Audi S6 C6 gearbox oil change

metroracer

Reaction score
Good morning,

New to the forum and was hoping for a bit of advice.

I have had my 5.2L S6 for around 16 months now, it has been a wonderful experience (albeit, often making me paranoid).

But, I think it would be wise for me to change the gearbox oil on the ZF 6HP26A box sooner rather than later. A lot of the advice seems to just be "take it it to a garage" from the facebook pages, but I would much rather not if I do not have to.

The advice I am after is what is involved in this job, I am aware I need to replace the sump and filter and know to only use ZF fluid. Do I need any computer resetting, etc, etc.

If any guides or tutorials from people who have done this job themselves on their S6/RS6 would be appreciated if available.

Many thanks in advance.

Joey

Tbh on that engine, I wouldn't want it to be done wrong, no offense, so maybe use a good Audi garage, not necessarily Audi themselves, just someone with experience.

If it's the same as say an A3, then it's not hard tbh but needs diagnostic tools to check oil temp before removing, if you're feeling confident, then I'm all for trying as long as you're ok doing.

I appreciate that it may not be the easiest of jobs, but I do know my way around a car (I have built a kit car, engines, race cars, etc). I would love to know my S6 more, that includes regular maintenance on the car. So far I've only given it an oil change and had the inlet manifold off.

I have access to a diagnostic tool, I can check if this can test the gearbox oil temperature.

What I am looking at more specifically is:

- Where is the oil filler?
- Is there anything else I require other than the sump filter and seal kit?
- What is the oil capacity on the 6HP26A?
- Do I just have to remove the exhaust to take the sump off or is there more?

Regards

Joey

Sounds like you'll walk it tbh mate.

Sounds like you'll walk it tbh mate.

Sorry I bothered asking for any advice, people in the kit car and racing world normally try and provide assistance without comments such as that.

Huh, I was being sincere in my reply, as in, sounds like you have the experience to get the job done well & without any stress, jees.