Audi s4 b8 Purchase

Tom gardener

Reaction score
Hi all new on here, have been looking at buying myself a s4 b8 for a little wile now. Only really want to spend upto about 15k, can't make my mind up on a auto or Manuel!! I havnt test drove either yet as I havnt found any I really like. Any advice at buying at this price??
Might contact this chap as is fairly close to me, any thoughts on this one??

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ynew,new&sort=atcustom&price-to=16000&adPos=3

Welcome to Audi-Sport.net .
That car is from a private sale so no warranty there. You can get warranties from several on line sites that potentially would cover any gearbox issues. However some warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.
Manual car road tax £500 , DSG around £280-£300 .
DSG's are great till they start playing up and then can get very expensive. I would take any potential car you are looking to buy for an extended test drive. You are more likely to spot some issues if they exist. You could invest in a £5 bluetooth dongle and get Carista and then you could check the car for any faults. Look for a full service history including gearbox services if it's a DSG.

Thanks, I didint know about the £500 road tax on the Manuel so that will have some play in it! What sort of things tend to go wrong with the Dsg?? What shel I look for?

The mechatronic unit and clutches seem to be the main problems with them. If test driving a DSG (S-tronic) make sure it shifts through all gears smoothly once up to temperature and try reversing it up a slight incline to see if the clutch bites properly. Make sure you give it a decent test drive, not just a quick spin around the block so you know it's all up to temperature, most problems only seem to occur once the oil has got up to temp.

Just for reference,not all manual cars are in the £500 tax bracket.My 2011 manual is £280

Reactions: scotty76
That's good to know, are all the manual avents £500 because I can't seem to find one witch isn't?

DL501 7-speed s-tronic gearbox reliability is a sensitive subject. Due to reports of failure and the discussion around them, it is easy to get the impression that it is only a matter of time until they fail, which is not true. Nevertheless I'd advise any potential buyer to research the subject and so buy with his/her eyes open. I have read a lot on the subject and can summarise as follows:

There have been 3 generations of the DL501. The first generation was in 2009 and 2010 cars and (based on reports available on the web) suffers the highest failure rate. I don't know exactly when, but likely during 2011, Audi revised the box to address some of the issues. Then it was revised again sometime around the facelift in 2012, or maybe it was 2013. Maybe there is data to be found on this but I haven't come across it. There have been reports of gearbox problems with all 3 generations, but (again based on reports), the failure rate seems to be much reduced at each generation.

Other than the generation, the key factor in gearbox health is oil. Based on current recommendations the oil should be changes every 38K miles. The first generation box had two oil filters and both were lifetime fit items (not changed at oil service). Based on the engine SSP it was always Audi's intention to delete one of these filters. This was done on the second generation, and the remaining single filter was made a service item.

So my advice to the OP:
This particular car is a 2011 so it probably has a revised gearbox and not the highest risk. But if the gearbox oil service change has not been done to schedule then walk away. It is not worth the risk. If the oil changes were done but no filter changed then that might indicate that it has the first generation box. That makes it an unknown. If the OP is risk adverse, walk away.

Personally I'd recommend seeing a diagnostic scan and in particular of address 02 (gearbox) to see if anything is logged.

Reactions: jdp1962
Bring in the 2009 to 2014 TFSI bracket, does it fall into the oil consumption issue like other TFSI's? Not sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a different engine V6 supercharged against 4 cylinder turbo.

The tax bracket is based on the year of registration on the car I think.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

All the manuals I saw were £500 you can check them on the gov.uk website using the registration plate. There are exceptions as @xpoweruk says. Also as @Dippy says the S-tronic reliability is not certain. Forums contain people often looking for help but how many are working just fine? We don't know. Audi do and they are not sharing. :) I've had my S4 two and a bit years from new and am happy with it.

Reactions: xpoweruk and Bristle Hound
Iv been emailing the guy and the gearbox oil was done by Audi at 73000 and has now done 80000 so hoofuly is ok. But he has only
Had the car since November last year so not even a year?? Don't no if that means anything? I guess go look and go with my gut!

I have had mine for a year and a half before advertising it, but will soon have three kids under three years old, hence my genuine need for a Touran. I planned on keeping it for 4-5 years but it is too nice a car for my current needs.
Could be similar to the one you are enquiring about.

A year isn't that short a time of ownership, they aren't the cheapest cars to run (whilst being far from the most expensive) so people just like to tick the box sometimes with cars, then move on.

Iv been emailing the guy and the gearbox oil was done by Audi at 73000 and has now done 80000 so hoofuly is ok.

Only if that was the 2nd gearbox service. You need to find out if and when the 1st one was done.