use of a Sat/Nav, my wife does the navigating. It would be rather difficult for her to see the virtual cockpit. We both much prefer our new TomTom 6100.

surely it can be spec'd without nav...

Or specify the car without the virtual cockpit so the centre display can still be used to navigate, no one is making you have it as it is a option. I had the virtual cockpit on a a4 for a day's road test...

I don't know. - what would be the advantage over normal dials?

you can move your dials.
display other information on the centre, i.e album art, radio info, anything that the MMI displays.
call details
and when you need fuel, it all shrinks and it displays a picture of your car next to a fuel pump...

and then when you made the mistake of not spec'in nav at order, you can get it installed at a later date.

but as i said in my first comment post #2.
its marmite

I will be having it anyway on what ever audi I purchase, either the fl a3 or the new q2...
Q2 ?

on paper i dislike it, i will have to see one in the flesh! i wasn't keen on the Q3, but since having one for a week, it changed my mind hughly!

So if we go for the virtual cockpit...then whats the centre pop up screen need for?

You do realise you can choose to display the sat nav on the centre screen?

Reactions: Daveotto
Had it on TTS loan I had for the weekend last year....in a word awesome, just loved the way the NAV worked visually and blended in visually with the instrument cluster.....will be a must have option on my next purchase

Reactions: pburv
You do realise you can choose to display the sat nav on the centre screen?
I test drove a similar car to my current one before I bought this one. It was fitted with the Audi Sat/Nav and didn't like it. I much prefer my then TomTom and I have just upgraded to a new 6100. It gives me most of what I want.

Routes setup on my desktop computer and transferred to the 6100 at the click of a button.
Lifetime Up to date traffic information with built-in SIM card without the need for an form of subscription.
Lifetime Free map updates
Lifetime Free camera updates - audio warning of cameras
Saved routes available at the touch of a button.
All data entry for search etc using a touch Qwerty keyboard.
Easily add my own POI's
Voice control if I want it.
Very easy to use.

Having not really liked the Audi Sat/Nav when I used it, I have never really looked in to the cost of the Audi system but I'm quite sure it would be more than the one-off payment of £245 for the 6100.

My own opinion is based on the A4 virtual cockpit/analogue dash...no. l still like the analogue on the A4....its more realistic....and far more easier to drive at night...looks classier....very sharp and exquistely lit,the virtual cockpit binnacle is still far too bright...even when dimmed....another gimmick to pay more for...has Audi Changed the analogue binnacle on the A3.....???

Reactions: WarwickL
My own opinion is based on the A4 virtual cockpit/analogue dash...no. l still like the analogue on the A4....its more realistic....and far more easier to drive at night...looks classier....very sharp and exquistely lit,the virtual cockpit binnacle is still far too bright...even when dimmed....another gimmick to pay more for...has Audi Changed the analogue binnacle on the A3.....???
Not Sure. The only pictures I've seen so far have all had the virtual version. Personally I much prefer the standard dash and don't see any need to pay for the virtual version. The current one tells me all I need to know.

Reactions: Sean Byrne, Jassyo06, S32B and 2 others
I was looking forward to seeing it on the TT the other week, but felt a bit disappointed TBH, it wasn't as 'cool' as I thought it would be...I certainly wouldn't pay a big premium for it, as I like the S3 dash as it is now, as long as the speedo is digital I'm happy enough :)

I was looking forward to seeing it on the TT the other week, but felt a bit disappointed TBH, it wasn't as 'cool' as I thought it would be...I certainly wouldn't pay a big premium for it, as I like the S3 dash as it is now, as long as the speedo is digital I'm happy enough :)
I'm gonna ask nigel if he can borrow me a car with virtual cockpit for a few hours so I can decide...reckon it's the only real way to decide buddy?

I'm gonna ask nigel if he can borrow me a car with virtual cockpit for a few hours so I can decide...reckon it's the only real way to decide buddy?
Yeah defo, I'm sure he'll oblige ;) Bet they are sick of us always going in there, wonder if everyone asks for another car why they have theirs serviced lol. Also check out the white A4 saloon they have in the showroom by the reception, I think it looks well nice.

If you have time nip over to Mazda on the other side of the roundabout, I went today but it was shut!!! I wanted to sit in this with the wife to see if she what she thought! I think it's a lovely car for the money.

IMG 3407

Got it on our TT.

I like it, it's pretty cool ... but it was free on the TT.

Price point would be a big thing for me if it was an optional extra, although what is the cost on an A4 as guess it will be similar to that. That said, on the A4 don't you have to spec the high tech pack in order to get the virtual cockpit ?

So if that applies to the 3 range then it could be a £grand for tech pack then another £600-£700 for the virtual dash perhaps.

Fine if you want the tech pack but if not it could be expensive if Audi force you that route to get the virtual dash.

But Audi are masters of the optional extras lol ££££££'s :)

Reactions: Rob2k68, Simon L and pburv
I had the tech pack on the old s3 so will still be going for it on the new s3..I had optioned the led headlights also on the old one...but now I believe it already has them...so will be going for the led matrix headlights

If you have time nip over to Mazda on the other side of the roundabout, I went today but it was shut!!! I wanted to sit in this with the wife to see if she what she thought! I think it's a lovely car for the money.

View attachment 87214

Don't buy it. Yes, you'll love it. Yes, it's much cheaper than anything Audi are knocking out, and yes, it's ****** brilliant, especially with a BBR tune... But if you do buy it, you'll want to kick yourself squarely in the balls in a few months time for not waiting for the folding roof RF version.

Image Image

Reactions: Rob2k68, gamegenie and veeeight
I had it in a hired A4, not all that imho just switches between being able to see dials or sat nav. The blind spot alert was a better bit of technology but you need massive wing mirrors for that ;)

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Got it on our TT.

I like it, it's pretty cool ... but it was free on the TT.

Price point would be a big thing for me if it was an optional extra, although what is the cost on an A4 as guess it will be similar to that. That said, on the A4 don't you have to spec the high tech pack in order to get the virtual cockpit ?

So if that applies to the 3 range then it could be a £grand for tech pack then another £600-£700 for the virtual dash perhaps.

Fine if you want the tech pack but if not it could be expensive if Audi force you that route to get the virtual dash.

But Audi are masters of the optional extras lol ££££££'s :)
The tech pack for the a4 is £1700 plus the virtual cockpit makes it over £2k for the lot, but then the a4 doesn't come with nav as standard at all...

The tech pack for the a4 is £1700 plus the virtual cockpit makes it over £2k for the lot, but then the a4 doesn't come with nav as standard at all...
The a4 sport and s line get a SD based sat nav as standard both with 3 months of Audi connect

I like the concept of the virtual dash, makes perfect sense with the full nav view right in your eye line just wish they could've kept the analogue dials rather than those crappy digital things!!

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Rob2k68
Any mention of HUD with the VC ?

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
I like the concept of the virtual dash, makes perfect sense with the full nav view right in your eye line just wish they could've kept the analogue dials rather than those crappy digital things!!
Man up ***......:whistle2:
It's about time you embrace the future...lol

Reactions: Simon L, Snake Pliskin and Rob2k68