Audi symphony upgrade?

rs13219

Reaction score
I feel that the standard stereo lacks base, i don't want to change the head-unit or speakers though ideally just add a sub. I understand that audi fitted subwoofers to some models. Mine is the standard Audi symphony single slot with integrated tape deck from a 2001 A4(b5). Even if i can upgrade to an aftermarket sub i'd be happy, but i would have thought the standard head-unit would not have pre-outs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Yes it has pre-outs, you can pick up the remote on & rear pre-outs off the rear amp which is bolted to the rear left speaker.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it has pre-outs, you can pick up the remote on & rear pre-outs off the rear amp which is bolted to the rear left speaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

hi andy is this easy to do? id love to add a sub to mine is there soldering involved is there any wiring diagrams? on the net?

sorry so many Qs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

After having a quick look on Audiworld i found this
i know our head unit is a symphony type however the rear amp might be the same.
-------------------------------------------------

Adding a Powered Subwoofer to non-Bose '98 A4 Concert Stereo

This is how I hooked up a powered subwoofer to my non-Bose 98 A4 Concert stereo.

Run main power wire to the battery and route to the trunk. You can lift the trim moldings slightly and push the wire under. I ran the wire through the ECU case. There is a 4 inch by one inch hole that the computer wires follow into the cabin.

Connect Ground to an exposed screw or other joint. Be sure to use the same gauge wire as the power wire. The left rear speaker contains a small circuit board which drives the rear speakers. Disconnect the circuit board from the factory harness. There is a small release button on the blue connector you need to press. I removed about an inch of additional tubing from the wire bundle to have more room to work with. I used 18-22 gauge crimp-splice connectors I got from Radio Shack.

Connect the white wire to switch on/off the amp. Do NOT use this wire for the amp's main power. Find an old pair of RCA cables and cut it in half. Strip three inches off the end of each lead. Twist the outer bundle shielding together on both wires. Trim the common ground bundle to about half an inch. You will now have a wire with two RCA jacks on one end and three wires on the other end. (Remember, one for each signal [Left and Right] and one for both grounds).

Connect the common ground lead to the brown wire with red stripe.

Connect the Left channel wire to the blue wire with green stripe.

Connect the Right Channel wire to the blue wire with red stripe.

Connect the RCA jacks to the amp's pre-amp input.

(Note: These are the colors I got from the diagram on the back of my radio. I recommend checking your wiring before beginning. Your radio may be different.)

andymac

what sort of size of sub and wattage. would you recommend to use with the standard amp?
thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

andymac

what sort of size of sub and wattage. would you recommend to use with the standard amp?
thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good bit of info man, nice one. How powerful is the standard amp?

You can't do anything with the standard amp, apart from use it as a very small ashtray. In order to add a sub you need to install a proper amp, 250wrms+.
The standard rear amp is 2 x 20w, woohooo!
To install a proper amp you need to run a decent 8 guage+ fused power cable directly from the battery. The pre-outs on the OEM rear amp are purely used to feed the low level signal to the proper amp.

thanks andy as always
what size sub amp do you have a spec of what you have in the car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I use an Alpine V12 MRV-T505 (300wrms bridged) driving a 10" sub, but have recently fitted the same amp driving a JL 6.5" stealth sub to the wifes B6 Avant to good effect. Really depends if you wanna keep the boot clear. Auto Acoustics do custom enclosures that fit in the B5 rear wheel arches, either side or both. 2 x 8" JL units would sound pretty sweet in those units.

[ QUOTE ]
I use an Alpine V12 MRV-T505 (300wrms bridged) driving a 10" sub, but have recently fitted the same amp driving a JL 6.5" stealth sub to the wifes B6 Avant to good effect. Really depends if you wanna keep the boot clear. Auto Acoustics do custom enclosures that fit in the B5 rear wheel arches, either side or both. 2 x 8" JL units would sound pretty sweet in those units.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do these custom boxes cost?

Ouch that's steep. Would it not be cheaper to get a carpenter & carpet fitter to make one up! lol.

[ QUOTE ]
Ouch that's steep. Would it not be cheaper to get a carpenter & carpet fitter to make one up! lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
tis a bit however no worries about fitting problems as it just need velcro which i think they supply and away you go. my problem is if i get a standard enclosure is mounting it securley to the car.

"Would it not be cheaper to get a carpenter & carpet fitter to make one up!"
What for a £120? Chippy's must be pretty cheap in your neck of the woods.
I charge £90 for a custom stealth enclosure for the A3 and that doesn't make me any money, just pays for my time and materials at £15 per hour and that's using an existing design with all the templates ready to go. The problem with custom enclosures is getting the design in the first place so that it fits properly.

i agree with you
any ideas on mounting a standard sub box to the car?

In the past i've always screwed mine down using L-shaped brakets & velcro taped where i cant get to, never had any probs.