Audi S3 to VW Golf R - Am I a joke to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same thoughts here. I’d miss 5 pot and being able to get the power down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100%, the noise from the RS3 is just absolutely superb, never gets old! The plant your foot and go is just a compromise I don’t think I could make. That being said, a test drive in the Clubsport will either rule it in or out as the next daily.

Having just dropped the car off at Stirling Audi there I had a look at the new S3 saloon...nice but rather underwhelming coming from the RS and not really a contender. The wheels are terrible but the seats are lovely.

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally and 8YARWY
You are sat in a VERY hard segment to move away from though mate.
Face lift RS3 - I'm not sure there is anything out there worthy of moving out of that car into right now, certainly for similar money.
I had a pre-FL, so the 45 made sense to me on that level, but had I had a FL RS3 then I would not have changed.

I’ve got a lot of love for the 7.5 Golf, even had a 7.5 R for 6 months, however the lack of engine character for me was a problem.

Reactions: NevMan
If the clubsport was available in a manual it would have been a tough choice between that and the R. But the R edges it for me. The dsg box works fantastically with the 4wd system. However I owned a mK7 gti in both manual and DSG.

Both had tuning boxes so putting out decent power, granted not 300bhp.... but I LOVED the manual GTI. The Mrs ended up dsg after a few months, I hated it. Put me off ever having a front wheel drive auto again.

if you are coming from a 4wd system then a test drive would be important if you are considering the clubsport. With the rubbish weather we get here in the uk, the constant search for grip with only the fronts would get tiresome after a while ha ha

Reactions: FBF01
if are coming from a 4wd system then a test drive would be important if you are considering the clubsport. With the rubbish weather we get here in the uk, the constant search for grip with only the fronts would get tiresome after a while ha ha

yeh, this is the problem!!! In the summer months when the weathers cracking and your on a back road blast the CS quite frankly won’t be matched, but at the moment with snow and ice pulling on to a roundabout having seen a gap to then scrabble for grip would annoy me to no end. Love the thought of the CS but frankly it’s just nothing more than that, I’d be astounded if I wasn’t back in an R in 12 months time

Reactions: NevMan and Darlo
the discount on drive the deal for the Clubsport is close on 5k! Tempted by one myself, I think it will look superb in black along with the 19s that you can spec from the R. My RS3 will be 3 years old in March so 1 more year until the 4 year term is up, but nothing takes my fancy other than the CS and R. Cars are becoming outrageously expensive sadly, like the m440i but for 60k, **** off!
It is sad that Brexit and a poor exchange rate has screwed affordable cars. Talks of a surcharge now to cover Brexit red tape too. What a state!

Reactions: AdamInKent and FBF01
I’ve got a lot of love for the 7.5 Golf, even had a 7.5 R for 6 months, however the lack of engine character for me was a problem.

I found the R very sterile to drive, and the standard GTI didn’t have enough power.

The sweet spot for me was the TCR, lucky for me the dealership I used had all 3 models so I was able to test drive all of them back to back.

The R and the TCR were very close in terms of cost, however the TCR his holding on to its value very well, and you see very few of them on the road, in fact I’ve only seen 2 others during my 18 months of ownership.

Reactions: NevMan, pburv and Snake Pliskin
It is sad that Brexit and a poor exchange rate has screwed affordable cars. Talks of a surcharge now to cover Brexit red tape too. What a state!

If people stop buying them manufactures and dealerships will have to do something, I won’t be jumping into anything for probably 18 months and if there are no reasonable deals I will just pay the balance on my current car and keep it, based on my average mileage at the moment it will probably have less than 30k on it by then anyway.

Couple of friends are taking a similar approach over the next few months, it will be the first time any of us have not jumped into something new when the PCP has ended.

Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin
the discount on drive the deal for the Clubsport is close on 5k! Tempted by one myself, I think it will look superb in black along with the 19s that you can spec from the R. My RS3 will be 3 years old in March so 1 more year until the 4 year term is up, but nothing takes my fancy other than the CS and R. Cars are becoming outrageously expensive sadly, like the m440i but for 60k, **** off!
Yeah the power of youtube....
Think most are forgetting about the massive amount of high gloss plastic and the poor user iterface/controls the the golf 8 has very hard to live with long term

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan, pburv, AdamInKent and 1 other person
If people stop buying them manufactures and dealerships will have to do something, I won’t be jumping into anything for probably 18 months and if there are no reasonable deals I will just pay the balance on my current car and keep it, based on my average mileage at the moment it will probably have less than 30k on it by then anyway.

