Audi S3 towbar fitment

kularm

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im planning to go Nurburgring in January, I was wondering if theres a towbar out theres that fits the S3 8L facelift? I need to pulla trailer with a ferrari california and an evo 9 on it so was wondering if a towbar is out there that I can use

Mine has a discreet, removable, factory fitted towbar, which hardly looks as if it has been used, I didnt even relise it had one until I went to the dealer to collect it!! So I guess it could be done if it was needed.

Your looking to pull a two car trailer with an S3??

cabby how much is a towbar then and do you have any pics from the rear of your car to see the fitment

I have a car trailer but i would never suggest pulling it with a smallish car like an S3. Maybe my oldmans 4x4.

Exactly. Without trying to be a troll, the DGW of a S3 is 1400? 1500kg?, an evo and a trailer will exceed this easily, so whats a california going to be !! As well as legal issues, tread carefully is my advise. HTH :-D

Got a removable towbar on mine, cost £230 and is made by bosal

Fits in the place of the rear crash bar, can't tell its fitted until you attach the ball its self. The towball fits into the original audi tool kit as well.

I have a car trailer but i would never suggest pulling it with a smallish car like an S3. Maybe my oldmans 4x4.

Have pulled quite a few cars with my S3 using a twin axle car trailer. Had no bother and one trip was over 200 miles with a mk2 golf on the back.

Ok well, the california is defo coming, I think the weight is 1700kg with the paddleshift gearbox and the other options. The s3 should be able to pull that at a reasonable speed should it not? Its got more than enough torque has it not? :S can I get a link or model number for the tow bar

When i have towed with my S3 its had plenty of torque, just remember to take it steady on the clutch.

cabby how much is a towbar then and do you have any pics from the rear of your car to see the fitment

Not sure how much it cost, it looks as if it replaces the crash bar behind the rear bumper, I think the first owner fitted it to tow a small trailer/jet ski, but it looks as if it has never been used, I will get some pics up asap, might not be until the weekend though.

Chris

Isn't that illegal? I'm sure you have to have a certain nose weight to pull that. There's a percentage ration of what your car has to be in order to pull the weight behind it and I don't think the S3 would manage that?

I wouldn't want to tow a car in an S3, not really designed for it, put too much strain on the turbo and running gear!

I agree, not made for towing unless maybe jet ski's etc. Clutch is too fragile! Even then i wouldn't do it.

I'll stick with my discovery for that role!

It's not the power for towing that the maximum weights are set. It's braking ability. The first copper to see you pulling either the evo or cali should/will pull you over and take you to a weighbridge.

It's not the power for towing that the maximum weights are set. It's braking ability. The first copper to see you pulling either the evo or cali should/will pull you over and take you to a weighbridge.

Echo that and the fine the courts would give you would physically hurt!! :angrymod: