Audi S3 to VW Golf R - Am I a joke to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna have to say I think I prefer the new R to the S3 looks wise, less fakery on the outside and just looks a bit better overall. Which is something I never thought I'd say as I thought the MK8 was hideous when it was released. Just wish they did a 3dr!
New "R" logo looks like its been stolen from Honda

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv and NevMan
This has just been posted on R forum.

“According to coast to coast cars the starting price is £39270 on R 2.0 Tsi 320. Already offering 10% off ( £35310 )“

So starting price is higher than S3 but more chance of discount.

Have to agree with you, and yes, a real shame about the loss of 3 door on many models, but seems they weren’t very popular.

I miss the 3 door option as well, apparently less than 5% of sales of A3/S3 were 3 doors. It essentially made it financially unviable for Audi to continue building them.

I imagine it was something similar for other manufacturers with 3 door models.

Reactions: pburv, Kayobong and NevMan
This has just been posted on R forum.

“According to coast to coast cars the starting price is £39270 on R 2.0 Tsi 320. Already offering 10% off ( £35310 )“

So starting price is higher than S3 but more chance of discount.

I am sure. Always discount more on the golfs, and no surprise the residual tends to also be lower

I miss the 3 door option as well, apparently less than 5% of sales of A3/S3 were 3 doors. It essentially made it financially unviable for Audi to continue building them.

I imagine it was something similar for other manufacturers with 3 door models.
3 doors looked good on the early hatchbacks, but as with each generation the cars grew in size the 3 door started to look daft, the doors became humongous to fit the body and the 5 door sportback actually started to look the nicer car, the crossover was the 8V, the 8V sportback is a much nicer looking car than the 3 door

Reactions: JohnM100, NevMan and Jassyo06
3 doors looked good on the early hatchbacks, but as with each generation the cars grew in size the 3 door started to look daft, the doors became humongous to fit the body and the 5 door sportback actually started to look the nicer car, the crossover was the 8V, the 8V sportback is a much nicer looking car than the 3 door

I had a 3dr 8V, I think it looked great but the doors were huge, made parking a nightmare at times, especially with how deep the doors were.

Reactions: NevMan and Kayobong

I preferred the 3dr 8V to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a hatchback and all of them are bland looking too my eyes ....Golf 8 interior has far more high gloss plastic than the A3 has .....golf's normally are more expensive on a pcp due to having lower residuals than a A3

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
Absolutely right mate. VW residuals are still a little suspect for some reason. Why are VW Audi screwing up their dashboard design?

Audi have definitely lost the plot these days so maybe a VW will become more exclusive if that’s what folks want?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06
I am sure. Always discount more on the golfs, and no surprise the residual tends to also be lower

Also ... if you get the right deal on a heavily discounted purchase price, you can afford to take a proportionate hit on the residual.

Reactions: NevMan
Absolutely right mate. VW residuals are still a little suspect for some reason. Why are VW Audi screwing up their dashboard design?

Audi have definitely lost the plot these days so maybe a VW will become more exclusive if that’s what folks want?

Not always, my TCR is over £100 per month cheaper on PCP compared to what my S3 PCP was.

Probably quite a lot to do with the apr rate being 3 times lower than Audi's, and that I was able to obtain a significant discount

Reactions: TDI-line, Jcbmally, TYb and 2 others
Not always, my TCR is over £100 per month cheaper on PCP compared to what my S3 PCP was.

Probably quite a lot to do with the apr rate being 3 times lower than Audi's, and that I was able to obtain a significant discount

The TCR is also a low build / rare / desirable car and should hold its value well.

You enjoying the TCR then mate - I really rate the Golf GTI and in TCR form it does look a great car / package :icon thumright:

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally, Chris4410 and 1 other person
The TCR is also a low build / rare / desirable car and should hold its value well.

You enjoying the TCR then mate - I really rate the Golf GTI and in TCR form it does look a great car / package :icon thumright:

Have to agree the TCR is a stunner, I do have a soft spot for Golf GTI's. I'd love a Clubsport or a TCR one day.

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally, Chris4410 and 1 other person

I am indeed mate, very pleased with the balance of usability, performance and fun. Plus it has all the technology I like, for what it cost its a very good package. Spec for spec it cost me about 10k less than my S3 did, sure it was 4 wheel drive and had some better internal plastic here and there, but it wasn't 10k of a difference.

