1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Audi TT 8J steer on 8P?

henkkeumus Mar 19, 2020

1. henkkeumus

henkkeumus Dutchman

Hi,

I'm looking into fitting a flatbottom steeringwheel.

I have experience with fitting all A3 steeringwheels but not retrofitting an Audi TT 8J wheel into an A3 (I've read on the internet this should be possible).

Can someone confirm this?

I have a spare MFSW (see photo). So I thought of buying a cheaper flatbottom of a 8J without radiocontrol buttons. I'll whip out the ones I got in my spare and fit them in the 8J flatbottom, will this work (because of the chrome trims on the sides).

Next to that, I'm gonna need an airbag is there some kind of list I can take in account? I know the 8P uses airbags that are 2 stage (green and orange connector). Not sure if the 8J use this too. If so, then I can re-use my existing airbagcable that's on my older 3-spoke MFSW right now.

Help would be highly appreciated :D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. samuelh_888

samuelh_888 Well-Known Member Audi S3 Black Edition Manual

The 8J is also dual-stage. What does your existing wheel look like, is it a round airbag or shield shape?

4. LEE69

LEE69 07 170 DSG Team Dolphin Grey Audi A3

Round air bag buttons are different than the shield air bag buttons

5. henkkeumus

henkkeumus Dutchman

Nope, got the older 3-spoke S-Line wheel, i've chosen to fit that one when I bought the car because I was sharp on money.
    Now that I can spend some more and want it neat I'd like a flatbottom, the only thing is I don't know the airbags and cables for these things.

I've read about the 8J that fits in the 8P so want to buy a 8J TT flatbottom steer and migrate all buttons and such to the flatbottom.
    Only thing, I don't know if the existing airbag loom + MFSW will fit on the round airbag and WHAT airbag should I get for the flatbottom.

Current wheel:
    (came out an Audi A5 :) )

[​IMG]

Spare wheel:

[​IMG]

If the airbagconnectors match, then I can just search for an airbag with the same connectors and it should fit? I know there are 2 variants of the older steeringwheel so I don't want to make the mistake again to buy an airbag that doesn't fit in the wheel :).

6. henkkeumus

henkkeumus Dutchman

Are you sure? Isn't it just a cover that places over the buttons for a mm or cm?
    I don't think Audi makes different buttons for every steer, that would costs much much more in production.

7. LEE69

I'm a 100% been there got the T shirt myself lol

8. henkkeumus

henkkeumus Dutchman

Yep I see, on further inspection I see the controlmodules have a bit of a raise on the side of the airbag.
    You are right indeed. Mmh, then I can't reuse any of my spare wheels and should just get myself a full wheel with airbag.

[​IMG]

9. LEE69

Yes

10. samuelh_888

samuelh_888 Well-Known Member Audi S3 Black Edition Manual

Your current airbag won’t work, I’m not sure of the loom. The airbag is 8J0880201

11. henkkeumus

henkkeumus Dutchman

No that was something I'd figured out already haha, physically it wont fit no haha

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5010 met Tapatalk

samuelh_888 likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. henkkeumus

henkkeumus Dutchman

Bought myself a complete kit from a TT 8J.

[​IMG]

14. henkkeumus

henkkeumus Dutchman

Got it home, little first impression

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. henkkeumus

henkkeumus Dutchman

Aaaaand it's in :)

[​IMG]