Audi UTR

For £2o I won't be bothering with a warranty claim, I can waste more than that on coffee in a week!

However I don't see how using a card in a dash cam voids the warranty, I do less then 7k miles a year so the card gets very little use, so I guess I would argue the case if I could be bothered, which for £20 I don't think I'll be bothering. As I say My card has been in the camera for 10 months and still working fine if it lasts another 10 months then great if not I'll just stick another card in.

Did any of you that went for the UTR consider other options?

The BlackVue DR900S-2CH seems sleeker especially the rear camera.

Briefly but being risk averse when it comes to my car getting the company that warrant my car to carry out the fit without compromise to the car warranty was a big factor in my decision, especially as the general consensus which I can confirm is that the UTR kit is of decent quality and performance. It may not be the best system out there, especially for the all in price but it did come free of concern for me.

It was the same for me, I have a 5 year warranty on the car and did not want any issues with aftermarket components. The Audi camera's are well tested and have all of the correct markings which means it does not interfere with DAB signal unlike some other aftermarket system. I've also had no issues with battery drain and my car has been parked for several days without issue.

Reactions: NevMan
I haven't heard of any quality cams interfering with the dab on the A4 or the A3. Issues with certain windscreens but that's all...

We’ve had the Audi UTR fitted but have a couple of queries about it - hoping someone can give some advice please?

First thing is the fact that the date and times on the videos don’t seem to be accurate? I’m getting the time correct but a day ahead! Perhaps I’m a time traveller and didn’t know it?

Second thing is we’ve bought a 32GB SanDisk (High Endurance) as described above but having installed it we keep getting the nice lady telling us ‘Check SD Card’ a couple of times before the camera closes down?
We formatted it the first time, installed it and all seemed to be fine (WiFi connected etc) but then she asked us to ‘Check SD Card’ again. Tried formatting again (and again several times) but we don’t get connection at all and the nice lady (who is seriously irritating me now) says her line and we get shutdown. I’ve read elsewhere since that SanDisks aren’t the best SD cards to get so have we wasted our money or does anyone have any ideas please?
The original card is back in and working fine ..... apart from the date ...

Thanks in advance for any help.

We’ve had the Audi UTR fitted but have a couple of queries about it - hoping someone can give some advice please?

First thing is the fact that the date and times on the videos don’t seem to be accurate? I’m getting the time correct but a day ahead! Perhaps I’m a time traveller and didn’t know it?

Second thing is we’ve bought a 32GB SanDisk (High Endurance) as described above but having installed it we keep getting the nice lady telling us ‘Check SD Card’ a couple of times before the camera closes down?
We formatted it the first time, installed it and all seemed to be fine (WiFi connected etc) but then she asked us to ‘Check SD Card’ again. Tried formatting again (and again several times) but we don’t get connection at all and the nice lady (who is seriously irritating me now) says her line and we get shutdown. I’ve read elsewhere since that SanDisks aren’t the best SD cards to get so have we wasted our money or does anyone have any ideas please?

Hello @Soup,

I have the UTR and didn’t pay close attention to the date on the recordings. I’ll check my footage tomorrow and let you know if it is incorrect.

I bought a Samsung 32GB 95MB/s Memory Evo Plus Micro SD Card with Adapter ( Amazon product ) after another Audi UTR owner confirmed that it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Soup

If you are a time traveller can you find out the next lottery numbers for me?
The UTR uses its GPS for UTC time and date and synchronises with your phone to get the daylight saving. Might be worth confirming that the GPS box is ticked in the UTR phone app.
I have a 64Gb High Endurance Transcend. I have never formatted it. It was already formatted in ExFAT. It works perfectly. Assume that yours is formatted in ExFAT?
I'm sure you will have had the camera powered down when you removed and refitted the SD card. If you didn't, it's possible the card could have been corrupted. Not impossible that you have been unlucky enough to get a defective card though I would imagine that is very rare. Sounds like you may need to get a refund or exchange if the format type is correct. Perhaps try re-formatting the card in a computer if not already done. I believe you may also be able to reformat using the UTR via the phone app. Not sure which method you used. Power button on UTR needs to be pressed for a few seconds to power it down. It then anounces something like "system is shutting down" Only a brief press of the power button is needed to switch it back on.

Last edited:
Thanks Klaus - the date seems to have sorted itself out now so my time travelling ability has disappeared......

On the formatting side I followed the instructions in the manual so did all the shutting down procedures to remove / replace the card etc and have also done all that you’ve suggested in terms of formatting on the computer. I couldn’t do it through the UTR phone app as the WiFi wasn’t available due to the card error.

