Audi UK Issues 4.0T Recall Notice

RAF_S7

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Audi UK has finally decided to issue a Recall Notice for 4.0T engined models susceptible to the dreaded Turbo Oil Screen issue, which has resulted in a number of cars turbo units self destructing due to oil starvation caused by a blocked oil feed filter/screen.

This impacted the 2014 - 2018 S/RS 6&7 models, as well as the A/S 8 (and some Bentleys & Lamborghini models)

The recall has only just been issued, and you can check if your impacted by inputing your Reg number here and scrolling down to “Check Outstanding Recalls”

Not clear yet if Audi will honour the recall if you have any modifications to the vehicle.

John :racer:

Reactions: NHN and Bishop187
Funny but i emailed them about this a few weeks ago following the Audi of America recall and got fobbed off that "there was no active recalls for my vehicle".

Wonder what they will say now!

Reactions: RAF_S7
As always Audi UK walk a very fine line, usually in their favour.

The recall is still not listed on the government website but I wonder if that is because it is not classified as a safety recall and is because its only a reliability recall?

The recall is still not listed on the government website but I wonder if that is because it is not classified as a safety recall and is because its only a reliability recall?
It is listed on the UK.gov MOT Checker website, which provides a link to any outstanding recalls associated with your registration number.

I’m not sure if there is a gov gateway site that directly lists any recalls across the industry?

John :racer:

Been to my dealer today (Wednesday) to discuss the recall.

They confirmed the recall, indicated that they have two RS6 in the queue ahead of me, and are just waiting on the parts coming in to do the work. They're not really sure how long the work will take (estimated 10 hours) but recon a bit longer while they get used to doing whats required.

As its a safety related recall they will carry out the work ASAP, and expects to have the parts in within 10 days, so have provisionally booked a slot. I asked if I could pay to have the Oil Separator (PCV) replaced at the same tie as its another known weak point on the 4.0T, and he said, its included in the recall work FOC. Result :welcoming:

I told him that its been serviced outside of the dealer network for a few years (my Indy usually does it, but they turned around and refused to service it with OEM parts suppled a friendly VAG Dealer who discounts all the parts) Was told thats not a problem, so pushed my luck and asked if they would service it using my supplied OEM parts. Yes, not a problem they said.

They will probs have the car for 3 days, and they will supply a loaner vehicle for the duration.
Eventuri audi rs7

So good result all round. I will probably remove my Eventuri Intake, so as not to tick them off too much. And no, they didn't ask if Im tuned :friends:

Reactions: billgatese30
Apparently my 2017 MY S7 does not have the recall notice. Have called Audi and they have confirmed this. DVLA checker also say the same thing...Does anyone have any official notification about this? It there anything specific to models about the recall?

If your registration doesn’t trigger the notice on the gov website, then your car isn’t subject to the recall.

Audu has tied the recall down to cars that don’t have the latest version of the oil screen installed in C7. & C7.5 models. I’m guessing that includes 2018 is because some early C7.5 models may not have been sold in U K until 2018 model year ‍♂️

Reactions: FatInBlack
Thanks for the thread. I just checked and car has an outstanding recall as of today (2015 RS6). I tried Audi UK a few weeks go and they claimed
2fc8f9c4d24a7c9562d3c51708626a7b.jpg

there were unaware of any issue but would look at the vehicle at my cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know the official date the recall was issued? I am struggling to find anything UK related (most searches are swamped by the US issues).

I literally just bought a 2013 S7 yesterday. I am sure when I last looked at recalls a few weeks ago while doing my research before buying there were no recalls due then (I could be remembering wrong, I looked at a whole heap of different cars so may have myself confused...), but today (24th) I am now seeing an outstanding recall as of 23rd on the GOV.UK website. Was my timing really that bad!? I just wonder as the wording "recalled since at least 23rd May" is a bit odd - surely it'd just say "recalled since the 23rd May" if there was a definitive date?

Gave Audi a phone and they seemed confused too - nothing on their system, but agreed the GOV.UK website was indicating a recall. Perhaps it takes a few days to filter across to all the Audi dealers?

Noobie question, I've never had a recall on a previous car. How does it work cost wise - do Audi foot the bill or does to owner?

Does anyone know the official date the recall was issued? I am struggling to find anything UK related (most searches are swamped by the US issues).

I literally just bought a 2013 S7 yesterday. I am sure when I last looked at recalls a few weeks ago while doing my research before buying there were no recalls due then (I could be remembering wrong, I looked at a whole heap of different cars so may have myself confused...), but today (24th) I am now seeing an outstanding recall as of 23rd on the GOV.UK website. Was my timing really that bad!? I just wonder as the wording "recalled since at least 23rd May" is a bit odd - surely it'd just say "recalled since the 23rd May" if there was a definitive date?

