1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi Universal Traffic Recorder (UTR)

mxnrg Jun 4, 2018

1. mxnrg

mxnrg Active Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi Q5 SQ5 owners group MQB Platform

Hello All,

So day one with the UTR (front & rear) installed in my lovely new SQ5 and I already have a problem...

On first connection using the app to connect to the WiFi AP on the device it prompts me to change the SSID, encryption type and password. So I duly change the SSID from AUDIUTR to the snappy UTR18, security type to WPA2-PSK and the password to the 7 character registration of my vehicle. The gem I missed here is that a WiFi password must be at least 8 characters :( So I now have a UTR with a WiFi AP I can't connect to due to a lack of validation in the app, not an issue I say to myself, I'll just use the reset button to reset back to the default and go again...Now six attempts later I'm stumped as to the exact sequence needed to reset the SSID and password. The manual helpfully says the reset button should do this but alas after pressing for anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds I seem to end up back with my modified SSID.

Has anyone successfuly reset their device??? If the dumb software had not presented the SSID/password change screen or done some password validation I would not be in this silly position. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Jeremiah Keane

Jeremiah Keane New Member

Hi,
    Did you get this fixed?
    I have the same problem.
    Thanks

4. mxnrg

mxnrg Active Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi Q5 SQ5 owners group MQB Platform

No, waiting for courtesy car slot as they want to try and fix it one more time. Will demand replacement if they can’t reset the wifi at the second attempt.

How did you break your unit, 7 character wifi password?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Jeremiah Keane

Jeremiah Keane New Member

Just bought a ex demo from the audi garage and they are not sure who set the password on the camera unit. I will let you know if they get it fixed.

6. mxnrg

Thanks, will be interested if they work out how to reset it...

7. Evil Derboy

Evil Derboy Active Member Team Daytona Audi RS5 Owners Group

Just remove the SD card, plug it into your PC and find the config file. Open it up in a text editor like Notepad and see if you can find the WiFi password and edit it.

If not, try deleting the config file (save a copy to your desktop first) and then plug it back into your UTR and see if that helps.

8. mxnrg

Good idea @“Evil Derboy” I didn’t figure that the device would store it’s settings on SD card, but I’m not 100% sure this will fix the issue as I did switch between two SD cards and the wifi settings appeared to be maintained.

Will give it a go tonight

9. Toadoftoadhall

Toadoftoadhall Active Member Team Ara Blue Team Estoril Team Silver Audi RS4 Audi S3 Audi R8

I am having the Audi UTR front and back in my new car - can anyone tell me if i need to get my own mem cards for these and if so what spec and max size should i get?

10. mxnrg

The configuration file on the SD card has a lot of options (including some that I plan to tweak while my WiFi is not working) but it does not have the SSID or the WiFi password.

11. mxnrg

I bought a 32GB Samsung Evo Plus (class 10 / U1) which works well. As the camera needs a FAT32 formatted micro SD cards, I don’t know if bigger would work.

Toadoftoadhall likes this.
  12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Evil Derboy

Evil Derboy Active Member Team Daytona Audi RS5 Owners Group

Bummer!

14. Bob2018

Bob2018 New Member

Hello,
    I had this exact issue and had it fixed yesterday.
    In order to reset your WiFi passord you have to "kill" the camera as it was said to me.
    To achieve this press and hold the power button for 22-30 seconds and release. This apparently resets the entire camera. However this DOES delete everything on the camera memory card.
    If you take the card out and plug it into a computer you can get off what you need but will reformat the card when you put it back into the camera again deleting everything off it.
    Hope this helps.

q5man likes this.
  15. mxnrg

Hello @Bob2018,

So do you hold down the power button for 30 seconds when it’s already on, as after 3 seconds it turns off? When you hold it down for 30+ seconds when it is off, the power light flashed while I was holding the button, but my camera did not reset. Also, did only your password reset to 1234567890 or did your SSID also revert to the default AUDIUTR?

Thanks.

16. Bob2018

Bob2018 New Member

Hello,
    I don't remember if it was on or off when they started doing it sorry. Maybe try both. It reset it back to factory settings fully as I was totally locked out of the camera unit now it works perfectly.

17. Bob2018

Bob2018 New Member

Maybe also try the 22 seconds. As one guy said 22 the other said 30 seconds.

18. mxnrg

Do you recall if the SSID was changed?

19. Bob2018

Bob2018 New Member

I honestly don't know. Mine is now audiutr but don't know if was ever changed from that. Sorry

mxnrg likes this.
  20. q5man

q5man Mythos Appreciator Team Mythos Gold Supporter quattro Audi Q5

Is your UTR all working again now @mxnrg?

21. mxnrg

No. I will have to send a pointy email this week as the service department still haven't conceded that they need to replace the main unit. Sales guy is on my side but I've not had time to give them grief...

22. q5man

Oh dear, that has gone on a bit, you are more patient than me Hopefully sorted soon

23. pxr5

pxr5 Active Member Team Mythos A7 Owner Group Black Edition quattro TDi S-line owners group

Ask for compensation when it's sorted. In fact, don't ask - demand it. Have in mind what you want off them.

mxnrg and q5man like this.
  24. Toadoftoadhall

Toadoftoadhall Active Member Team Ara Blue Team Estoril Team Silver Audi RS4 Audi S3 Audi R8

My UTR is all working well but came with an 8gb card from Audi. It works fine but overwrites it’s files very quickly so I want a bigger memory card now.

Did you have to format this card or does it self format when you first insert the card?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

25. mxnrg

Default FAT32 format worked, but the UTR software can also be used to format a microSD card.

26. mxnrg

So this issue was sorted when the service department at my dealer finally talked to the right folks at Audi technical Basically I needed a blank microSD with two files on it as below:

AUDIUTR.BRN
    SSID_PW.CFG

These were downloaded from a dropsite that I won’t share here as I think it is internal to the tech dept (DM me if you want these). The first file is some kind of binary file that I guess reflashes the camera, the second file is just a text file with the SSID and password.

When I inserted this card into the turned off camera and turned it on, it made a beeping sound and both on/off and WiFi LEDs flashed. I gave it a couple of minutes and then turned the camera off. I then re-inserted a blank microSD card and turned the device back on. After this the SSID was set back to AUDIUTR and the password to 1234567890.

I won’t be changing SSID/password or updating the firmware for a while as I’d like it to just work, tinkering is what broke it first time!!!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    q5man likes this.
  27. q5man

Wow, took some time but glad it is sorted. How are you enjoying your car? How are you finding maintaining after coating? Easy isn’t it.

28. mxnrg

I’m going in to Chingford Audi to buy full set if rubber matts for the car, I’ll see if I can get some goodwill after it took them so long to get back to me with the fix. Audi technical emailed the solution on July 3rd and I had to poke the service dept. to remind them I was still waiting.

My sales guy Nick Payne was quality throughout. Service guys dragged their feet a bit.

Happy now though.

29. mxnrg

Not washed it since I picked it up :O Need to complete that basic wash purchase list soon!

Only done 430 miles in 7 weeks since pickup. Absolutely love the air ride in comfort while running it in and the refinement is superb. Gotta find a reason to put another 570 miles on before I have some fun :p

q5man likes this.
  30. q5man

Jeez, no wash yet
    I did 400 miles on Saturday taking my son to Harrogate and back

mxnrg likes this.