Interestingly I found a thread on another forum (not car related) that suggested formatting it using official ‘SD Card Formatting’ software to restore to factory format settings (apparently formatting through computer based Disk Services isn’t the same) so downloaded and tried again. That was more successful! I got WiFi, the nice lady told me that recording was starting and I was able to sort a few settings however it was short lived as when I attempted to format through the phone app (thought that might sort the problem once and for all) she went back to her ‘Check SD Card’ message and closed down.

I’ve now taken it out (can do that with my eyes shut), reformatted it with the downloaded software and will try again this morning but without messing with the built in format and see what happens.

I’m beginning (finally) to think this particular SD Card isn’t compatible ...... but will report back on here ...... if only to warn other AudiUTR buyers looking to ‘upgrade’ memory.

Hi all I'm new to this group as I await the delivery of my first Audi on the 1st of September. I am thinking of getting the front and rear dash cams fitted, and I am interested that Audi Milton Keynes discounted the fitting as that's where I am getting my car from.

But I am unsure to fit the Audi ones or the new Blackvue ones, as will fitting non Audi ones really void the warranty?

Also can anyone tell me how well the Audi ones perform at night time, both in driving and parking mode please?

Last edited:
I haven't heard of any quality cams interfering with the dab on the A4 or the A3. Issues with certain windscreens but that's all...
I had the blackvue dual in my A7 and the rear cam wiped out the dab reception, unplug it and it worked fine, plug back in and loose reception.

Update on my issue with the UTR. Got to the point of throwing it out of the window when the WiFi stopped working, the nice German lady stopped talking and the driving recording stopped. Spoke to the dealers, took it in, they tried everything I had and replaced it with a new one.
Result! I now have a working dashcam and am leaving well alone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol, I've just had one fitted to my new SQ5, so fingers crossed it works all ok, and especially when I fit the new 64gb sd card as recommended above.

Lol, I've just had one fitted to my new SQ5, so fingers crossed it works all ok, and especially when I fit the new 64gb sd card as recommended above.

Best of luck! Another tip is when you change the password - stick to something with 10 letters / numbers - it really didn’t like 8!
Will be interested to know how you get on using a new SD Card - I’m sticking with the 8gb for now

Cheers mate, that would explain why I struggled to change it earlier. I'll now try again with 10 digits.

Best of luck! Another tip is when you change the password - stick to something with 10 letters / numbers - it really didn’t like 8!
Will be interested to know how you get on using a new SD Card - I’m sticking with the 8gb for now

I’ve been using a 32gb for the last couple of months with no issues.

Cheers mate, that would explain why I struggled to change it earlier. I'll now try again with 10 digits.

I’ve not bothered changing from the default after the software let me set a 7 character password and then didn’t allow me to connect anymore...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interesting read. Ordered a new S3 and considering getting the UTR front and rear fitted.

Hi Daggerit, I shopped around with different dealerships, one locally quoted £565 for just the front, supplied and fitted. I had it done at Milton Keynes Audi for £356. Big difference.
Hi
I’ve had front and rear fitted to my Q3 at the Audi dealer as wanted to maintain warranty etc, cost £600 parts and labour, but they did have the car for 4 days!

Now from this forum I will be getting a 64gb card as the 8gb is pathetically small and see how I get on.

Does anyone know when you want to reduce the sensitivity of the parking mode do you turn the number up ie towards 5 or down towards 1? Mine always says “events recorded during parking” and it seems to be me opening/closing the back door when retrieving my handbag LOL

I fitted one to mine with @andyhud this week and it wasn't too bad apart from the bizarre wiring they provide for power.

I had one fitted by HazzyDayz recently - if you go into the UTR app and scroll down - tap the software button - it will take you to the user manual button - 1 is insensitive and 5 is very sensitive. For the radar 1= immediate vicinity( whatever that is) and 5 is maximum range.

My UTR app said there was a new firmware update available which "improved reliability of memory cards, eliminating the need to regularly format". I've never formatted my 32gb sd card but have applied the update anyway - so far so good, although applying it it does wipe all your settings and footage.

I wonder if they've changed to another file system on the sd card. Will have to check when I get a moment.

Another recommendation for SanDisk Ultra 64gb microSDXC memory card. Worked first time in my Audi UTR.

I had been using a SanDisk 64gb High Endurance microSDXC card which worked fine until the firmware update at which point the UTR refused to recognise it. I formatted on a computer and it still refused. Infuriating! Tried the SanDisk Ultra 64gb microSDXC memory card and is all is well again.