Gave Audi a phone and they seemed confused too - nothing on their system, but agreed the GOV.UK website was indicating a recall. Perhaps it takes a few days to filter across to all the Audi dealers?

Noobie question, I've never had a recall on a previous car. How does it work cost wise - do Audi foot the bill or does to owner?
The recall started appearing on UK/European sites on 6th May, I checked mine on the gov.uk MOT checker website, and the recall was listed.

Went to my dealer next day, they checked my car against their database and confirmed the recall. Dealer ordered the kit for the recall Same day.

My car went in today (Thursday 26 May 22) Dealer indicated there is a shortage of the service kits for the recall, but as I was one of first to get in, they had a kit delivered yesterday, and my car was booked in.

Ive also got a full service booked (Gearbox, engine, inspection etc.) and they have the car for 5 days to do the work. Courtesy car provided at no cost as it’s a recall :racer:

The recall started appearing on UK/European sites on 6th May, I checked mine on the gov.uk MOT checker website, and the recall was listed.

Thanks for that.

Another probably silly question - how do you tell *what* the recall is for on the GOV.UK website? I checked and it says there is a recall, but nothing about what it actually covers? Presumably it is the oil screen, but I'd like to try and confirm it one way or the other and neither my local audi dealer or the audi UK corporate number seemed to be able to tell me what the recall was for (dealer knew absolutely nothing at all, and corporate's system was down so they couldn't look it up :rolleyes:). They both said they'd look into it more before getting back to me. Seems they are a bit of the loop with what's going on....

I've double checked and mine still isn't showing so I'm guessing mine was built with the latest version of the oil screen :thumbs up:

Thanks for that.

Another probably silly question - how do you tell *what* the recall is for on the GOV.UK website? I checked and it says there is a recall, but nothing about what it actually covers? Presumably it is the oil screen, but I'd like to try and confirm it one way or the other and neither my local audi dealer or the audi UK corporate number seemed to be able to tell me what the recall was for (dealer knew absolutely nothing at all, and corporate's system was down so they couldn't look it up :rolleyes:). They both said they'd look into it more before getting back to me. Seems they are a bit of the loop with what's going on....
Well I watch the US Audi Forums, and they were all over the Safety Recall about a week before it broke here, so as soon as the recall was mentioned for the UK, I checked, seen a recall listed and went to my dealer who confirmed it.

A Safety Recall normally requires a letter to all registered keepers, so once they have enough replacement parts available, the letters should start dropping.

They’ve had mine 2 days now. Not reporting any issues so far (I’m tuned as well) :racer:

Reactions: billgatese30
Hi all. Just jumping on this for some advice. I have 2015 S7 and the MOT website is coming up with an active recall. Have called 3 dealers service depts all of whom have told me there is no active recall on the car. Then called Audi UK customer services who told me that the Dealers will be correct and there is no recall? Why is there one on the MOT website when i put in my Reg No then? Has anybody else had this issue? Thanks

Yeah I am waiting for a call back from both the local Audi dealer and the Audi UK corporate team - neither of them could confirm what the recall listed on the GOV.UK website is for.

At least my Local Audi dealer agreed there was one showing on the GOV.UK website though, they just had no idea what it was for...!

Yeah I am waiting for a call back from both the local Audi dealer and the Audi UK corporate team - neither of them could confirm what the recall listed on the GOV.UK website is for.

At least my Local Audi dealer agreed there was one showing on the GOV.UK website though, they just had no idea what it was for...!
I am in the same boat as you. Picked up the car over the weekend having just bought it. Cant rely on a letter coming through the post as it will probably go to the old owner. Audi HQ said that its only some cars that are being recalled, not all. All very confusing.

Just had a call from my local dealer.

All recall work completed, just carrying out a service which I requested while it was in.

Car is ready to pick up (will collect tomorrow - Tuesday 31 May - due to work)

No issues, happy days

:racer: :racer: :racer:

Just had a call from my local dealer.

All recall work completed, just carrying out a service which I requested while it was in.

Car is ready to pick up (will collect tomorrow - Tuesday 31 May - due to work)

No issues, happy days

:racer: :racer: :racer:
Awesome. Glad you have had a positive outcome :) Would you mind me asking what dealership it was.? Just had a call back from Audi UK customer care who are insistent there is no recall due on mine. Its a mid 2015 Car. All of my local dealerships in Reading, Slough and Amersham also saying no recall on it. The MOT website says differently though.

Thanks for the thread. I just checked and car has an outstanding recall as of today (2015 RS6). I tried Audi UK a few weeks go and they claimed
2fc8f9c4d24a7c9562d3c51708626a7b.jpg

there were unaware of any issue but would look at the vehicle at my cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi there. Did you get anywhere with this. Have Audi confirmed that your RS6 has been recalled?

