Audi UK Configurator vs EU

jeremyw78

Reaction score
Hi All

Just posted a reply on an earlier thread regarding the severe limitations that Audi UK have imposed when it comes to options, particularly when you compare against competitors such as BMW.

I thought the options list was limited when I ordered my A5 Sportback 3 years ago. I'm now looking to place an order on a new A6 but the options list has become even worse!

It has been suggested this has something to do with WLTP but this doesn't add up to my mind unless Germany are exempt from WLTP!? Head over to Audi.de and you can configure the hell out any model! You can choose from 11 (yes, 11!) different alloy wheel options on an S-line model compared with the paltry 4 on the UK configurator. Go for a Black Edition over here and you get no choice on alloys (its a take it or leave it). The configuration options on Adui.de is unbelievable! Just head on over and get your internet browser to translate the page, you'll be astounded!

As for the UK configurator I can no longer de-select sports/s-line suspension for standard/comfort suspension or upgrade to adaptive. I can no longer have a flat bottomed steering wheel when selecting the Tour Pack (adaptive cruse etc) I have both on my current A5. I cannot choose type of LED lights (i.e. you cannot change from Matrix to HD Matrix) and so the list goes on!

We now have to chose from Sport, S-Line or Vorsprung, choose a colour and that's about it!

This so called rationalisation of options is really turning me off becoming a repeat Audi owner!

Have Audi given any kind of press release or statement on why they appear to be penalising UK buyers?

Part of it is down to WLTP rulings in that every configuration needs to be tested. I suspect that LHD and RHD cars also need to be tested seperately as well which may explain the different approch in Germany.

Another major element comes down to marketing and logisitics. By covering all of the options in the way you suggest it becomes very expensive for Audi UK and the dealer network to keep spares for all the differnet permutations and the dealers also do not like it because it becomes much harder to sell new cars, having to take a customer through the whole configuration process each time and with that also comes the need for every sale to to be a factory order with long lead times. Oddly specced trade-ins are also a challenge to sell. Near me there is someone with a bright orange A6 Allroad, which presumably cost several thousand pounds to order and will probably reduce the trade-in value as it is not to everyone's taste.

Finally, I recently read an old (couple of years ago?) interview with the then new Audi CEO who said his aim across the whole of the Audi product range was to reduce the number of order permutations inorder to reduce the cost base of the business. This is not just an Audi thing but something that is being seen across all manufacturers

Further to the lack of options offered by Audi, just noticed that only real option on the E-Class is the colour of the exterior and interior, otherewise there are no options. Also on the 5 Series, BMW makes you think there are lots of options available but in reality you can only get them in bundles.

Hi All

Just posted a reply on an earlier thread regarding the severe limitations that Audi UK have imposed when it comes to options, particularly when you compare against competitors such as BMW.

I thought the options list was limited when I ordered my A5 Sportback 3 years ago. I'm now looking to place an order on a new A6 but the options list has become even worse!

It has been suggested this has something to do with WLTP but this doesn't add up to my mind unless Germany are exempt from WLTP!? Head over to Audi.de and you can configure the hell out any model! You can choose from 11 (yes, 11!) different alloy wheel options on an S-line model compared with the paltry 4 on the UK configurator. Go for a Black Edition over here and you get no choice on alloys (its a take it or leave it). The configuration options on Adui.de is unbelievable! Just head on over and get your internet browser to translate the page, you'll be astounded!

As for the UK configurator I can no longer de-select sports/s-line suspension for standard/comfort suspension or upgrade to adaptive. I can no longer have a flat bottomed steering wheel when selecting the Tour Pack (adaptive cruse etc) I have both on my current A5. I cannot choose type of LED lights (i.e. you cannot change from Matrix to HD Matrix) and so the list goes on!

We now have to chose from Sport, S-Line or Vorsprung, choose a colour and that's about it!

This so called rationalisation of options is really turning me off becoming a repeat Audi owner!

Have Audi given any kind of press release or statement on why they appear to be penalising UK buyers?

Hi All,

I believe that each EU country has different options and option bundles on offer. I spent couple of hours going through various Audi configurators and found amazing differences. Having said that UK and Ireland is not doing bad here.
Just go give you few examples from standard equipment list for A6 C8:
UK S-Line this year offers standard tinted windows (rear passenger sides and rear window)
All Irish cars come as standard with sound insulated glass windows (all specs)
In Germany and Poland you have to pay for a split folding rear seats and the smallest engine on offer 35tdi comes with 150bhp. This is done to get A6 more accessible to lower budget buyers and boost sales figures in a country where when picking a company car you have to choose German brand to avail tax perks.

Also option bundles varies from country to country so it is not necessarily a thing of RHD and LHD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk