SQ5 Audi SQ5 Issues 2020 model

Well it went in this morning,

I had to go out with the Tech, and he heard the tinkling of the Engine a good few times, and immediately said it could be something to do with the Injectors. But he also did mention what you told me, he would be surprised if some of those parts mentioned by the FB page were needing renewed for a 2020 model

Also tried to brake to make the rubbing noise sound but couldn't, probably because we had just travelled a good few miles to Audi, but he said the pads etc may just need a clean up, but will be checked over. Never mentioned the sensitivity of the brake though but he will notice when on a test drive.
*Just to add with the courtesy car, when pressing the brake hard, the car slows down fast but gradually, whereas the SQ5 suddenly brakes, when I was coming up to junctions, roundabouts etc, I would press on the brake a few cm's and the car would really hard brake, I got to thinking maybe its because it's an SQ5 and it has some sort of higher rated discs/pads as standard, is this true and does your SQ5 brake really hard?

Lastly nothing was mentioned about the Brake Servo but again its in the work notes, so let's see how long this takes

Just to add, the Tech guy was the person who sorted my Q5 Pano Sunroof after 2 years of them trying to fix it. So I know the guy working on it is good and "should" bring back results.
What was your roof issue and what was the fix? Mines got a rattle when fully closed. Even if it’s slightly open it goes, which makes me thinks it’s not greasing but the brackets or something..

The pano roof ended up being the alignment

Reactions: jdp1962
Just had the SQ5 in for a few days for all to be locked at / fixed again, apart from the brakes pads & discs which are working fine.

I honestly can’t believe it, Audi have FINALLY fixed the brake click/ting noise when releasing off the pedal

No idea what they have done, but it’s now like a brand new brake pedal, no clicks or anything it’s working as a normal,
with no mention on the sheet what was carried out but I’m so happy!

Maybe the correct “modified“ Servo has been fitted now, but no idea how to tell..hmm

Original Audi Cam (Aug 2021) stated the modified Servo was def fitted, the tech mentioned the metal pin as pictured and finger pointing to it, can anyone confirm this? And does anyone have a copy of the alert which made Audi change it?

E87F7F53 3EBA 462C 9A95 F5B8369623D8

Last edited:
Regarding the “tinkling”. Maybe talking ******** but I have heard of cars have a tinkling from the turbo waste gate linkage.
View attachment 255813

This is one thing I mentioned to the Tech on the road test before they had it for a few days

He said if it was indeed the Waste Gate Linkage or the fuel / Air ratio, Audi would most certainly have fault codes popping up

Driving home from Audi, I couldn’t hear the tinkling, but need to road test it more for this issue I’m not counting this being properly fixed.

Reactions: Jcbmally
Been reading this with interest, as my brake pedal occaisonally twangs or makes odd noises, my car is a 2019 build (guess at Oct/Nov), 2020MY. I've not really thought much about it, and also I'm dreading the rigmarole of going through this with the local dealer, given the recent experiences I've had with a fault and service.

Been reading this with interest, as my brake pedal occaisonally twangs or makes odd noises, my car is a 2019 build (guess at Oct/Nov), 2020MY. I've not really thought much about it, and also I'm dreading the rigmarole of going through this with the local dealer, given the recent experiences I've had with a fault and service.
If you have the below issue coming from the brake pedal, and feel a click when driving and releasing, also hearing a clang/ting on occasions. Then you definitely need to get the car in to be looked at.

it’s not my video below, but I had the exact same sounds from the pedaL, which Audi were originally saying it’s normal and I had the new Servo. Apparently it’s the Bosch which are giving issues

As far as I am aware it was the old servo replaced with the new one. What I couldn’t understand is if the old style one was known to have issues, why was it fitted to a 20 yr mdoel?

Does anyone know how much the modified Brake Servo would cost, and how much cost in Audi labour?

Your not going to believe this, last week I asked what work was actually carried out on the brake, because it's working 100 times better now

I also noticed when I received the work invoice after picking the car up, among a few other issues, the pedal issue hadn't been mentioned/recorded.

So what a surprise to hear that Audi had finally installed the modified brake servo, yet.... in August last year 2021, yes a year ago, I was being told it already had the modified brake servo from an experienced tech, and confirmed this by pointing to a brass pin under the bonnet on the Audi Cam video.

The brake pedal is 100 times better (like bew), but we have noticed a slight judder when first pushing down on the brake pedal 1/4 way then it stops, its very intermittent. We thought it was the type of soles on our shoe, but its happened a few times with different shoes.

I also noticed the pedal has way more play than before, previously when you braked about 1/4 way the brakes were hard kicking in, but now there is way more travel before completely braking. I'm not complaining though, not feeling or hearing that clank is a god send! !

Any news mate?

Mine isn’t anything like the video, it very occasionally gives a twang whilst driving, but I can’t get it to do it on demand like that.

Tinkling can still be heard, urgghh

Good tes: If you drive to the bottom of a hill then drive up the road, the tinkling can be way more prominient.

Its like metal pinging off metal, in the old days it sounded line your Tappets.

The engine is trying to work harder and the tinkle tinkle noise can be heard, sounds like crap to be honest!

Going to try and get a recording one of these days.

Just to bring this one back from the dead,

As it's now summer and windows down the tinkling (urgghhh) can be eaily heard, especially going through a tunnel and accelerating, or accelerating near a wall which echoes the noise back to you.

I also noticed this on a forum which is spot on with what I'm hearing, like dropping small screws into a glass jar.

After some more digging, I managed to find a thread which the guy explained the noise perfectly "Kinda like... pouring small screws into a jar, or dumping a bag of M&M's into a glass". Taken from here: https://www.rx8club.com/.../what-tinkling-sound-engine.../

Im thinking of trying the premium Diesel for a bit, but not sure if that will help to be honest.

I've not read the whole thread on this so apologies if its been mentioned already. I've been reading up on this recently as I'm thinking of having our timing chain done soon and a lot of companies offer the rocker arm replacement at the same time.

In the new (2019+) 3.0tfsi engines they have revised the bearing for the rocker arms. Easy to find new and old part numbers. With pictures also.

A few people have had total failures (more in the US than in the UK) but apparently its very little and not as comman as people make out.
I'm keeping an eye on mine as I believe the rebuild cost is 4k plus

Reactions: Leebroath
Ok so you suggest that it could be the bearings which are emitting the tinkle noise?

It’s a shame there isn't a fault code which springs up if these are failing

It’s Diesel
Nothing to worry about as far as I'm aware. The problems with rocker arms have all been petrol from what I have read.

Could be worth a look into though as the noise you have mentioned sounds exactly the same as the rocker arm bearing fault.

Another comman issue with the petrol sq5 is injectors (most companies are now saying these should be replaced after 40-50k!!). Could be worth looking into for yours.

And finally . High pressure fuel pumps on newer engines seem to make some strange noises. Lots of videos on YouTube with 3.0tfsi being overly noises. Could be worth a look into for 3.0tdi as well.

Keep us posted

Wouldn't the tinkling noise pop up an error code if something was wrong with rocker arm fault?

Wouldn't the tinkling noise pop up an error code if something was wrong with rocker arm fault?
They do throw up codes when they fail properly. From what I've read when they go the whole engine stops pretty quickly and a rebuild is required.

The main problem with the old type is the bearings are too small. So when they start wearing they start rattling just a tidy amount due to the bearing wear. 99% will be fine with wear and the engine will carry but its the noise making most people change them to the newer type