Audi UK Configurator vs EU

jeremyw78

Reaction score
Hi All

Just posted this on the A6 thread but thought I'd post on here too.

Anyone have any ideas regarding the severe limitations Audi UK have imposed when it comes to options?

I thought the options list was limited when I ordered my A5 Sportback 3 years ago. I'm now looking to place an order on a new A4/5 or 6 but the options list has become even worse!

It has been suggested this has something to do with WLTP but this doesn't add up to my mind unless Germany are exempt from WLTP!? Head over to Audi.de and you can configure the hell out any model! You can choose from 11 (yes, 11!) different alloy wheel options on an S-line model compared with the paltry 4 on the UK configurator. Go for a Black Edition over here and you get no choice on alloys (its a take it or leave it). The configuration options on Adui.de is unbelievable! Just head on over and get your internet browser to translate the page, you'll be astounded!

As for the UK configurator I can no longer de-select sports/s-line suspension for standard/comfort suspension or upgrade to adaptive. I can no longer have a flat bottomed steering wheel when selecting the Tour Pack (adaptive cruse etc) I have both on my current A5. I cannot choose type of LED lights (i.e. you cannot change from Matrix to HD Matrix) and so the list goes on!

We now have to chose from Sport, S-Line or Vorsprung, choose a colour and that's about it!

This so called rationalisation of options is really turning me off becoming a repeat Audi owner!

Have Audi given any kind of press release or statement on why they appear to be penalising UK buyers?

Reactions: Jassyo06
Yep all to do with co2 emissions. I have already decided might keep my Audi as I cannot get the options I want and have on my current car. Really frustrating as a number of options have now disappeared from the model list from 3 years ago.

Yep all to do with co2 emissions. I have already decided might keep my Audi as I cannot get the options I want and have on my current car. Really frustrating as a number of options have now disappeared from the model list from 3 years ago.

Hi JRF

How can it be related to emissions? I believe Germany have to meet the same regulations (Euro 6 / WLTP) so why can they have all the configurable options (such as which type of suspension they prefer) but UK buyers cannot? It makes no sense.

I queried this with my local dealer, agree really annoying they said unfortunately uk buyers cannot speck a car as they want like they used to. That is why I am thinking of staying with my car because I do not want another black edition but not have the options on my current car like heated rear seats unless I look for a vorsprung which will be a lot more a month and I have not found many second hand so far especially with my 2.0 tfsi engine

It’s also down to economics - the market for Audi is much larger in Germany vs UK .
(A) they sell more volume there . (B) German company car structure means many of the units are not the standard ones like here with baseline engines etc, but high spec .. very much down to differences in tax and incentive regimes.

l have been on the German car configurator many times in the past few months and its not just that more models are configurable the Germans also have more models for example the S3 Saloon Edition 1 and the S3 Sport back Edition 1.....the flat bottomed steering aint available on some models as Audi have been too lazy designing one that incorporates the sensors for the semi autonomous cruise control....so if a car has this as standard no flat bottomed steering wheel is available the new A3/S3 Vorsprung models are prime example of this
lts more of a case of Audi streamlining model options to cut down build time and also and more importantly so to save money the US and Asian markets get the best of both worlds always have done to be honest....A RS3 Saloon in the US is the same equivalent price in the UK as a S3 Saloon

l have been on the German car configurator many times in the past few months and its not just that more models are configurable the Germans also have more models for example the S3 Saloon Edition 1 and the S3 Sport back Edition 1.....the flat bottomed steering aint available on some models as Audi have been too lazy designing one that incorporates the sensors for the semi autonomous cruise control....so if a car has this as standard no flat bottomed steering wheel is available the new A3/S3 Vorsprung models are prime example of this
lts more of a case of Audi streamlining model options to cut down build time and also and more importantly so to save money the US and Asian markets get the best of both worlds always have done to be honest....A RS3 Saloon in the US is the same equivalent price in the UK as a S3 Saloon[/QUOTE

RS3 vs S3 and US vs Uk : maybe price difference is partly sales tax .. 20% in UK (VAT) , much lower in all US states (zero in some).

Over on the Seat UK configurator there have been pretty much zero options on any of their cars for a few years now with the exception of maybe colour and engine, only several grades with ever increasing specs as you go up the range.

I am wondering if VAG have been trialing it with Seat and decided to take it across some of the rest of the group?