Audi s4 calipers vs 320mm calipers!

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Guys am i right in thinking the s4 and 320mm brakes share the same caliper just a different carrier?

Thanks.

Also do this look like s4 carriers?
20180902 172218

are those the s4 ones you bought dani, what is the part number on the carrier and caliper, I had a note on my laptop for part number comparisons.

Cant seem to find one if im being honest rob and yes they are s4 ones

320mm tfsi ones.

I havent got the time at thw minute or for a while for that matter to whip the wheels and brakes off to check side by side or i would.

320 & 345 are different part numbers but the two both use the same pistons seals kit , that would imply the calipers are the same , its been a while since I looked into the upgrade but from memory i'm pretty sure the calipers are the same but the carriers are slightly different to allow for the 345 discs.

Reactions: Dani_B19
They do look the same as 320's , but then they would really as the caliper is the same , just a difference in the carrier.

Upload 2018 9 2 18 33 56

having thought about it I think the carrier is just a bit wider on the back to allow for different mounting hole positions to move the whole unit a tad further away from the disc, about 12mm I think

the S4 carriers are 1K0 615 125B same part is used left and right.

The s4 doesnt have a larger piston does it?

Theres no part number on the carriers that is visible rob.

Hopefully someone can confirm frim the carrier picture with the measurement

If it did then the seal kit would be different, but both are the same part number.

maybe worth sending a pm to "yorkietom" as I sold him my tfsi caalipers and he is selling his bits now , he maybe able to help you with that dimension.

rob

Rob younsir are a legend, thanks for confirming the piston size, ill also message him now

Guys am i right in thinking the s4 and 320mm brakes share the same caliper just a different carrier?

Thanks.

I have the 320mm brakes 1LA fitted to my car and I bought some s4 carriers from America to change to the 345mm discs, they fitted but I had to remove the splash guards and the calliper rubbed on the disc a bit to much for my liking.

I’m sure I have heard that the s4 callipers have a little extra machining to allow for clearance of the bigger discs.

I have ended up buying returning to the stock callipers and have bought some brembo callipers to fit to the car, just need to decide what discs I’m using now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a lad on here so time ago fitted carriers from a a3 3.2 v6 which had 345mm discs and had the same issue as you have just mentioned.

Shouldn't be an issue if using the 320mm calipers with s4 carriers though, as Rob said there the same caliper!

Ive got both s4 and 320mm calipers so worst comes to worst i cam swap the calipers, i just dont want to remove my calipers due to the hassle and the fact mine are fine

I know a lad on here so time ago fitted carriers from a a3 3.2 v6 which had 345mm discs and had the same issue as you have just mentioned.

Shouldn't be an issue if using the 320mm calipers with s4 carriers though, as Rob said there the same caliper!

The carriers I bought were from a s4 and I still had the issue, hopefully you have more luck and don’t need to change the callipers.

the carriers for the S4 must be wider , you cant loose 12mm of metal without weekening the carrier, I can see how it may work if there was a reasonable gap allready so a bit more machined off would work , but then the disc would possible foul the caliper itself.....
I think its the hole that is further out than on the 320's , but maybe wrong.hopefully comparing the space from hole to caliper on both units will confirm eitherway.

Well im now at a loss, martin has very kindly measured his 320mm carriers for me and the fixing hole to slider measurement is the same as the supposedly s4 brakes i have here.

Is that possible? Could it be the depth is the same, its Just the height of the carrier is different?

it can't be just the height, the discs are round so the 12mm extra will be around the whole disc not just height wise , either the caliper has to be moved back or the carrier back to allow for the wider disc.
if the neither do, they may infact be machined deeper to allow for the 12mm extra , I cant see it but allways possible, it is the carrier that is the crucial factor with this.
At this point i'd be removing one of your fitted items and see how the s4 ones you have fit over your 320 discs.

Well im now at a loss, martin has very kindly measured his 320mm carriers for me and the fixing hole to slider measurement is the same as the supposedly s4 brakes i have here.

Is that possible? Could it be the depth is the same, its Just the height of the carrier is different?

I have some s4 carriers that I will measure when I get home from work this evening and let you know

I fitted some carriers I got from ECS which I think were for an R36 as they came in a plane zinc coating so were the cheapest they do, I was having them powder coated anyway.
Anyhow I fitted them to my TFSI special ed with the standard calipers and some new Brembo discs. The caliper is close to the edge of the disc but doesn't touch even with the powder coating.
The difference between the carriers can be seen in the webbing between the two threaded bolt holes as the s4 one has a lot more material here, I spent a lot of time looking at these trying to bag a cheap set that someone had wrongly listed on ebay but gave up in the end. not sure if ive got some pics somewhere for comparison.