1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi sound system bass "upgrade"

kpm278 Nov 9, 2018 at 5:44 PM

1. kpm278

kpm278 Member

I posted this in A3 section but no love so will try here:

I’ve recently installed the factory sub and centre channel in my standard sound system. Have found it a bit wanting, mainly with the sub. It doesn’t carry a bass note very well. It punches fine, enough for my needs, but unless the song is bass heavy, it’s a bit lacking. Also find myself fiddling the settings from song to song to get the best out of it. Modern songs are clear and full, but older it’s almost like I don’t have any bass.

Is this because the speakers are factory; or

the mmi is powering 10 speakers and I should get an amp for the sub; or

I need a dsp to improve the sound?

For comparison the sound I get from a pair of sonos play ones, all my music sounds great.

Thanks

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. leonwilliams

leonwilliams Active Member

Do what I did went android. Added amp and sub alongside Mr existing system which is none bose. Now my system is awesome.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. kpm278

kpm278 Member

Should add I have an 8v with MMI, looking to keep that bit standard. Is the amp the bottleneck in the standard setup?

5. leonwilliams

Yeah. It was lacking that kick . Like I said it's jbl 12" sub and amp cost me £35 wireing free off mate took me about 2hours all done.

6. kpm278

kpm278 Member

Ok, I'm tempted to get an amp and wire it into the standard sub and see what happens....

7. leonwilliams

Dont think that will work mate. It's different configuration . Is yours none bose

8. kpm278

kpm278 Member

yes, none b&o. its the 10 speaker audi sound system. i don't know what outputs are on the back of the mmi - i doubt it has rca's.

can i connect head unit > sub speaker wire > amp > speaker wire > sub?

9. leonwilliams

Ok you possibly need to pull head unit out see what outputs it has. If it's got rca's it's all good just case of running remote to switch amp on. Then your gonna have to run power from battery to amp. If you look through my posts

I'm sure I did a write up of my install. There's others guys on here that have other ways of sorting. I had a concert11 head unit. Thata why I went android.

10. kpm278

kpm278 Member

leonwilliams likes this.
  11. leonwilliams

Yeah thata a better plan mate. See how it goes at least you got option of bigger amp if needed. Where you based ?