Audi S3 to VW Golf R - Am I a joke to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You still thinking about going TTS route mate? Or pricing and or APR holding you back

TTS Vorsprung it is mate l just need them to release it on the Audi system...with a bit of luck hopefully Audi will add in the option of the rear oled tail lights.....

Reactions: NevMan, Flying Scotsman, Jcbmally and 1 other person
l am almost certain Audi will put the 316 bhp variant in the S3 sooner rather later as they've already put it in the MY2021 TTS range

yeah I would imagine they will do it at some point. Perhaps when they do a mini facelift.

Build week 6 for my R so could have it in early March

Reactions: Jcbmally
Drivethedeal are now doing 14-5% off the G8R great deal considering you can only get 8-5% off a S3

Golf R has always been more of a drivers car, loved my 7R I had years back, great motor! Can’t wait to hear the reviews. What spec did you go for?

As l can recall you could'nt wait to get shot of it....and the leasing deals at the time.....****** up the residuals for those who purchased on a PCP

TTS Vorsprung it is mate l just need them to release it on the Audi system...with a bit of luck hopefully Audi will add in the option of the rear oled tail lights.....

Nice

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06 and Jcbmally
@jassyo06 weird that the TTS is off the configurator but the TTRS Vorsprung is :blink: mind you £68k for the right spec TTRS, I'll have two sir :hi:

Reactions: NevMan, pburv and Jassyo06
@jassyo06 weird that the TTS is off the configurator but the TTRS Vorsprung is :blink: mind you £68k for the right spec TTRS, I'll have two sir :hi:
Think they're adding a Performance line edition of the TT as well as the 320 ps engine to the TTS hence its down for maintenance they've also dropped the TTRS Vorsprung

TT last Hurrah as they'd say

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, NevMan, Jcbmally and 2 others
If they do this last TTS properly at a sensible price I would be very tempted.

I always liked them, actually bought a brand new one which turned into a nightmare. I only had it for a week and the dealership actually suggested swapping it for the S3. That would tell you how bad it was, and that's how I ended up with my S3 saloon

Reactions: pburv, NevMan, RGBARGEE and 2 others
The TTS and the 8v A/S/RS 3 are probably the sweet spot in recent Audis before the lowering of trim quality and awful dashboards.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Chris4410
Love the TT interior, probably the best interior in car until you start getting into cars which cost twice or even three times the price.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Jcbmally and RGBARGEE
If they do this last TTS properly at a sensible price I would be very tempted.

I always liked them, actually bought a brand new one which turned into a nightmare. I only had it for a week and the dealership actually suggested swapping it for the S3. That would tell you how bad it was, and that's how I ended up with my S3 saloon

You have been unlucky, wasn’t your A35 a lemon ?

You have been unlucky, wasn’t your A35 a lemon ?

Yeah, it was. The process with Mercedes was a nightmare but it was Audi who took the decision to take the TT back so at least it was painless. They also lent me a car for 3 months for free when the S3 was on order.

Reactions: NevMan
Yeah, it was. The process with Mercedes was a nightmare but it was Audi who took the decision to take the TT back so at least it was painless. They also lent me a car for 3 months for free when the S3 was on order.
What was the problem with the TTS?

A lot of electrical issues, Audi threw the towel in after spending a week trying to fix it.
Thats a shame. We have just handed back a 66 plate Audi Approved TTS as not as described with issues. Hopefully the replacement with better provenance arriving Tuesday will be better. Absolutely lovely car and no real reason for issues. Neighbour is cuttingly considering a brand new one as they are, frankly, so much nicer than the new 8Y S3.

Reactions: Chris4410 and Snake Pliskin
This club sport looks great imo (price aside) ...

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally, Chris4410 and 1 other person
Looks and sound quite nice that, look forward to seeing one in the metal.

VW will offer discounts I suspect, so rrp shouldn’t be an issue

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
Looks and sound quite nice that, look forward to seeing one in the metal.

VW will offer discounts I suspect, so rrp shouldn’t be an issue

Agreed ... with a good discount this could be a cracking car

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally and Chris4410
Thats a shame. We have just handed back a 66 plate Audi Approved TTS as not as described with issues. Hopefully the replacement with better provenance arriving Tuesday will be better. Absolutely lovely car and no real reason for issues. Neighbour is cuttingly considering a brand new one as they are, frankly, so much nicer than the new 8Y S3.

