Audi tell me to go to the motor obudsman to complain about my brakes squeaking!

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I will be honest this is suprising. First of all before I get into the crux of the matter. Bit of background and one question for you guys.

My car brakes have been squeaking; just like every other person on this forums RS3. I dropped my car off at Audi last week to look at the brakes and my squeaking sunroof.

I had an email from the dealer telling me that they greased the sunroof but there was no fix for the brakes - Audi said it was a characteristic of the car.

I got the car back - the sunroof isn’t making any noise right now - which is good. But the smell is terrible. It has been 5 days and it smells excactly the same. It is a chemical smell - as you would expect and it is not nice. It gives me a headache. I am hoping it will clear eventually but I am not sure.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Because if this smell doesn’t clear - I can’t drive the car like that for the next several years. It is only drivable with the windows open and roof open. I would argue that this is more of an immediate issue than my breaks.

Before I collected my car I did send an email to Audi Executive Office saying that I refused to accept that the car should sound like a bus when driving it... and this is what I got back:

————

“Furthermore, if Coulsdon Audi have advised that the brake noise is a characteristic of your vehicle and does not affect the performance in any way, then we would not replace the brakes under warranty as the noise may remain.

If you remain unhappy, I can advise you of the services provided by The Motor Ombudsman, a CTSI-certified Alternative Dispute Resolution provider that we are prepared to engage with through the ADR procedure. Please find their contact details below:

The Motor Ombudsman
71 Great Peter Street
London
SW1P 2BN

Tel: 0345 241 3008

www.themotorombudsman.org

May I once again apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

Thank you for contacting Audi UK.”

————

All I asked was for them to change the brakes or try and do something and they want me to take it to ADR!?

brake noise is a characteristic of your vehicle”

That is an absolute disgrace!!!!!! So they purposely engineered that noise did they? F*cking Idiots.

Reactions: evil_scooby
I had the same response regarding the bucket of nails sound when starting from cold...
Absolute crap aftersales....

Just change the pads to non OE *** noise goes after that.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06, AudiNutta, jimojameso and 1 other person
OP, sorry to hear of your problems. I'm currently got a whole list of my own on my 3 month old S3. Executives office, VWFS and dealer are involved even after numerous repairs and in fact I have a squeaking roof. Have you tried rejection? Always a difficult decision but it sometimes is the only way.

Just change the pads to non OE *** noise goes after that.

TX.

Sorry mate, but that's as disgraceful response as Audi's. Brakes shouldn't squeal like those of the RS3's do. We know the reason why they do. And it's not a characteristic. It's poor manufacturing tolerances. It would be appalling on a £20k car, never mind a £50k halo car.

You most definitely shouldn't have to spend a few hundred quid on aftermarket pads :sadlike:

@Spinstorm let me know who you email at Audi and I'll also lend my support. I'm sure quite a few other members on here would be happy to do the same. It's about time (bear in mind this goes back to the first RS3) that Audi pulled their finger out and sorted it.

Reactions: James 123 and KKOG
@D0C Audi will never sort the brakes, they run the same setup on every single RS model. It's a simple fix, why go through all the heartache with Audi?

TX.

Reactions: Jassyo06, AudiNutta, DW81 and 3 others
@D0C Audi will never sort the brakes, they run the same setup on every single RS model. It's a simple fix, why go through all the heartache with Audi?

TX.

Agreed @terminator x

Simple fix

Fit A N other pads.

Reactions: Jassyo06, jimojameso and Terminator x
Agree with the lads above. It's pointless going round and round in circles with Audi. Just get some different pads and move on :)

TX.

I agree, life's too short to worry about such trivia when a simple pad change will make the problem go away.

Reactions: jimojameso
Are they not going to fit the dampeners? Audi MK did that on mine and the squeak has been all but gone for over a year now...

I agree, life's too short to worry about such trivia when a simple pad change will make the problem go away.
Unfortunately there is a principle here as we all know, same as the low speed exhaust rattle

I detest being told ‘all RS3s are like that’

Reactions: D0C
Are they not going to fit the dampeners? Audi MK did that on mine and the squeak has been all but gone for over a year now...

Dampners?

Agreed @terminator x

Simple fix

Fit A N other pads.

Does that fix it? what pads? I assume have to change every wheel.

Surely Audi should cover this - not me.

Has anyone here actually complained to the motor ombudsman? I will file a complaint today - I can't see any harm.

As for the smell the dealer told me within 7 days it should pass and its the cleaning product not the grease. Seeing as 7 days is tomorrow I doubt it. Audi Exec office got back to me and the lady there did say she would ask them to take the car back and sort it out ASAP. Obviously I hope it clears as I can't say I want to return my car to that service department.

Dampners?

Does that fix it? what pads? I assume have to change every wheel.

Surely Audi should cover this - not me.

Has anyone here actually complained to the motor ombudsman? I will file a complaint today - I can't see any harm.

As for the smell the dealer told me within 7 days it should pass and its the cleaning product not the grease. Seeing as 7 days is tomorrow I doubt it. Audi Exec office got back to me and the lady there did say she would ask them to take the car back and sort it out ASAP. Obviously I hope it clears as I can't say I want to return my car to that service department.

They will take it back, give it a full valet, cover your car in silicon to mask it and provide a million swirls.... I’d be sorting it myself.

TX.

+1, I’m of this opinion now with everything. Dealers are a waste of time, putting time and effort into arguing only tarnishes the ownership of the car before you start to resent it and don’t enjoy the ownership like you should. This is why I’ve let complaints slide of late, just can’t be bothered because I will end up hating the car. Dealers are a waste of time the for the majority and it won’t change.

