Audi S3 to VW Golf R - Am I a joke to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you found your taste buds again?

I’ve never lost taste lol .... just that my palette reaches further than yours ha ha :)

I’ve always liked Golf’s. I was unsure at first with this new one but it’s grown on me.

Just so expensive now.

Reactions: Jcbmally and RGBARGEE
I’ve never lost taste lol .... just that my palette reaches further than yours ha ha :)

I’ve always liked Golf’s. I was unsure at first with this new one but it’s grown on me.

Just so expensive now.

Love how he insults others car choices but his are the best...A45s is a lot of car for the money mate And a weapon

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv and Snake Pliskin
To my mind, the 8R has clearly been repositioned upwards in comparison to other previously peer cars. The 7R was more of a peer to the S3, but the 8R is firmly between the S3 and RS3. Similar with the A35 and A45S. The 7R would be a straight match to the A35 but the 8R is somewhere in between.

Reactions: FBF01, Jcbmally, pburv and 1 other person

Just so expensive now.
I have loved Golf for years, we’ve had mk 2,3,4,5,6 mostly Gti versions. Nowadays they are rarer than Audis.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Love how he insults others car choices but his are the best...A45s is a lot of car for the money mate And a weapon

Rgbargee just likes to wind me up ... it’s harmless fun lol. He’s knows I have exquisite taste really & is envious of my Merc really :icon thumright:

Reactions: Jassyo06, NevMan and Jcbmally
I have loved Golf for years, we’ve had mk 2,3,4,5,6 mostly Gti versions. Nowadays they are rarer than Audis.

If money was no object I’d love a new Clubsport as a toy but it’s so close to an R in price it’s madness.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Rgbargee just likes to wind me up ... it’s harmless fun lol. He’s knows I have exquisite taste really & is envious of my Merc really :icon thumright:
Thanks for clarifying our banter G. Life is too important to be taken seriously .. oh and not all my cars have been great. Think after 40 years of VW and Audis I’ve picked up just a little evidence and experiential knowledge.

Thanks for clarifying our banter G. Life is too important to be taken seriously .. oh and not all my cars have been great. Think after 40 years of VW and Audis I’ve picked up just a little evidence and experiential knowledge.

Absolutely :icon thumright:

The 45s has some immense power too.

see it destroy the 35 here.

not a fan of the yellow paint though ...

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, POWER.

Reactions: pburv and Snake Pliskin
ha ha yeah you can just imagine him saying that :)
Good brakes, good handling but I agree you cant beat Clarkson, poooowwwweeeerrr. As per video 100bhp makes a hell of a difference :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, NevMan and pburv
After being in the interior of both the golfs infotainment is awful IMO, lack of physical switch’s is a massive pain the in **** and hard to get to things like heated seats etc... 8Y interior much nicer than the 8V once you get used to it. And the saloon looks better than the hatch. The golf R may have more power on paper but let’s be honest the golf will be no quicker. And the fact the golf r costs more I don’t see the appeal. As the residual will be less than the S3 therefore cost of ownership will be a fair bit higher.

Reactions: Jcbmally, AdamInKent and pburv
After being in the interior of both the golfs infotainment is awful IMO, lack of physical switch’s is a massive pain the in **** and hard to get to things like heated seats etc... 8Y interior much nicer than the 8V once you get used to it. And the saloon looks better than the hatch. The golf R may have more power on paper but let’s be honest the golf will be no quicker. And the fact the golf r costs more I don’t see the appeal. As the residual will be less than the S3 therefore cost of ownership will be a fair bit higher.
The only part of the above I agree with is the last sentence apart from the word ‘fair’.

The only part of the above I agree with is the last sentence apart from the word ‘fair’.
Just specced up a golf r to the same spec as my s3 and it was £45k!!! £4k more than my S3, which means at least £75/£100 more on PCP. Which is a fair bit!... also my S3 has been on the dyno and it was 318bhp.

Reactions: pburv
Just specced up a golf r to the same spec as my s3 and it was £45k!!! £4k more than my S3, which means at least £75/£100 more on PCP. Which is a fair bit!... also my S3 has been on the dyno and it was 318bhp.

Lol you weren’t trying hard enough
1236a84dfad1dcbb8ede2cdba97865d2.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, NevMan and 1 other person
From a current owner of a 8v S3......perspective Adding a 10-5 "touchscreen built into the dashboard doesn't mean the 8y S3 has a better interior than the 8v mate far from it

"No Option for the 12-3 "screen"10-5" screen taken from the A1
Cheap and nasty plastic on the front armrests
Cheap and nasty looking centre console=high gloss plastic,naff gear selector,no sliding cover for the cup holders
Even cheaper and nastier plastic employed on the rear door cards
The only improvement the 8y has standard over the 8v is the seats
And if my memory serves right all 310 ps FL S3's run with around 318 bhp or there abouts

I actually like the new 8Y dashboard design vents style/layout its just the materials used that really let's it down

Ps The Saloon has always been the better looking variant

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv and NevMan
Agreed! Not sure about the saloon looking better, still looks like a baby A4 saloon. Often wondered if there would be a market for an A3 Avant.