No not such a bargain after all then. Replacement similar price? Wasn’t it £22k?

Reactions: pburv and Jcbmally
No not such a bargain after all then. Replacement similar price? Wasn’t it £22k?
Sadly not but as We bought unseen as Audi Approved and as it was not as described it’s gone. Very frustrating. Fingers crossed new one will be fine. You expect wear on a 3 year old car but ... more owners than told, crooked bumper, 3x different wheel colours, x 2 tyres not fit for purpose, non original rear parking... warning lights ...My local dealer was amazed that it was sold in such a state. Caveat Empour!

continues to look impressive ....

Reactions: Chris4410, Jcbmally and pburv
Certainly interesting.. but only FWD.

I see that as part of the appeal though mate.
300 bhp / 400 nm and 0 to 62mph in 5.6 seconds allied to a limited slip diff and 15mm lower than the standard GTi sounds great fun.
I'm a big campaigner of quattro / 4wd, but it does add a lot of weight and takes an element of fun out as the power is so linear and easy to put.
I just think back to the Scirocco R we had - that was only 260 bhp but it was great fun and felt incredibly quick.
If I were in the market now for a car, I would definitely consider a Golf Clubsport as it does look a very appealing car.
But I am not, so I won't ....... lol :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: NevMan, Chris4410, FBF01 and 2 others
I see that as part of the appeal though mate.
300 bhp / 400 nm and 0 to 62mph in 5.6 seconds allied to a limited slip diff and 15mm lower than the standard GTi sounds great fun.
I'm a big campaigner of quattro / 4wd, but it does add a lot of weight and takes an element of fun out as the power is so linear and easy to put.
I just think back to the Scirocco R we had - that was only 260 bhp but it was great fun and felt incredibly quick.
If I were in the market now for a car, I would definitely consider a Golf Clubsport as it does look a very appealing car.
But I am not, so I won't ....... lol :tearsofjoy:
I can definitely see the appeal but having owned briefly a new Saab 9-5 Aero in 2001 with around 250PS I swore I would never want a high powered Fwd car ever again. Bit like the old Montego turbo in the 8o's you didn't need to use the steering wheel to overtake, just had to rely on the 'torque steer' which was quite frankly terrifying. I am sure the Golf Clubsport is great fun but would want a much extended test drive to confirm that handling with Fwd is at least acceptable!

Reactions: Jcbmally and Jassyo06
I can definitely see the appeal but having owned briefly a new Saab 9-5 Aero in 2001 with around 250PS I swore I would never want a high powered Fwd car ever again. Bit like the old Montego turbo in the 8o's you didn't need to use the steering wheel to overtake, just had to rely on the 'torque steer' which was quite frankly terrifying. I am sure the Golf Clubsport is great fun but would want a much extended test drive to confirm that handling with Fwd is at least acceptable!

It should be fine in the dry I would have thought - just damp / wet conditions where you may need to reign things in.
Montego Turbo ... now you are showing your age lol :tonguewink: ... I always preferred the Maestro ha ha :icon thumright:

It should be fine in the dry I would have thought - just damp / wet conditions where you may need to reign things in.
Montego Turbo ... now you are showing your age lol :tonguewink: ... I always preferred the Maestro ha ha :icon thumright:
There are benefits to being an old far7 !.. Mate had a (Black) MG Maestro in 1983 A99* RAE, absolute pile of *****! Although his taste has always been dubious, He drives a mainly bling MB GLE thingy and an electric Kia earole now!

There are benefits to being an old far7 !.. Mate had a (Black) MG Maestro in 1983 A99* RAE, absolute pile of *****! Although his taste has always been dubious, He drives a mainly bling MB GLE thingy and an electric Kia earole now!

ha ha there you go then ... us MB drivers appreciate a Maestro ... but has to be the MG not the vanden plas :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: pburv, RGBARGEE, Jcbmally and 2 others
ha ha there you go then ... us MB drivers appreciate a Maestro ... but has to be the MG not the vanden plas :tearsofjoy:
Not really a proper MG though.. Mine was built in Abingdon 50 odd years ago rather than this Badge engineered Maestro stuff. I would have thought an M-B driving old gent would have preferred the Vanden Plus version, picnic tables in the back of the front seats and porta potty underneath. ;-)