Couple of friends are taking a similar approach over the next few months, it will be the first time any of us have not jumped into something new when the PCP has ended.
Maybe the post Brexit economic climate will stop people committing to costly PCPs.

Maybe the post Brexit economic climate will stop people committing to costly PCPs.

I doubt that mate, plenty of folks around who live on "baked bean estates" and need to "keep up with the Jones" so to speak means PCP's will live on forever. :icon thumright:

I doubt that mate, plenty of folks around who live on "baked bean estates" and need to "keep up with the Jones" so to speak means PCP's will live on forever. :icon thumright:
The monthly costs associated with quite ordinary cars is eye watering these days.

I've been putting aside £400 a month since 1994 (Car Lease opt out), now increased to £500 a month and with sensible buying and selling can now run 2 respectable Audis. You do however need to build up some capital over time which buying on a PCP rarely lets you do. M&S and John Lewis FS offer cheap loans and Audi and VW offer extended warranty on cars up to 8 years old. My RS4 enables me to keep up with most of the 'Jones's' ;-) and seems to be depreciating at a rate of just over £330 a month.

Reactions: AdamInKent
yeh, this is the problem!!! In the summer months when the weathers cracking and your on a back road blast the CS quite frankly won’t be matched, but at the moment with snow and ice pulling on to a roundabout having seen a gap to then scrabble for grip would annoy me to no end. Love the thought of the CS but frankly it’s just nothing more than that, I’d be astounded if I wasn’t back in an R in 12 months time

yep I went manual mK7 gti (2 years) to manual S3 8v (18 months) to mK7 dsg GTI (6 months tops) to 3 very enjoyable years in a mK7.5 R.

The wife, who is a petrol head also got tired in the gti as she had it another 2.5 years so now has an A35 as she prefers the added grip.

Gti on a nice dry day.... golf R for 80% for the rest of the time... I live in the hills and it rains A lot ha ha.

Reactions: pburv and Snake Pliskin
If it's a standard exhaust then sound is impressive.
Get your car warmed up and get Mrs. Mally to do a couple of drive-by passes whilst you are watching and you will find your Cupra is on a par if not better than that.:thumbs up:

Reactions: Pinky1959, Snake Pliskin, NevMan and 1 other person
Get your car warmed up and get Mrs. Mally to do a couple of drive-by passes whilst you are watching and you will find your Cupra is on a par if not better than that.:thumbs up:
Only trouble with that is she wouldn't come back so soon, well she would but the tank would be near empty :blink::blink:

Reactions: BarryG79, Snake Pliskin and pburv
Only trouble with that is she wouldn't come back so soon, well she would but the tank would be near empty :blink::blink:
Lol I wouldn't blame her:whistle2:
giphy.gif

Reactions: Jassyo06, BarryG79, Jcbmally and 2 others
What I found interesting was speaking to not only a salesman but also a lad in servicing at Stirling Audi, both lads felt the S3 hadn’t moved on as much as it should have from the 8v and both preferred the 8v. Not sold many either lol. Could be a sign of the times or it’s leaving people a bit meh... interesting though. The RS6 at 110k and the RS5 sportback in there though dripping in carbon...wow

Reactions: NevMan, pburv, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
Nice looking car I agree:yes:
Are dealerships open to the public at the moment?
I wouldn't mind checking out a few dealerships.

only open if you have an appointment. I was in having an issue sorted with the exhaust flaps, was under hoping to have it under warranty until he flagged a TD1 lol. Maybe let you in if you were spending a quid or several ha.

Never been a fan of the sportback but up close the the thing was just phenomenal !! Photos do that car no justice

only open if you have an appointment. I was in having an issue sorted with the exhaust flaps, was under hoping to have it under warranty until he flagged a TD1 lol. Maybe let you in if you were spending a quid or several ha.

Never been a fan of the sportback but up close the the thing was just phenomenal !! Photos do that car no justice
Ah thought as much. Are they going to play ball on the warranty or are you having to pay?

Ah thought as much. Are they going to play ball on the warranty or are you having to pay?

managed to get a decent wee deal given the amount of business the family (parents, Aunties, uncles, cousins, friends, wife, sister in law etc) have given 1 salesman, along with all the servicing work in there so happy days. Laid it on thick hence why think they helped me out. Plus the technician even said the exhaust flap issue was more than likely caused by the ice and cold weather of late as opposed to the map on the car. Cars been mapped for 2 years and never missed a beat.

Reactions: Jcbmally and pburv

Pretty sure they are only allowed to be open for service and repair, no sales.

Reactions: AdamInKent and pburv
Pretty sure they are only allowed to be open for service and repair, no sales.
My son and a few staff are working in the dealership but no passing punters allowed into the showroom.....what a mess this country is in ....

Reactions: Jcbmally, Chris4410, pburv and 1 other person
My son and a few staff are working in the dealership but no passing punters allowed into the showroom.....what a mess this country is in ....

Picking up my new car on 1 March looks like it will be fun!

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06
Picking up my new car on 1 March looks like it will be fun!
Gaffer got a 20 plate 911 soft top in dark metallic blue stunning looking especially when its driving away/passes you by its got a lot of road presence

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
Gaffer got a 20 plate 911 soft top in dark metallic blue stunning looking especially when its driving away/passes you by its got a lot of road presence

Someone on here posted the Targa and Cab are compromised, so they might be but having driven Coupe/Cab and Targa they are but 0.2 secs to 100kmph slower. It’s still 3.6 secs and looks superb. And a plus is being another member of the Audi group! (unlike BMW!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin

We all know who to blame for the **** show!
IMG 9854

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06
Could be the price :grinning:

ha yeh, beside that, always see 911s (S or 4s) around Edinburgh, loads of Panameras and Cayennes but can’t remember the last time I saw a Targa. Love all things Porsche, the Taycan is just stunning with the right wheels.

Reactions: BarryG79, Snake Pliskin, pburv and 2 others
Could be the price :grinning:
I'm not a natural Porsche owner. Love my fast Audis but given the opportunity I decided to push the button. The Big expense in any car is depreciation and remember many people lose £6k plus a year driving a Ford Focus. Yes £120k is a lot for a car but after a discount etc and knowing new ones are selling at nearly £20k premium I reckon a year of fun will not cost me a lot. Even 5 year olds are selling for £80K.

The New Audi GT Etron is basically a Taycan and the RS4 I own has a Porsche engine (Remember original RS2!!).

Looking forward to seeing what A3/S3 electric versions might look like as sadly we are all going to have to have one soon. Current Audi Electrics are not to my liking. Hybrid A3 is totally pointless for us and the SUV big lumps look hideous and handle like a *it on a trampoline. A nice looking A3 Coupe size electron with similar range and performance to the Kia Niro electric would sell well I reckon.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
ha yeh, beside that, always see 911s (S or 4s) around Edinburgh, loads of Panameras and Cayennes but can’t remember the last time I saw a Targa. Love all things Porsche, the Taycan is just stunning with the right wheels.

Yeah they are very rare on the road .
Would love to own a Guards Red 997 Turbo one day
dream car for me .

Reactions: NevMan, Snake Pliskin, FBF01 and 1 other person
Someone on here posted the Targa and Cab are compromised, so they might be but having driven Coupe/Cab and Targa they are but 0.2 secs to 100kmph slower. It’s still 3.6 secs and looks superb. And a plus is being another member of the Audi group! (unlike BMW!)
Don't forget Seat are part of the VAG group.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
I'm not a natural Porsche owner. Love my fast Audis but given the opportunity I decided to push the button. The Big expense in any car is depreciation and remember many people lose £6k plus a year driving a Ford Focus. Yes £120k is a lot for a car but after a discount etc and knowing new ones are selling at nearly £20k premium I reckon a year of fun will not cost me a lot. Even 5 year olds are selling for £80K.

The New Audi GT Etron is basically a Taycan and the RS4 I own has a Porsche engine (Remember original RS2!!).

Looking forward to seeing what A3/S3 electric versions might look like as sadly we are all going to have to have one soon. Current Audi Electrics are not to my liking. Hybrid A3 is totally pointless for us and the SUV big lumps look hideous and handle like a *it on a trampoline. A nice looking A3 Coupe size electron with similar range and performance to the Kia Niro electric would sell well I reckon.

Eh i'am not knocking anyone who can afford a new Porsche good look to them .

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and RGBARGEE

How are they doing for on line sales?

Yep, and I can only see it getting worse. COVID + Brexit = deep ****

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, RGBARGEE and AdamInKent
Status
Not open for further replies.