Reactions: mxnrg
Software looks like a beta version with the developer hoping the gobshites who bought it will give him/her feedback. A good suggestion would be to look at Nextbase. IT WORKS VERY WELL. !!!!! Unlike the AUDIUTR.

Mine works perfectly, the radar for picking up movement is great as is the power management........

How many members have had the misfortune to buy one of these pieces of junk ? First one was returned after a week because it would not connect to the iphone. The replacement does not give speed. I am binning it and buying a Nextbase, which does exactly what it says on the tin. Comments welcome.

Has anyone told you that you sound like an advert for Nextbase, anyone might thing you was advertising for them :flushed:

Reactions: Gingertom
How many members have had the misfortune to buy one of these pieces of junk ? First one was returned after a week because it would not connect to the iphone. The replacement does not give speed. I am binning it and buying a Nextbase, which does exactly what it says on the tin. Comments welcome.

I have front and rear UTR and no problems. It just does it’s thing with no fuss.

Always your prerogative to throw your own money around if that's what makes you feel better. My piece of 'junk' has worked perfectly since the day it was installed by someone who was paid to know what they were doing. Perhaps you're just unlucky?

Audi installed mine. I agree with what people say on other threads that it’s a bit overpriced and not as sophisticated as the most up to date models. However, my car was very new when the UTR was installed. I joked with the service rep at Audi and said I had considered installing it myself. He well yes fair enough but if we break the clips on trim we have to replace them. If you do you pay for them and they’re not cheap. I also like the fact that it has a parking mode but will not flatten the battery. Due to the radar activation of recording in parking mode it is ready to record for a long time. Lots of choices out there but I’m very happy with the UTR.

Another vote for the audi UTR from me too. Sure, I had problems with it first off, but that was me not taking advice from on here initially and buying the wrong SD card.
It makes me laugh every day too - the nice German lady’s voice reminds me of that of the psychopath in Killing Eve ........

I’m running a 32gb SD card with no issues. Personally this is my first dashcam but o don’t rate it. There’s no gps data encoded in the video files. Viewing and downloading over WiFi is rubbish as you need to sit in the card connected to it.

The videos are only 1 minute long and the only decent software for play back on a PC is VLC player which doesn’t play both front and rear video tracks simultaneously. Audi should have bundled playback software with this. Also video format is .mkv or something instead of mp4 which means you need to convert videos before sharing them or them being playable with most apps on your phone.

If I had the choice again I’d have done more research and bought something else rather than assume that Audi would make the best integrated solution.

I’m running a 32gb SD card with no issues. Personally this is my first dashcam but o don’t rate it. There’s no gps data encoded in the video files. Viewing and downloading over WiFi is rubbish as you need to sit in the card connected to it.

The videos are only 1 minute long and the only decent software for play back on a PC is VLC player which doesn’t play both front and rear video tracks simultaneously. Audi should have bundled playback software with this. Also video format is .mkv or something instead of mp4 which means you need to convert videos before sharing them or them being playable with most apps on your phone.

If I had the choice again I’d have done more research and bought something else rather than assume that Audi would make the best integrated solution.

Why bother looking at them unless something has happened?

Why bother looking at them unless something has happened?

Various reasons. But that’s irrelevant isn’t it? Regardless of how pressing the need to review it, the criticism that of how difficult it is to do so is a pretty valid one.

Various reasons. But that’s irrelevant isn’t it? Regardless of how pressing the need to review it, the criticism that of how difficult it is to do so is a pretty valid one.

Don't you find it pretty easy to review in the car using the APP though? Or are you removing the card and reviewing on a computer? I've got to say I don't really look at mine at all, she talks to me when I get in and out of the car and always tells me events are recorded and I just assume its working, it was the same with me when I had the Blackvue on the A7 before but that screwed up the DAB reception totally which is why I opted for the UTR. Obviously I have check there is sufficient recordings when I upsized the memory card and the view for the camera angles when it was installed!

They probably can make a whole load of improvements but I am guessing very little of the Unit is actually from Audi and I also suspect their target market is the install and forget market, not so much enthusiast, and I guess I fall into their install and forget market segment even though I like to tinker a little.

It’s too slow to sit and download videos on the car and you then can’t view them outside of the app.

Much prefer viewing on a PC screen in the comfort of my home.

I think in one of the other discussions about the UTR someone suggested a different piece of software for viewing the front and rear images at the same time, was that VLC or something different?

I specifically mention VLC player in my post above. It’s less than ideal because of the video clip size and how it handles dual channel video.

Media player doesn’t handle dual channel video as far as I can tell. Have hunted for the option and not found it.

Reactions: cuke2u