Awesome. Glad you have had a positive outcome :) Would you mind me asking what dealership it was.? Just had a call back from Audi UK customer care who are insistent there is no recall due on mine. Its a mid 2015 Car. All of my local dealerships in Reading, Slough and Amersham also saying no recall on it. The MOT website says differently though.
Well Im using Newbury Audi, who I purchased the car from.

They've been very helpful all the way through the process, so can't fault them

Have you had the car since new? I ask because its possible that the screen has already been replaced under warranty, in which case Audi may have your car listed as not required on their central database (as opposed to the gov.uk MOT database)

When I went into Newbury Audi, they brought up my car info using the reg number, and agreed straight away that there was a turbo-screen recall for mine (2016 S7)

Cheers,
John.

Well Im using Newbury Audi, who I purchased the car from.

They've been very helpful all the way through the process, so can't fault them

Have you had the car since new? I ask because its possible that the screen has already been replaced under warranty, in which case Audi may have your car listed as not required on their central database (as opposed to the gov.uk MOT database)

When I went into Newbury Audi, they brought up my car info using the reg number, and agreed straight away that there was a turbo-screen recall for mine (2016 S7)

Cheers,
John.
Thanks John. Unfortunately only purchased the car last Saturday. What helped me push the button on it was the knowledge that this recall had been sent out in the UK. So I was surprised when I contacted 3 dealerships this am and also Audi UK, they all said that there wasn't a recall out on my particular car. Bizarrely, I ran a list of all the Reg Nos I could find for 2015 S7s currently on sale through autotrader through the Gov.uk MOT database today.

About 50% had a recall due on them and about 50% didn't. Mine does have a the recall listed on the Gov.uk site though. Not very scientific but it does seem Audi are pulling in the cars based on the actual car, rather than the model., or maybe they are doing the recall logging in blocks of VINS. I cant get a straight answer from them unfortunately. Only that this recall doesn't affect my car. I have the service history print out with the car which is mostly Main dealer serviced bar the last 2 and no mention of it having been replaced already. Best of luck with yours tomorrow. on pick up I am smitten with mine, and its standard.

04/05/2022​
R/2022/132AUDIA6 A7 A8THE MESH SIZE OF THE OIL STRAINER IN THE OIL SUPPLY FOR BOTH TURBOCHARGERS IS TOO SMALLThe mesh size of the oil strainer in the oil supply for both turbochargers is too small.The oil strainer will be replaced with a revised version with a larger mesh size.
4690​
21H7A6WAUZZZ4G0DN002362WUAZZZ4H1HN901252

Table for reference; VIN Range of vehicles affected.

04/05/2022​
R/2022/132AUDIA6 A7 A8THE MESH SIZE OF THE OIL STRAINER IN THE OIL SUPPLY FOR BOTH TURBOCHARGERS IS TOO SMALLThe mesh size of the oil strainer in the oil supply for both turbochargers is too small.The oil strainer will be replaced with a revised version with a larger mesh size.
4690​
21H7A6WAUZZZ4G0DN002362WUAZZZ4H1HN901252

Table for reference; VIN Range of vehicles affected.
Thanks for this. My VIN is WAUZZZ4G4FN040700. So by my reckoning, mine should be subject to the recall based on the above VIN Range? Or am I reading it wrong?

Unfortunately that VIN does require the recall.
Thanks for the confirmation. I will continue to pester Audi then :). Can I ask the source of your table above? Is their a link to a pdf somewhere. All evidence i can muster will help my cause. Thanks very much for your help.

Just got mine back from the dealer :racer:

All recall work completed, with one exception - they need to order a special calibration chart for the front cameras, as a full calibration alignment including radar, is required after putting everything back together.

They even updated my MMI, which had a 3rd party upgrade to enable Audi Smartphone function a few years ago.

While they were in there I had them change my spark plugs for a set of NGK SILFER8C7ES / 91006 Iridium‘s and changed the coil packs for the latest upgraded APR set. And they discounted the cost of doing all that by 50%.

It does look as though they have flashed the ECU as part of the upgrade work, as the car seems down on power. Tbh, I had expected this anyway, and had already let my APR dealer know. They said just bring it in and we will re-flash Stage I back on, with a minimum cost for labour. No charge for the APR software. STAGE III is on the cards anyway, so may live with it stock for a couple of weeks as I’m still waiting my ECS turbo pipes to arrive.

Audi dealers sometimes get a bad press here and in other forums, but I can honestly say I’m impressed with how my dealer managed everything from start to finish, including a 4 day courtesy car ( A5 coupe, they wouldn’t let me have the RS6 :blownose:)

My car has been serviced outside the dealer network for the last 3 years, but the supplying dealer welcomed it back like a long lost child.

