Audi Sound System Upgrade vs. Standard System

When test driving an S3 with B&O i was quite impressed with the sound quality and also liked the led's on the speakers, however due to my budget i couldn't justify £750 for the B&O system therefore I ordered the Audi System.
Since collecting my car last week I can honestly say that I'm glad i didnt spent the extra bucks on the B&O as I think the Audi System in the S3 is actually better than the last 3 Audi's ive owned and they all had Bose in them!!

So if you want a good system and don't want to spend a fortune then defo go for the Audi System!!

When test driving an S3 with B&O i was quite impressed with the sound quality and also liked the led's on the speakers, however due to my budget i couldn't justify £750 for the B&O system therefore I ordered the Audi System.
Since collecting my car last week I can honestly say that I'm glad i didnt spent the extra bucks on the B&O as I think the Audi System in the S3 is actually better than the last 3 Audi's ive owned and they all had Bose in them!!

So if you want a good system and don't want to spend a fortune then defo go for the Audi System!!

I have the B&O sound system. I am currently in a loan car with the standard Audi, and the center speaker from what I can tell looks exactly the same as the B&O center speaker. I dare say the grill is the same, its just what is underneath that is changed. Let me know if you want a pic still

Hi Andy,

If you can post a picture showing the centre speaker, that would be great.

Cheers, Allan

Yes but if you want to listen to music in a car B&O is great ( especially in an A7 or A8! )
I'd consider myself an audiophile (£700 doesn't even touch an upgrade these days, £7000 would be closer - but that's probably why I haven't upgraded for a long time...).

I have spec'd the ***....

Reactions: oufc1976 and JohnM100
The A7 B&O is nearly £7 k.. To be honest on the A/S 3 and 5 the B & O is great value at circa £500. (Over *** in A/S 3

The A7 B&O is nearly £7 k.. To be honest on the A/S 3 and 5 the B & O is great value at circa £500. (Over *** in A/S 3

The Bose surround sound in an A7 is £1,000 but the B+O Advanced Sound System is £6,300. Any one who pays that for a sound system in a car must be made of money, stupid or someone else is paying.

Reactions: cemerson
Goes with the car. More expensive car = more expensive options. Just because they can and it more likely fits in with the budgets of people who buy those cars.

The Bose surround sound in an A7 is £1,000 but the B+O Advanced Sound System is £6,300. Any one who pays that for a sound system in a car must be made of money, stupid or someone else is paying.

Come on Dave, I could say that about your preferred spec. Sensible spec results in decent residuals.

FYI Bose is standard fit on A7 BE and pretty darned good it is and even if you had to pay for it an absolute bargain IMHO. Turn up the volume and it rocks...

The B&O Advanced is just awesome, however the price is rather OTT even on a top end car.

For my 2p (again) it is down to taste and I agree if you only talk to your wife or listen to the Archers even *** is probably a waste of money for you ... but for +£500 (£455 after discount) over the *** the A/S3 B&O is great value. Total cost = £750 (£675 after discount).

Goes with the car. More expensive car = more expensive options. Just because they can and it more likely fits in with the budgets of people who buy those cars.

My spec is based on what I want in my car for the next three years rather than on it's residual value.

I enjoy talking to my wife and have never listened to The Archers in my live !!!

Again put your money into what you will enjoy. :)

My spec is based on what I want in my car for the next three years rather than on it's residual value.

I enjoy talking to my wife and have never listened to The Archers in my live !!!

Again put your money into what you will enjoy. :)

Yes Dave but why say we are stupid spending our money on music rather than options and PPs that you happen to like, slightly contradictory don't you think! ;-)
I certainly don't buy cars or options solely based on RV but those who only buy what they want with no eye on future value are IMHO the foolish ones.

Last edited:
Yes, imagine if people ordered what they wanted rather than what will make them more money. It's almost as though some people buy a car to drive rather than to sell, what idiots eh?!!

Reactions: Artimus and JohnM100
Yes Dave but why say we are stupid spending our money on music rather than options and PPs that you happen to like, slightly contradictory don't you think! ;-)
I certainly don't buy cars or options solely based on RV but those who only buy what they want with no eye on future value are IMHO the foolish ones.

I not saying people who spend a reasonable amount of money on a particular option are silly. I just think spending £6700 on a B+O system for a car is silly. The option for the A3 sounds (no pun intended) a reasonable buy if you enjoy playing music in your car. All my options and the original price for my Personal Plate added together would not come to £6700.

The trade-in price I've got for all my A3s has always been above 'book' and several of the options have added more to that price so I do seem to get some return on my choices but I choose want I want and not what I think will make my car worth more in three years time. Whenever I trade-in my dealer has no trouble in selling on my car in a very short time. It is often sold before he even gets it so I must be doing something right. I just don't see the point in spending money on options that will not do what I want, like Sat/Nav for example, that I will never use just so that my car may possibly be worth a few hundreds more in three years time. I'd rather just keep the money and use it towards my next car :)

I didn't tick the £6000+ option box for B&O on my A7 BE as the Bose was more than adequate and a match for the B&O on previous A 5s .
On the 8 v S3 in particular I would predict Glasses and Cap will list B&O and Nav & comfort to be the expected options on such cars and those without will be bumped down in value. Bit like MB imports with fabric seats in the 80' s hard to sell on at a decent price.

As for Px, I avoid that if I can as it can give you false illusions of the deal. As mentioned in previous posts trade value is just an indicator . Our old 8p achieved 26% above trade in price.

They will laugh at my non nav car when trade in time comes lol.

looking forward to hear the B&O, as long as its as good as the audi upgrade in my A6 im happy

Can anyone who has the Audi sound system, please post a couple of photos showing the centre speaker in the dashboard and the subwoofer in the spare wheel well.

Many thanks, Allan
I think someone already has a good picture of the sub woofer in the wheel well. So here is the centre speaker on my ***.

Reactions: ahfh1
Hi Guys,

I'm speccing the audio on my new 8V A3 and was wondering if anyone can give me a steer!

Sadly I can't stretch to the B&O system but can manage the Audi upgrade. Is it worth upgrading from the standard? Or is the difference negligible?

Thanks in advance!

My advice?? Dont eat for a week and if you dont die you would have saved for the BO . I have been for years one of those persons that upgrades the sound system of my cars because these have never been properly designed nor thought in conciense. This time is different BO is exquisite and its perhaps the best every day use upgrade that makes me smile and shiver every time i use it .

Reactions: markjames, mjcourtney and PilotAudi
For all those who say they are audiophiles... A true audiophile wouldn't listen to music in a car - the noise floor is far too loud :)

Fortunately, there is much more to enjoying music than the noise floor.:sly:

Having listened to the standard audi setup I find it more than adequate for my needs. In my experience there are many out there who don't seem to understand the difference between volume, bass, position of the instruments and clarity of a sound system. You could spend half the amount that the B&O costs on a domestic system and get just as good, if not better sound and more features

Last edited:
Having listened to the standard audi setup I find it more than adequate for my needs. In my experience there are many out there who don't seem to understand the difference between volume, bass, position of the instruments and clarity of a sound system. You could spend half the amount that the B&O costs on a domestic system and get just as good, if not better sound and more features

I guess we are putting to much importance in a secondary thing on the car. This car is for driving and well if its the case that one loves sound then there are several standards
To be achieved . I personnaly think
Audi has done a
Great job with the bo ppl where rhey have designed the sound system
Since scratch of the whole car. But as said before it all depends on individual standards
And priorities .

I will be test driving a 2.0TDI-184 Sportback on Thursday and my wife has just copied some of our music on to an SD Card to take with us and try. I'm sure it will have just the standard system so it will be interesting to see what it sounds like.

