Audi Virgin!

CCACUTLER

Reaction score
Just ordered an S4 for Sept delivery....first Audi....moving from a bmw 335d xdrive so looking forward to shedding a few pounds! Hope I don't miss the torque!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Reactions: cuke2u and Rob_F
Welcome!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the S4 and it'll put a smile on your face - great cars and a nicer cabin than the BMW IMO.

Reactions: CCACUTLER
You're only 30Nm down from the looks of things. I'm sure it won't feel slow, it feels as fast as my last A4 when accelerating and that had a big lump of torque too.

You won't regret it between the power and sound I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to the sound!..ordered without a test drive but interior on 3 series getting a bit dated! Will be a long 5 months!

Reactions: Daggerit
I'm sure that you'll enjoy it. I had a drive in a new 3 series a little while ago and although it was good, I still prefer the S4 interior by a decent amount. I think the fit and finish just suited me better, not that the beemer was shabby!

I'm sure that you'll enjoy it. I had a drive in a new 3 series a little while ago and although it was good, I still prefer the S4 interior by a decent amount. I think the fit and finish just suited me better, not that the beemer was shabby!

I love the seats in the s4...gone for magma red as got red in the bmw at the min. Don't really do the miles for a diesel so glad to be getting a petrol!!! Am I better off on premium eg tesco 99/she'll v power etc???

I've gone for magma too :wink:
What's your spec?

I've always used vpower. Never tried momentum but I think I'll be giving it a go in the S4.

There's lots of different views on petrol, I usually just make sure I use whatever octane the manufacturer advises with the occasional run through with V-Power. I don't see that there's a massive point in running higher octane in a stock engine as they're designed to run on the 95. Tuned might be a different story of course.

Spec is:
S4 saloon
Brilliant black
Magma red interior
Virtual cockpit
Extended interior light pack
Flat bottom steering wheel
Privacy glass

Bit of a poverty spec but there you go. How's the b&o sound system? The only thing I might add now I've ordered. Much difference over audi hifi??

There's lots of different views on petrol, I usually just make sure I use whatever octane the manufacturer advises with the occasional run through with V-Power. I don't see that there's a massive point in running higher octane in a stock engine as they're designed to run on the 95. Tuned might be a different story of course.

Only ever used standard diesel in the 335d.....similar price to tm99 so might see if I can tell any difference v standard 95 octane. Never saw 30 mpg in the oil burner so not holding my breath!

If you can see a difference I'd be very surprised. People claim to get better mpg on the higher octane in stock cars but really it should be the opposite. You'll have to see when you pick it up!

Although if it's the same as a bunch of folk on here, you're best to wait for a few thousand miles before doing any sort of mpg comparison as they seem to get better over a good number of miles...

B & O is a cracking system . I've prefered the bose if I'm honest in my last A6 but it's better than the standard especially in loud mode. You'll love the s4 on my second one ....enjoy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The B&O is undoubtedly brilliant - however the Audi Sound System standard on the S4 is actually very very good. It took a couple of thousand miles to break in and I no longer regret not having B&O. If you're really into you audio I'm sure you'll notice, but if you're happy with the likes of Sonos in your living room the *** will be fine.

This petrol thing is confusing I think ... does it actually say anywhere in the handbook or in the petrol flap that that you should use a 98 Ron (v power for example) it just states the minimum octane rating 95 Ron ( just unleaded)
So I get the minimum requirement..but there is no info on the optimum fuel that should be used !

Normally dude if you use the Tesco 99 or v power 99 your mpg will increase slightly and offset the more expensive price of the fuel. Plus it's healthier for your engine

Normally dude if you use the Tesco 99 or v power 99 your mpg will increase slightly and offset the more expensive price of the fuel. Plus it's healthier for your engine

I'm curious how it manages to do that as the higher octane actually gives less power per for a given volume. I know that the car can advance the ignition more as the higher octane resists knock better (if the ECU is configured to) but I can't see that having a noticeable effect on the mpg? Especially not enough to make up the 5-7p per litre difference in price?

I had a mk5 GTI and 8P S3 which both required 98 as a minimum. You could run both happily on 95, but it wouldn't make the same power. It was actually noticeable, both cars felt more responsive on 98. However if I had to put some 95 in then the indicated mpg would generally be a bit higher for a tank or so then would be about the same after than as with 98.

Bottom line is the car will make the stated performance with the minimum required octane rating. Whether you can improve over the stated performance numbers with a higher than required octane rating seems subjective, but in my experience the only gain is to the purveyor of the fuel and not the driver.

Reactions: Daggerit and CCACUTLER
Bottom line is the car will make the stated performance with the minimum required octane rating. Whether you can improve over the stated performance numbers with a higher than required octane rating seems subjective, but in my experience the only gain is to the purveyor of the fuel and not the driver.
This...

I'm curious how it manages to do that as the higher octane actually gives less power per for a given volume. I know that the car can advance the ignition more as the higher octane resists knock better (if the ECU is configured to) but I can't see that having a noticeable effect on the mpg? Especially not enough to make up the 5-7p per litre difference in price?
Maybe I should have said you should use less fuel.
As the higher octane stuff the car finds it easier to not run lean and has less knock so less fuel is injected.

But I guess also if the car is set up for 95 it may not make that much of a diff.

I'll still run mine on momentum 99 always had best results and the least det/pinking on it even less than on v power.
In my experience bp ultimate is terrible my cars in the past do not run well on that after being on Tesco 99

Reactions: V6_Man and Daggerit
Maybe I should have said you should use less fuel.
As the higher octane stuff the car finds it easier to not run lean and has less knock so less fuel is injected.

But I guess also if the car is set up for 95 it may not make that much of a diff.

I'll still run mine on momentum 99 always had best results and the least det/pinking on it even less than on v power.
In my experience bp ultimate is terrible my cars in the past do not run well on that after being on Tesco 99

I've never been a fan of Ultimate, always seemed really expensive compared to the others...

I used to run some tunes cars on Momentum as they required it due to increased boost, that's about it though.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Yea I had to take ultimate on the way to knockhill one day in my Subaru hillclimb car holy crap it ran like **** the knock sensor was going wild the afr meter was not happy either got rid of it filled back up with v power and after some miles it came back to normal.

Then I melted a piston chasing a tvr sagaris

Ouch... Not a cheap fix!

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
No engine out using a scarf pile and old seat belts ended up stripped as chassis leg had rotted away from a previous accident was a quality car too. My fault tho I forgot to turn boost back down from hillclimb on the apexi hand controller.

Literally just had this pop up in my YouTube...

Ha there ya go wish they had done Tesco 99.
Best bit is the Asda petrol and the bp 95 prob came out the same tank. They would have 100% in Scotland or north of England

Ha there ya go wish they had done Tesco 99.
Best bit is the Asda petrol and the bp 95 prob came out the same tank. They would have 100% in Scotland or north of England

Yeah exactly. Unless I tune the S4 I'll just be sticking to 95 fuel (probably Asda as there's one near me) apart from the occasional couple run throughs with V-Power for the cleaning additives. If they even actually clean anything... Haha.