Shout out to Newbury Audi :yahoo:

John :hi:

Reactions: creweaudiparts, billgatese30 and Adam1977!
Reactions: FatInBlack
That's correct, recalls issued by the DVLA are indifferent to the S or RS models. My RS6 oil strainer recall only appears when A6 is selected.

However, like @Adam1977! my local Audi dealership (Plymouth) has thus far proven useless. I am tempted to make the trip to Newbury Audi based purely on @RAF_S7's experience.

Be interesting to know the part number of the Oil Strainer that they're going to fit as a part of this recall. Since according to ETKA the latest revision is 079115175G, however many customers still report blown turbo's even with this version of the filter.

That's correct, recalls issued by the DVLA are indifferent to the S or RS models. My RS6 oil strainer recall only appears when A6 is selected.

However, like @Adam1977! my local Audi dealership (Plymouth) has thus far proven useless. I am tempted to make the trip to Newbury Audi based purely on @RAF_S7's experience.

Be interesting to know the part number of the Oil Strainer that they're going to fit as a part of this recall. Since according to ETKA the latest revision is 079115175G, however many customers still report blown turbo's even with this version of the filter.
Im not seeing any report of significant failure numbers post Revision G, not even in the US Audi forums that Im in. (Think Ive seen 1)

Lots of people running without any strainer, but if Audi are doing the work they won't entertain that.

Audi UK are allowing the dealers to bill for 8 hours labour, but the tech I was taking to says its closer to 12, as they are constantly having to refer to EKTA to check what they are doing is correct, especially for all the ancillary parts and torque settings.

They wouldn't give me a copy of the recall work sheet, but indicated that its the Revision G strainer thats being fitted.

They also indicated that there is a shortage of recall kits, because its a global recall on the 4.0TT engine, so there may be a wait until parts become available.

I approached today as I booked my service and came across this post and spoke to Audi Stafford in regard to this and the booking dept said they cant see any recall even though it comes up with one on DVLA. I am booked in for Thursday this week so will update as soon as I know - thinking of maybe popping down to them and speak to the dealer prior today.

I have attached the DVLA screenshot for mine. 2013 S7

Attachments

• recall.jpeg
    recall.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 109
For anyone finding the process of rectification difficult, the following documents should yield a more desirable outcome with your local dealer.

Attachments include;
VW Group Recall Acknowledgement Letter dated March 20th,
21H7 Safety Recall Notice issued March 23rd,
Chronology for Audi Recall 21H7 issued March 23rd,
Advance Notice to Dealers issued March 29th,
Owner Notification Letter & Relevant TSB (21183020446405)

Attachments

• 21H7 Safety Recall Report.pdf
    213.2 KB · Views: 157
  • Chronology.pdf
    205.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Manufacturer Advance Notice to Dealers.pdf
    824.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Owner Notification Letter.pdf
    611.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Recall Acknowledgement.pdf
    629.9 KB · Views: 145
  • TSB 21183020446405.pdf
    248 KB · Views: 189
For anyone finding the process of rectification difficult, the following documents should yield a more desirable outcome with your local dealer.

Attachments include;
VW Group Recall Acknowledgement Letter dated March 20th,
21H7 Safety Recall Notice issued March 23rd,
Chronology for Audi Recall 21H7 issued March 23rd,
Advance Notice to Dealers issued March 29th,
Owner Notification Letter & Relevant TSB (21183020446405)
I’m not sure if these will be of much assistance in the UK….:readit:

Can anyone confirm changing the PCV (079103542E) is included in the recall?

The campaign is postponed until the parts arrive, so my local dealer can't confirm as they can't see the repair guide yet.

Can anyone confirm changing the PCV (079103542E) is included in the recall?

The campaign is postponed until the parts arrive, so my local dealer can't confirm as they can't see the repair guide yet.
Replacing the PCV/Oil Seperator is not part of the recall work package.

I was actually quite lucky as I had already started planning for a major service, including oil screen and PCV replacement when the recall was triggered, so I had quite a lot of maintenance parts already gathered - including the PCV. The PCV is quite an expensive part, and although the dealer initially said PVC replacement was part of the package, it wasn’t. It does need to be removed in order to change the oil screen though. They changed mine, using my supplied part :hi:

Replacing the PCV/Oil Seperator is not part of the recall work package.

I was actually quite lucky as I had already started planning for a major service, including oil screen and PCV replacement when the recall was triggered, so I had quite a lot of maintenance parts already gathered - including the PCV. The PCV is quite an expensive part, and although the dealer initially said PVC replacement was part of the package, it wasn’t. It does need to be removed in order to change the oil screen though. They changed mine, using my supplied part :hi:

Thank you for the clarification, guess I'll be ordering the PCV beforehand then...