She has an Audi A1 with the standard system and is quite happy with the sound she gets from that when she is driving. Personally I very rarely listen to music when I'm driving so the sound system will be more for her benefit when she 'borrows' my car for some reason.

I think the issue of music is personal.. like politics, millions vote Tory others (probably the majority) think they are a load of TO 55 ERS... Some folks prefer to spend their money on decent music others either can't, or don't see the point.

What I suggest this Forum does is challenges doing the same thing all the time and puts pros and cons for different options. And as for Mr Cuke.. sure you can buy better home systems but if I am travelling often alone on business I like to listen to decent (my opinion) music from a decent B&O (my opinion) sound system. If Dave and Mrs Robinson are happy with the standard system, with a silver car, with cloth seats and small wheels fine also.. at least we've moved them towards quattro!!

Hi Guys,

I'm speccing the audio on my new 8V A3 and was wondering if anyone can give me a steer!

Sadly I can't stretch to the B&O system but can manage the Audi upgrade. Is it worth upgrading from the standard? Or is the difference negligible?

Thanks in advance!

Don't get the Audi sound system. I have it and I really don't rate it at all. I think that the standard Audi sound system is very average for a premium car (my 59 ford focus speakers were way better), and upgrading to the Audi sound system isn't a good enough improvement.

The B+O system is incredible, but I was in the same boat and couldn't stretch to it. I have some Harman Kardon sountsticks in my office, and after using them, listening to my Audi sound system is just a big let down.

There are so many good options available on the new A3, if you can't get the B+O speakers, just spend that money on other features instead - folding wingmirrors, privacy glass, etc.

I think the issue of music is personal.. like politics, millions vote Tory others (probably the majority) think they are a load of TO 55 ERS... Some folks prefer to spend their money on decent music others either can't, or don't see the point.

What I suggest this Forum does is challenges doing the same thing all the time and puts pros and cons for different options. And as for Mr Cuke.. sure you can buy better home systems but if I am travelling often alone on business I like to listen to decent (my opinion) music from a decent B&O (my opinion) sound system. If Dave and Mrs Robinson are happy with the standard system, with a silver car, with cloth seats and small wheels fine also.. at least we've moved them towards quattro!!

Why do you have to bring politics in your posts. Do you have some sort of chip on your shoulder.

Much as I love this forum and the debate that goes on, it is nothing to do with the forum as to why I may be going to 'quattro'. It has far more to do with the fact that Audi do not make an A3 with what I want unless I have a 'quattro'.

I want something that has a diesel engine that is as good and has as much power and torque as my current Sportback. That, from my test drives, lets out the 150. The other 'must have' is the s-tronic gearbox. The only A3 that offers that is the 2.0TDI-184 s-tronic quattro. I'm sure the quattro will be great but I don't have it at the moment and manage to drive without it!!

As far as the sound system is concerned I no longer do long journeys on 'business'. I only ever drive for pleasure and if I am on my own I prefer not to have any music. If my wife and I are on longer journeys we both prefer not to have music. My wife is quite happy with the standard system in her A1, so I'm quite sure she will also be happy with the standard system in the A3, for the few times she dives my car on her own. £255 is not a lot for the Audi Sound System and I may consider that but certainly not the B+O system.

In my GTi days the first thing I used to do when a got a new one was to start taking it apart to install a new head-unit, amplifiers and speakers. But the system in the GTi in those days were rubbish and I quite liked listening to music in the car. Not any more on both counts.

As for Px, I avoid that if I can as it can give you false illusions of the deal. As mentioned in previous posts trade value is just an indicator . Our old 8p achieved 26% above trade in price.

That's very good! Did an Audi dealer offer you the 26% above trade in price? Was that after 3 years?

That's very good! Did an Audi dealer offer you the 26% above trade in price? Was that after 3 years?

Audi advertised and sold it for me. One good reason for developing a good relationship with your dealer. Bought in March 2011 sold January 2014.