1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AUDI Service - advice

DeeGee68 Jul 12, 2018

1. DeeGee68

DeeGee68 DeeGee68 Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Audi S3 Manual

Hi ALL!
    I have just had my S3 serviced (for FREE) by AUDI as I was credited a service. I also had the Haldex service and MOT done at the same time. Everything good and no advisories! :yahoo:
    I would be grateful for any advice regarding the Air Conditioning. I have just noticed a very bad smell when the Air Con is on and wanted to know if I need to service the Air Con to get rid of it. I spoke to AUDI and they said I could also try a Air Con 'bomb' but advised me to ask the forum as someone on her may have encountered the same problem.

The S3 is a 2014 build and as far as I can tell the Air Con has not been serviced from new. I believe the Air Con needs to be serviced every 2 years (according to AUDI). I am happy for this to be done but am not sure they can guarantee the odour will go after the service.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

David :thumbs up:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. ScottTDI

ScottTDI Member

Turn the heating up to max and run for 10mins, that should kill the bacteria smell coming from the vents.

DeeGee68 likes this.
  4. Matt Titanium

Matt Titanium Well-Known Member Team Navarra Audi S3 Manual

Air-con usually smells because of mold. This can happen if you leave your air-con running all the time and leave the car with all the moisture still on the air-con matrix. - a breeding ground for bacteria. Turn the air-con off a few miles from home with the fan fairly high to let it dry out and it shouldn't be as bad.
    A bomb is a slow release device you use with the ventilation system recirculating to kill the bacteria and will certainly help. Just don't be in the car at the time!
    As far as air-con servicing, con is probably the word. It will either work or not or gradually fade away if the system is leaking. All Audi will do is check, check, check and top up the gas. Plenty of threads on here where a regas has caused the condenser matrix to leak. I'd leave well alone if it still gets cold enough.
    The compressor seals are the most likely parts to leak. Run the air-con every few weeks for a few minutes and it'll keep the seals lubricated and lengthen their life..

4K and DeeGee68 like this.
  5. DeeGee68

Thanks for the responses and I will try - AsottTDI - Matt Titanium

I believe at some point the Air Con will need servicing and as I have taken out the extended warranty (just in case) I would rather have all the servicing done just in case (and because it is my pride and joy) after all we would not be members of this site if it was just 'a car'.
    I like to look after my car so that I have trouble free motoring, only my opinion of course. I also get positive comments from friends and family as to how well maintained my car is :yahoo:

ATB!

David

6. Matchman54

Matchman54 Member Team Floret Silver TFSI Owners Group Audi A3 S-line owners group Manual

I've used an air con bomb for a bad smell in my A3 it worked a treat and had no problems since. Just remember to take the pollen filter out and follow the instructions and all should be clean smelling once more.

DeeGee68 likes this.
  7. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Well-Known Member Team Racing Blue Mica Audi RS3 quattro Sportback

Dealer has told you to come to the forum, wow haha! I’ve been told by a few to stay far away from forums as they are bad news, maybe they are worried we will all gang up.

Back to your issue, have you checked the condition of the pollen filter?

DeeGee68 and 4K like this.
  8. 4K

4K Well-Known Member Team Glacier Audi S3 DSG

I was quite surprised by that too.

Seems like Audi are finally catching on that some people on here know better than some of their own staff!

DeeGee68 and AudiNutta like this.
  9. DeeGee68

Pollen filter replace in the service

10. KenL

KenL Well-Known Member

My pollen filter didn't get replaced at first service. Dealer said it was due at 40k.

11. 4K

4K Well-Known Member Team Glacier Audi S3 DSG

Mine was replaced on its first oil change after 8,000 miles. Not sure how long I'd had the car, but probably around a year.

DeeGee68 likes this.