Surely Ferrodo’s are no more expensive than OEM pads anyway? My squeal is rare and minimal so I won’t change the OEM’s with loads of life for new yet, but when I change pads it will be for an aftermarket variant. Even if they cost £100 more, what’s £100 to save months/years of back and forth the dealer losing battle, hours on the phone building frustration.

Plus I asked a dealer yesterday and got told aftermarket discs / pads will have no effect on warranty.

Reactions: Behind The Bins and jimojameso
Surely I'm not the only one who hasn't got squeaking brakes? And if so then there must be some differences between the brakes that are making some squeak ans some not?

This is what they did..went from squealing like a pig to getting a squeak only on extremely rare occasions..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180712-181417.jpg
    Screenshot_20180712-181417.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 328
Surely I'm not the only one who hasn't got squeaking brakes? And if so then there must be some differences between the brakes that are making some squeak ans some not?
Mine have never squeaked either, but didnt want to jinx it. Mines a weekend car so spirited driving mainly. I'm 2000 miles in and sometimes I might do a gentle motorway drive but still no squeaks. No town driving though

Reactions: AudiNutta
A we
Mine have never squeaked either, but didnt want to jinx it. Mines a weekend car so spirited driving mainly. I'm 2000 miles in and sometimes I might do a gentle motorway drive but still no squeaks. No town driving though

A weekend car for me too and I do drive in town sometimes but no squealing for me either.

It is weird ..

1200 miles in and mine don't squeak either, daily driver and mostly around town.

Mines a daily around town and give it a good blast on a regular basis, hard use of braking when I do.

Mine were ok right up until around 6k then they started squealing.

No reason to it, they just started doing it one day.

Mine are squeaking at 200 miles but I was well aware it might happen when I bought the car. A change of pads will be on the cards shortly.

I used to have it when it was new.

Now I don’t get hardly any, only if I’ve had a fairly steady trip out then occasionally I get the slightest bit of squeal as I pull to a stop. No complaints about my brakes.

My PFL has done approx 29k miles so far, most of that motorway driving (my car works for a living...). Can't say that I have much squeaking. The brakes did squeak for a while when we had snow and gritted roads. But a couple of hard stops cleared that. It occasionally happens again at low speeds; again, find a safe bit of road with no one behind and use the anchors to clear it.

Reactions: Terminator x
Have you guys with the squeelers tried bedding in the brakes. This has allways sorted my previous hi perf cars with new pads.

Find a quite road and do about 5 or 6 hard brakes from around 100kmh, press hard so the abs almost kicks in but don’t come to a complete stop. Then let the brakes cool without using then, ie. drive around for about 5 mins slowly without braking if poss.

Have you guys with the squeelers tried bedding in the brakes. This has allways sorted my previous hi perf cars with new pads.

Find a quite road and do about 5 or 6 hard brakes from around 100kmh, press hard so the abs almost kicks in but don’t come to a complete stop. Then let the brakes cool without using then, ie. drive around for about 5 mins slowly without braking if poss.
Yes, tried everything! Mine were truly horrific...this site won't let me upload the recording but you'd laugh, you really would. I've not heard anything like it from brakes before. But to be fair, Audi replaced the pads when I played it to them and which I didn't think would work, but the squeal has 70-80% gone. I get some intermittent squeal but I can now live with it at that level.

My brakes used to squeal terribly when i got the car. Now on 10k miles and haven't heard any squeaks in months. Maybe it goes away after few thousand miles?
I know i was singing down the new pad route as well as it was embarrassing, but thankfully away

Not sure if they suggest something different when new or pads are not wornbin etc

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Mine are squeaking at 200 miles but I was well aware it might happen when I bought the car. A change of pads will be on the cards shortly.

Mine went away at 1k, give it a chance to disappear first fella.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Callum66
+1, mine is near as damn it gone and has been for a long time.

***************Stop Press******************

***************Audi Nutta*****************

***************Reports no problem*********

***************with braking system*********

***************on his car*******************

***************system error****************

***************this can't be right************

:whistle2:

Last edited by a moderator:
***************Stop Pres******************

***************Audi Nutta*****************

***************Reports no problem*********

***************with braking system*********

***************on his car*******************

***************this can't be right************

:whistle2:

:lmfao:

Hey I don’t falsely complain ;)

I’m on Page 18 of that document of the DAZA engine, the Mrs’ started to grunt then so had to put it down sat beside the pool ;)

Hey I don’t falsely complain ;)

I’m on Page 18 of that document of the DAZA engine, the Mrs’ started to grunt then so had to put it down sat beside the pool ;)
I would rather be looking at my now ex missus in a bikini then looking at DAZA coded engines or if you have a wondering eye stick your ray bans on and look at other bikini clad women mate:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Sandra and T-800
I would rather be looking at my now ex missus in a bikini then looking at DAZA coded engines or if you have a wondering eye stick your ray bans on and look at other bikini clad women mate:tearsofjoy:

Nearing 6 years together I know how she looks from memory ;) Get in trouble for looking anywhere poolside, easier to bury my head in a PDF ;)

Reactions: Sandra

Nearing 6 years together I know how she looks from memory ;) Get in trouble for looking anywhere poolside, easier to bury my head in a PDF ;)
Mate, 6 years...you need to trade her in. She's well out of warranty ;)

Reactions: Sandra, Marshy and DW81
I had extremely squeaky brakes with vibration coming through when I first got the RS3, i'm now on the 5th iteration of disks on the front I think now and the 3rd on the back. Also had the dampers fitted to front callipers. Squeak is totally cured. Vibration seems ok but I'm not 100% sure yet. need a few more miles to make sure.