1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Audi USB interface cable with lightning for MMI

s3mad_dude Dec 2, 2019

1. s3mad_dude

s3mad_dude Noggies ruuuule!

Hi all,
    I’m scratching my head a bit on this one but apologies if I’m being a bit of a noob. I’ve done some searching but didn’t find any reference to my particular setup so I just wanted to ask for your advice.

I have a genuine Audi USB interface cable that came in my Audi phone box. The car has MMI-plus so I wanted to see if I had Apple CarPlay so I plugged my iPhone11pro into both USB1 and then the USB2 port but nothing happens in both cases. The phone doesn’t even charge. I then tried a genuine lightning Apple usb cable and Apple CarPlay fires into life. I’ve taken a photo of the cable (both ends) and just wondered if it’s me doing something wrong? Maybe the cable is defective? What’s the advantage of using the Audi cable instead of an Apple cable? Perhaps the cable isn’t compatible? I’ve just bought the car so apologies if I’m being a bit thick but as the cable came with the car I assume it to be compatible. Many Thanks.

Vehicle is Oct 2016 FL S3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. RichardT

RichardT Well-Known Member

Can’t help with your specific question but I do know that Apple products are very sensitive to 3rd party cables - at least some.

4. jrumball

jrumball Well-Known Member

Audi have been rubbish with App and smartphone compatibility, there are still functions with my car that do not work nearly 2 years after purchase, and they seem to be not interested.... I have used various lightening cables with CarPlay on my FL car with no issues.

I can't quite read the part number but it may not be MFi certified you can check here

https://mfi.apple.com/MFiWeb/getAPS

https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Audi had done something wrong and it wast certified ! Does it charge with a usb wall charger or connect the phone to your computer ? May just be a bad cable .

5. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Apple CarPlay looks to be active on your MMI display no, so something is working.

Genuine or 3rd party, if you connect up and your phone does not charge then you have a faulty cable, faulty phone, fluff in the phones port or a faulty MMI / ports.

6. s3mad_dude

That’s a good idea - I’ll try using the Audi cable with a wall plug to at least see if I can charge a device, but it seems as though the cable might be defective because a normal Apple lightning cable works fine with CarPlay. The model number of the cable is:
    8S0051435D. Thanks for all the replies :)

7. s3mad_dude

Yep, seems the cable must be duff. It doesn’t charge any apple device when plugged into an Apple wall charger (5W or 12W). Oh well, I’ll just keep a normal Apple lightning cable in the glovebox instead. Thanks for all your help guys.

8. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

I use a cheapy Amazon mfi certified cable and it’s been working for over a year. Using the same cable in another car and carplay and everything works fine.
    In previous audis I found the genuine Audi cable broke after a few months even though it looks more heavy duty/durable than the £2 amazon cables I’m using now.

s3mad_dude likes this.