Just been watching videos of the Golf8 R on YouTube sounds pretty good no soft limiter fitted

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin, pburv and 2 others
Just been watching videos of the Golf8 R on YouTube sounds pretty good no soft limiter fitted

Spotted that... so much less common than an Audi these days.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06

But would you pay 3.1k for that exhaust

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin, pburv and 1 other person

Wouldn't buy a Golf in the first place mate but it having no rev limiter when every other new German performance car has is puzzeling

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan and pburv

Sounds like a day on the ranges. lol
I appreciate a good 'bang' :gun2:

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin, Jassyo06 and 1 other person

To be fair ... it does look flipping cool though & adds presence to the rear of the car (& I bet doesn’t flake lol) and sounds pretty good.

You don’t see many Golf R’s with them (mainly due to the cost) so would make the car feel more unique / special too.

Fair play on VW offering it as an option imo.

I thought it was circa £2k ... has it gone up to £3k now ?

Reactions: NevMan, Jassyo06, Jcbmally and 1 other person

With those alloys, that exhaust, rear spoiler etc ... it looks cool

Based on alternatives currently, it would be high on my list of possibles if I were looking for a car in this class :icon thumright:

Reactions: FBF01, NevMan, Jcbmally and 1 other person
This colour really suits the GTi and shows off the lines / creases well ...

Reactions: RGBARGEE, Jcbmally and pburv
Well l have decided on my next car for numerous reasons uber interior older Audi build quality .....has everything l desire option wise and more yeah it's the TTS Vorsprung 320 not fully decided on the colour yet......dont think the TTS warrants a exclusive paint though....????but exterior colours/interior design packs is a bit convoluted, its available to order in Germany atm....and the UK website Configurator on the TT/TTS is down atm for changes.....

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
Well l have decided on my next car for numerous reasons uber interior older Audi build quality .....has everything l desire option wise and more yeah it's the TTS Vorsprung 320 not fully decided on the colour yet......dont think the TTS warrants a exclusive paint though....????but exterior colours/interior design packs is a bit convoluted, its available to order in Germany atm....and the UK website Configurator on the TT/TTS is down atm for changes.....
Very nice.. not sure the extra over a BE is worth it though. My choice would be Mythos which looks the DBs but @snakepliskin will tell me that’s boring!
209ED64B E24D 4D4F 8758 081E8B9A0E46

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
Very nice.. not sure the extra over a BE is worth it though. My choice would be Mythos which looks the DBs but @snakepliskin will tell me that’s boring!View attachment 213855

My ocd could'nt live with a Black car...l dont like the alloys on the BE ...and there's no option for matrix on the BE the Carbon inlays and the alloys on the Vorsprung are stunning to my eyes only slight negative about the TT is l aint that keen on the rear tail light design....atm you need to buy the TTRS Vorsprung to get the OLED rear tail lights which has a completely different light design

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
My ocd could'nt live with a Black car...l dont like the alloys on the BE ...and there's no option for matrix on the BE the Carbon inlays and the alloys on the Vorsprung are stunning to my eyes only slight negative about the TT is l aint that keen on the rear tail light design....atm you need to buy the TTRS Vorsprung to get the OLED rear tail lights which has a completely different light design
I understand that. TT is a very sensitive design when it comes to colour choice. Navarra Blue if they do it can look lovely but colour choice is very personal. I’m not a fan of white on the TT or Red but clearly it’s your shout. Fad colour Turbo blue maybe? Mrs RG is loving her 4 year old TTS, shame Brighton Audi were so bad preparing it !

Last edited:
You've gone full circle mate. It was your first choice quite a while back.
As for the rear lights.. You could always get them retrofitted with little trouble I would think?
Good luck with whatever you decide.:thumbs up:
ps
Here you go...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...111548&hash=item3666e03fb6:g:z0AAAOSwU4hdxAfX

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06, Jcbmally, NevMan and 1 other person
Reactions: Jassyo06 and Snake Pliskin

I don’t think you’ll regret that decision pal.
Having owned a mark II TTS & a mark III S line & further backed up with RG’s current experience, I think it’s a certain cracker of a car :icon thumright:

Very interested to hear what colour you go for - why do you think it may not warrant exclusive vs an S3 though ?

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan and pburv
Status
Not open for further replies.