If fact the only thing that was truly better in the S3 was the sound system, its really hard to beat the B&O.

Reactions: pburv, NevMan, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
Golf R and clubsport now on VW Configurator.... confirming is fooking expensive and jumps into £40k+ bracket extremely quickly

I just specced up a new Golf R on the configuration and loaded it with all the options I would like. Came up to £53k (without any discount) pricey.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv, TYb and NevMan
I just specced up a new Golf R on the configuration and loaded it with all the options I would like. Came up to £53k (without any discount) pricey.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Flipping heck, that’s bonkers money

Reactions: NevMan and pburv
At that price, makes you wonder what the starting price of the RS3 will be.

Reactions: NevMan, pburv and TYb
IMG 1782

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FBF01, pburv and NevMan
Flipping heck, that’s bonkers money

That's madness - I'm so surprised that the Golf has 10 horsepower more than the S3 and is more expensive - I'm surprised Audi (VAG) let that happen

I know it's popular but £50K for a Golf!!

Reactions: pburv, NevMan and Kayobong
The golf was popular in the MK7 guise, but didn’t have much in way of competitors.

Now there a quite a few 300ish bhp 4wd hot hatches.

DTD the deal are already giving 11% discount I think but still too expensive for a Golf.

That's madness - I'm so surprised that the Golf has 10 horsepower more than the S3 and is more expensive - I'm surprised Audi (VAG) let that happen

I know it's popular but £50K for a Golf!!

Just had a go myself, it's crazy. £49k with only 4 options selected.

At that price, makes you wonder what the starting price of the RS3 will be.

I reckon RS3 will hit £60k without too
Much effort

Reactions: FBF01, Chris4410, 8YARWY and 1 other person
Seems that ^^^ '' And we all know why that is! '' ^^^ is NOT the main reason prices are going up.

https://europe.autonews.com/automak...ise-significantly-comply-co2-emissions-limits
@RGBARGEE We have left the EU...Get over it.
Never. Lies and cheating never succeeds for long. €1.40 2015 €1.10 2020.. there are clearly other factor but dealing in fact an over 25% devaluation of the £U.K. exchange rates is pretty much £40k to £50k. Sadly a further 10% is on the cards and importers are anticipating this in their pricing. Note Audi price promise for now. Audi TTS 2015 £40k 2020 £ c£50k sad times for German car lovers.

Last edited:
Reactions: FBF01 and AdamInKent
Never. Lies and cheating never succeeds for long. €1.40 2015 €1.10 2020.. there are clearly other factor but dealing in fact an over 25% devaluation of the £U.K. exchange rates is pretty much £40k to £50k. Sadly a further 10% is on the cards and importers are anticipating this in their pricing. Note Audi price promise for now. Audi TTS 2015 £40k 2020 £ c£50k sad times for German car lovers.
Saying '' a further 10%' is on the cards '' is not fact until it or if it happens.

Reactions: txosbi
If that's the future pricing, sales will fall dramatically.

A very small percentage of the UK will have £50k to spend on a car, even the lesser models will suffer as again a lot of folks will not be paying +£30k for an A3

Reactions: FBF01, txosbi and pburv
Just marketing taking advantage of the situation. Still not fact till it happens.

As is increases with everything the World over.
Not saying anything more on the matter.

Reactions: NevMan
Why don’t these political spouts/rants/moans get banned? Tiresome tbh

Reactions: 8YARWY, pburv and txosbi
RGBARGEE, give it a rest on brexit. You are so boring with your rants.

Reactions: NevMan, 8YARWY and pburv
RGBARGEE, give it a rest on brexit. You are so boring with your rants.
I think you will find I didn’t start it this evening. I didn’t even mention the B word!! Economists and politicians are directly linked. Arguably Brexit crosses all political views! burying heads in the sand is no way forward and there is genuine concern about car prices. I for one want to continue to enjoy EU cars without the price hikes.

Reactions: FBF01 and quattrorally
Hear hear mate
I tend to stay out of things when it looks like it would start trouble on the forum but listening to the 'guff' he comes out with constantly on the same subject really winds me up. I'm sorry now I responded.. He's like a stuck record.

Reactions: NevMan and 8YARWY
Status
Not open for further replies.