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
Not really a proper MG though.. Mine was built in Abingdon 50 odd years ago rather than this Badge engineered Maestro stuff. I would have thought an M-B driving old gent would have preferred the Vanden Plus version, picnic tables in the back of the front seats and porta potty underneath. ;-)

lol ... my Dad did have a Maestro Vanden Plas :tearsofjoy: Brand new around 83 if my mind serves me right.
He only kept it a year though and then bought a 84 B reg Montego HLS .. the Monty was better :yes:

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv and Jassyo06
I have been drawn to the club sport ... but seeing the R here, it looks pretty cool too

It’s only a sales pitch video but you get some good shots of the car ...

Reactions: Darlo and Jcbmally
I have been drawn to the club sport ... but seeing the R here, it looks pretty cool too

It’s only a sales pitch video but you get some good shots of the car ...

yeah it looks half decent. Glad I ordered the bigger wheels. Standard ones look ok but think the 19’s make the car

Reactions: pburv, FBF01 and Snake Pliskin
I still prefer the clubsport to be honest, the R is not bad looking in that video.

I specd a clubsport up the other night with all the options I would want, came out at £42k. If I could get some good discount on that it could definitely be an option.

Reactions: Darlo, FBF01, Jcbmally and 2 others
I still prefer the clubsport to be honest, the R is not bad looking in that video.

I specd a clubsport up the other night with all the options I would want, came out at £42k. If I could get some good discount on that it could definitely be an option.

some very good discounts knocking about on the R so you stand a good chance.

Watch a few videos of the new clubsport. Prefer the seat design over the R and I think it sounds brilliant. Hope the R sounds as good.... doubt it though.

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally, Chris4410 and 1 other person

the discount on drive the deal for the Clubsport is close on 5k! Tempted by one myself, I think it will look superb in black along with the 19s that you can spec from the R. My RS3 will be 3 years old in March so 1 more year until the 4 year term is up, but nothing takes my fancy other than the CS and R. Cars are becoming outrageously expensive sadly, like the m440i but for 60k, **** off!

Reactions: Jcbmally, RGBARGEE, 8YARWY and 3 others
the discount on drive the deal for the Clubsport is close on 5k! Tempted by one myself, I think it will look superb in black along with the 19s that you can spec from the R. My RS3 will be 3 years old in March so 1 more year until the 4 year term is up, but nothing takes my fancy other than the CS and R. Cars are becoming outrageously expensive sadly, like the m440i but for 60k, **** off!

Possibly one of the best cars out at the moment ...

Reactions: Jcbmally and FBF01
Possibly one of the best cars out at the moment ...

litrally watched every video lol, but it does look some bit of kit, the noise sounds superb for it being a 2 litre and the reviews are great. Issue is when your used to all wheel drive then jump in a FWD, could irritate me ha. I mean a CS with a simple stage 1 remap will be rapid and quite possibly my next car unless they bring out say a CS S or something. Well see!

Reactions: Jcbmally, 8YARWY and NevMan
litrally watched every video lol, but it does look some bit of kit, the noise sounds superb for it being a 2 litre and the reviews are great. Issue is when your used to all wheel drive then jump in a FWD, could irritate me ha. I mean a CS with a simple stage 1 remap will be rapid and quite possibly my next car unless they bring out say a CS S or something. Well see!

Yeah I would have the same thought process after having had 4wd for 13 years but I reckon it would be worth a punt on this car to go 2wd.

Reactions: Jcbmally, FBF01 and NevMan
I have jumped to the TCR which is almost 300bhp with front wheel drive, similar to yourself my previous 3 cars had all been AWD. Definitely a different driving experience, the front wheel drive car feels much more nimble and light, it definitely doesn’t have the off the line capabilities of the AWD models but to be honest that’s the only place I notice

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin, FBF01 and 1 other person

Same thoughts here. I’d miss 5 pot and being able to get the power down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
Same thoughts here. I’d miss 5 pot and being able to get the power down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are sat in a VERY hard segment to move away from though mate.
Face lift RS3 - I'm not sure there is anything out there worthy of moving out of that car into right now, certainly for similar money.
I had a pre-FL, so the 45 made sense to me on that level, but had I had a FL RS3 then I would not have changed.

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally, 8YARWY and 1 other person
Status
Not open for further replies.