Audi Sport number plate surround

alijnclarke

Reaction score
So was in my local Audi dealer this morning looking at the new RS3 and noticed a number plate surround that actually looks good.

I've placed an order for a set, thoughts ?

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 3,575
Reactions: Bristle Hound
Only missing the 'Net' on the end ... :superman:

Reactions: ACWKGYTO, Yasin M, MattSedg and 3 others
Dont like surrounds, just adds clutter. But if you do then that's quite a nice one.

Looks better than a dealer name below the plate. I take it the plate slides in with the surround screwed to the tailgate outer panel ?

Took me an hour to remove the taped on plate when fitting my PP so much easier if you ever need to remove it and hides the fixings too.

The other thing a lot of dealers are doing these days is using 'tabbed' number plates. Normal plates but with a tab at the bottom with their name on. My own dealer knows not to use these on my car as I don't like any form of surround and the minimum amount required by law on the plate and in the smallest lettering. The dealer always fits a new set of my personal plate to my new cars and I leave it to him to remove the existing ones from my trade-in. So when I collect my new car there are two cars on the forecourt with the same number. Not strictly legal but.....

Horses for courses, different strokes for different folks. I went into our local Audi dealer when we lived in Germany and bought a set of their standard surrounds, I like the added 'German-ness' they give to the car and they also serve as a nice reminder of where we were living when we bought it.

20150626_1542281_zpsjh0qrggp.jpg

Reactions: RS3 S. and Rob2k68
Looks better than a dealer name below the plate. I take it the plate slides in with the surround screwed to the tailgate outer panel ?

Took me an hour to remove the taped on plate when fitting my PP so much easier if you ever need to remove it and hides the fixings too.
I'm not quite sure how it works to be honest, it doesnt seem like the plate goes inside it looks more like this:

Screws > Plate > audi sport backing > car

more of a backing cover i guess.

I'll need to get a new number plate though because as mentioned mine is one of those tabbed types with the dealer name on

Here is a photo of the back of my A3 with the plain as possible plate.
A3 2014 H03

Reactions: RichardT
I'm not quite sure how it works to be honest, it doesnt seem like the plate goes inside it looks more like this:

Screws > Plate > audi sport backing > car

more of a backing cover i guess.

I'll need to get a new number plate though because as mentioned mine is one of those tabbed types with the dealer name on

I cut the tab off on mine. Really easy!

Once it's in the surround you can't see it.

Did the surround cost you £10?

Thats just how i want mine when it finally arrives, how is your plate stuck to the car?
Using large double-sided sticky pads designed for the purpose. My front plate is the same and just uses the sticky pads to attached it to the front plate holder in the grill. Make sure you tell your dealer that's what you want and don't listen to any of their excuses. It's your car, your paying for it, have what YOU want! If you want a copy of the photo to take along to them just sent me a PM with a email address and I will send one on to you.

I completely agree, though this one only shows the surround at the bottom, it's not visable on the sides or top, personally i think it looks awesome.

Could always sharpe that in ;)

If you think a number plate surround looks awesome i'd hate to imagine what you think about the grand canyon. :haha:

I prefer the most minimum plate frame. I have this on currently. The carbon fiber ones are even better, that have no logo on them, but Audi overprices them.

ZAW071801C_ZM.jpg

Reactions: Blackwhite
Here's how the minimum plate frame looks on my A3's trunk, or should I say boot(y). :witless:

i2asklyaYKABJ.jpg

Very Nice!
Looks just like mine, only mine is Glacier White and a Ct. License Plate. :zap:

Last edited:
If you like the plate as plain as possible why have the "GB" bit on the left? Are you scared you will forget which country you live in? :laughing:
I have the GB on my plates because I take my car to mainland Europe 4 or 5 times a year and don't want to have to put a GB sticker on the car. Most other EU countries do not have the option. All of their plates come with their country designation on their plates as standard. My main objection to number plate surrounds is that there are just free advertising for the dealer.

Reactions: Martinbanshee and s3_trev
What ever you fit, make sure you get it level and central, nothing pee's me off more than a reg plate not fitted perfectly. Like some I've seen on here!
My A3 was fitted an inch to the right. My S3 I fitted them myself.

Reactions: glospete and s3_trev
30f8024854fe44092ce202dc091a834b.jpg
I replaced the dealer's surrounds with these - I don't like doing the dealer's advertising for free either!..

Reactions: jimladallen
Are these frames designed so you can slide your number plate out or change it without having to unscrew it?

Yes, they are hinged at the top. The surround comprises a backing strip which fixes to the car either by screws or sticky pads and the surround/frame which is hinged to the backing strip at the top. The plate slides in , you fold the frame down and it clips at the bottom.

Does anyone know if you can pick the Audi-sport plates at any dealer or that they have to be ordered?

The other thing a lot of dealers are doing these days is using 'tabbed' number plates. Normal plates but with a tab at the bottom with their name on. My own dealer knows not to use these on my car as I don't like any form of surround and the minimum amount required by law on the plate and in the smallest lettering. The dealer always fits a new set of my personal plate to my new cars and I leave it to him to remove the existing ones from my trade-in. So when I collect my new car there are two cars on the forecourt with the same number. Not strictly legal but.....

Also my plate has this black tab along the bottom too.. Does that mean the above linked surround won't be compatible??

Yes you will have to remove the tab. Just unscrew your existing plates and put these on and slide in the plates and lock them.

I bought something similar but it won’t fit on my front plate as the screw holes don’t line up

I might have to pick up some new plates then. Any recommendations? Halfords seems the most straight forward, if I'm gonna get a new plate I might quite fancy the domed black effect tho....! Doesn't look like Halfords do that.

I might have to pick up some new plates then. Any recommendations? Halfords seems the most straight forward, if I'm gonna get a new plate I might quite fancy the domed black effect tho....! Doesn't look like Halfords do that.

I got mine from Hills Numberplates via Jardine Audi (Hitchin)

ePFLxch.jpg

Reactions: Bells
Used "Plates for cars" online. They're Dublin-based, but delivery is really quick. Reasonably priced and good quality.

So you guys put these on the front as well?

I had a look with the ones I ordered online and the holes don’t line up with the front on mine (I don’t have the Audi sport ones; just generic ones that look the same).

I want to be able to remove my plates easily so need them on front and back.

So you guys put these on the front as well?

I had a look with the ones I ordered online and the holes don’t line up with the front on mine (I don’t have the Audi sport ones; just generic ones that look the same).

I want to be able to remove my plates easily so need them on front and back.

Just fitted mine on the rear.
With the OEM Ines you can use any of the holes on the holder to line up with existing holes on car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan
Did you screw the surround on, and just placed the plate inside with nothing extra to stick it on?

Spot on mate, just used the screws that were holding the plate on before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan